The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

But it does not say anything about a control group. They should have had a control group listening to birdsong, another to "soft" muzak or so, another one to hard rock or so.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 25, 2015, 05:36:20 PM
Direct democracy in action!

"be put to death by bullets to the head or by any other convenient method"

Throw them off high places, as some Muslim clerics advise. Plenty of skyscrapers in California...  ;D

Is this insanity really going to to be turned into a referendum?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2015, 01:19:15 AM
Is this insanity really going to to be turned into a referendum?

Maybe.  The California Attorney General has publicly asked the court to prevent this from moving forward because she has no power to stop it. 

I'm not very familiar with the California initiative system, but a decent number of signatures would be needed to get it on the ballot (>300K), and in the very unlikely event it passed (as in 0% probability), it would be immediately struck down by a state or federal court.

Of more interest to me, but not enough to do a whole lot of digging, is the intent of Mr McLaughlin, who submitted the initiative.  I find it hard to believe that he actually advocates what he submitted, though he may, and see it as either A.) a disguised attack on the initiative process itself, or B.) a ham-fisted yet clever way to stoke discussion about LGBT (or is it LGBTQ or LGBTQQIA?) issues, forcing various politicians into uncomfortable discussions.  One would also be able to ascertain the geography of the pro- and con- voters.  Or, it could be a publicity stunt done in extremely bad taste.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

A publicity stunt done in extremely bad taste is just a Californian's way of wishing you good morning!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Ken B

Public school in the USA http://reason.com/blog/2015/03/27/boy-got-a-haircut-like-his-military-step

Somebody needs to be suspended, but it ain't the student.

Todd

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

Kremlin says Russians are drinking less and exercising more.

Survey sez:  Kremlin may just be air-brushing the data;  plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on April 07, 2015, 04:51:34 AM
The Russians in the army, perhaps, as they are preparing for the next move.  ;D ;D ;D
Nonsense - they drink twice as much when planning their moves.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

I know why the caged bird snickers

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-maya-angelou-stamp-quote-20150407-story.html

My stamp will feature the complete works of Homer. Go big or go home I say.

Todd

ibanezmonster

Todd

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on April 12, 2015, 07:25:50 AM
A victory for equality and diversity in the workplace, or a cynical maneuver to keep wages down while appearing to appease contemporary political values?  (Or a way to stay in the news?)
My first thought, echoed in this comment:

Quoteheres contemporary hysterical feminism in a nutshell:
because women allegedly dont negotiate for higher salaries as well as men do,
reddit's "feminist" ceo has banned ALL employees from negotiating for higher pay. take the low rate youre offerred or leave it.

so now everyone has to suffer with a low pay rate, with no recourse -- because of the weakness of women.

and feminists hail this as a victory.

Reminds me of when that absolutely wonderful person, Jessica Valenti, wrote an article about her solution to the gender pay gap: pay men less. And when confronted by the idea that you can't do that because it would be gender discrimination, she replied: "Bummer. Because nothing else is working."  Maybe this is a solution, then. ;D

Todd