The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on February 09, 2015, 12:08:12 PM
For Florestan especially.

Why, thanks. Lots of things I agree with, lots of things I disagree with. Tayler's knowledge of history in particular is seriously flawed, but that's only to be expected from a liberal journalist (US-style liberal, I mean).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Todd

I was sure this ceasefire would hold.  Oh well, time for another stiffly worded memorandum. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on February 16, 2015, 07:24:50 AM
I was sure this ceasefire would hold.  Oh well, time for another stiffly worded memorandum.

After hearing Putin triumphally announcing something to the effect of peace reigning once again in Ukraine, I told my father "Putin announces peace, so we should expect war to escalate in the near future. "  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Todd

Brian

How are you feeling about the Kitzhaber Kerfuffle?

Todd

Quote from: Brian on February 18, 2015, 03:31:18 PM
How are you feeling about the Kitzhaber Kerfuffle?

The putz got his due.  And all this over what amounts to comparatively small sums of money.

Florestan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 18, 2015, 06:11:55 PM
A demonstration of love your neighbor...
http://www.timesofisrael.com/woman-attacks-jewish-neighbor-to-convince-her-to-convert/

This article begs several questions.

1. Were there any witnesses? If yes, why did they not intervene to stop that Haragan loon from doing what she did, or at least call the police? If no, how can one know the truth about what really happened?

2. Why did the beaten woman not report to the police right after the incident?

2. How did that Haragan loon know that the other woman was Jewish? Did she take a wild guess, or were they acquaintances?

Florestan

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on February 19, 2015, 12:49:47 AM
Some impressive Islamic breakthroughs in entomology and pharmaceutical industry.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2015/02/16/muhammad-on-flies-and-disease-the-scientific-wisdom-of-the-quran-and-hadith/

I don't doubt his main  point, but judging from his last paragraph Mr. Coyne apparently knows nothing about Jewish practice, which obligates hand washing in exactly the circumstances he mentions.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 19, 2015, 06:21:38 PM
I don't doubt his main  point, but judging from his last paragraph Mr. Coyne apparently knows nothing about Jewish practice, which obligates hand washing in exactly the circumstances he mentions.
Well if we're going to split hairs ... Where did he-who-must-not-be-named mandate such washing? Coyne is talking about about God is said to have told his followers, not what they figured out on their own. If its Jewish practice because Jews figured it out without help from a grumpy old man in the sky then Coyne's point is not undercut.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on February 19, 2015, 07:44:05 PM
Well if we're going to split hairs ... Where did he-who-must-not-be-named mandate such washing? Coyne is talking about about God is said to have told his followers, not what they figured out on their own. If its Jewish practice because Jews figured it out without help from a grumpy old man in the sky then Coyne's point is not undercut.
Exodus 30:17ff is the start of it.