J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 05, 2017, 07:56:00 PM

Landed today. The first thing of note is the beautiful presentation, with the outer box much more hardy and stylish than the dull Amazon image conveys, with a slip-off top. 

The second thing of note is the colorful insides, with the sleeves color-coordinated in rainbow-like shades of the red/purple/blue spectrum.

The third thing of note is the French-only booklet, though thankfully the notes are available in English on the Ligia website.

The fourth thing of note is how physically shaken I was by the jaw-dropping beauty of the music. Not to mention the organ (Gérald Guillemin, Chavagnes, 1988) is a stunner, with Vernet lightening it up for all the music's worth. As disc 1 came to a close (all 65 minutes of it) I was very nearly in a state of euphoric overload.

The fifth thing of note is my box also includes that coupon for the free organ concertos set. However, it remains to be seen if Ligia will deliver to the US. Crossing my fingers.

(The sixth thing of note is I will be tipping my hat to Jeffrey Smith for now until time ends :))

That was exactly the same reaction I had to Vernet's playing, when the first disc started to spin in my player.  :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SurprisedByBeauty

Landed today. The first thing of note is the beautiful presentation, with the outer box much more hardy and stylish than the dull Amazon image conveys, with a slip-off top. 

The second thing of note is the colorful insides, with the sleeves color-coordinated in rainbow-like shades of the red/purple/blue spectrum.

The third thing of note is the French-only booklet, though thankfully the notes are available in English on the Ligia website.

The fourth thing of note is how physically shaken I was by the jaw-dropping beauty of the music. Not to mention the organ (Gérald Guillemin, Chavagnes, 1988) is a stunner, with Vernet lightening it up for all the music's worth. As disc 1 came to a close (all 65 minutes of it) I was very nearly in a state of euphoric overload.

The fifth thing of note is my box also includes that coupon for the free organ concertos set. However, it remains to be seen if Ligia will deliver to the US. Crossing my fingers.

(The sixth thing of note is I will be tipping my hat to Jeffrey Smith for now until time ends :))

What a neat reaction! Makes me want to pull my set from the shelves. But funnily, I never had the same revelatory experience with the first few discs in the set and only warmed up to it a few discs in, so I'm wondering if you could tell me, which order the works come in, in this re-release. (Or simply what's on that first disc.)

Meanwhile:

#morninglistening to #Bach on @capricciorec

http://a-fwd.to/79U9YIF

Trio Sonatas w/Holm Vogel, East Germany's o... http://ift.tt/2f2iq1C

#morninglistening to #Bach on @capricciorec w/Matthias Eisenberg

http://a-fwd.to/8X57HlR

#organMusic #historica... http://ift.tt/2xGG23j

and

#morninglistening to #Bach on @outheremusic's #Ricercar label:http://a-fwd.to/3U1Qckj

#bernardfoccroulle playing ... http://ift.tt/2quLy8K

kishnevi

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 05, 2017, 10:27:18 PM
What a neat reaction! Makes me want to pull my set from the shelves. But funnily, I never had the same revelatory experience with the first few discs in the set and only warmed up to it a few discs in, so I'm wondering if you could tell me, which order the works come in, in this re-release. (Or simply what's on that first disc.)

I'd like to oblige and give a track listing for the entire box but time isn't always on my side, my friend. :( However, as time goes by I'll try to add track listings on a disc-by-disc basis.

Anyway, below is the track listing for disc 1, with the BWVs implied for each listing:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 05, 2017, 10:16:44 PM
That was exactly the same reaction I had to Vernet's playing, when the first disc started to spin in my player.  :)

Indeed, I can see why! :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Marc

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 06, 2017, 06:21:45 PM
I'd like to oblige and give a track listing for the entire box but time isn't always on my side, my friend. :( However, as time goes by I'll try to add track listings on a disc-by-disc basis.

Anyway, below is the track listing for disc 1, with the BWVs implied for each listing:

Which means that, as far as I can see, nothing has changed.

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVP/Vernet.htm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000038IDN

Glad to hear you like this set!

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on September 06, 2017, 10:38:50 PM
It's inspiring to hear such a positive response like DD's and so I thought I'd check out two partitas on Vernet's CD1, 766 and 767, they're on different neo-baroque organs in France. The first things that lept out were the colours, lightness,  swinging rhythms, pace, and the generally cheerful feeling.

Yep.
From around 2009/2010, when I bought the (former) complete set, I especially remember the latter... after listening to the first couple of Vernet discs (which, in my case, were the 1988 Montélimar recording and the first disc of the official integral), I felt GOOD.
Even though I feel pretty good right now, I should relisten to the bloke soon.
:)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 06, 2017, 06:21:45 PM

766, 1117 etc.

That's plenty. Thanks much! Yes, same order as the original, then. Well, into the player it goes! (After I'm through with another of the Leipzig Bach Edition CDs.)

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on September 06, 2017, 10:49:12 PM
, I should relisten to the bloke soon.
:)

I saw him play French baroque music and maybe some Liszt in Frejus once, met him afterwards, nice guy, forgettable performance, forgettable organ. After the concert I walked home to San Raphael and there was the most extraordinary storm en route. My friend called it a "rupture des cieux", which is a phrase which has always stuck in my mind, for all I know it's natural in French but it sounds so poetically pompous to me!  I got very very very wet.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Marc on September 06, 2017, 10:01:47 PM
Which means that, as far as I can see, nothing has changed.

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVP/Vernet.htm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000038IDN

The Amazon listing has it right for all fifteen discs. So, yes, the reissue is an exact duplicate of the original(?) issue. But one oddity: that linked Amazon issue has a different cover than the one I've seen previously, the cover that has us all gringing:

Although the gringing box has all nineteen discs (and a published date of 2008) as opposed to fifteen. Since the linked issue has a published date of 1999 I wonder if the gringing box is actually a prior reissue?

QuoteGlad to hear you like this set!

It'll be interesting as time goes by comparing Vernet's set to Foccroulle's. I am very much looking forward to that...

Dancing Divertimentian

Disc 3...the ability to startle is again off the charts...half in a daze.............

Marc

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 07, 2017, 04:36:59 PM
Although the gringing box has all nineteen discs (and a published date of 2008) as opposed to fifteen. Since the linked issue has a published date of 1999 I wonder if the gringing box is actually a prior reissue?

Yes.
In 2009, in a local cd shop, the gringing boxset was grinning to me at budget-price. I was grinning both because of the cover and because of the price, and whilst listening back home I was grinning even more.
This partical reissue disappeared from the catalogue rather quickly afterwards, if I remember well (with a few exceptions on the internet, of course).

Harry

My gringing box, despite what is said about 19 cd's, holds only 15. Must be a later release with the same cover, when they decided to take 4 discs out.

Marc

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 07, 2017, 11:44:11 PM
My gringing box, despite what is said about 19 cd's, holds only 15. Must be a later release with the same cover, when they decided to take 4 discs out.

Or they sold you that partical set for a particular reason: to make sure that there was no Marie-Claire to annoy you. ;)

Harry

Quote from: Marc on September 08, 2017, 12:11:50 AM
Or they sold you that partical set for a particular reason: to make sure that there was no Marie-Claire to annoy you. ;)

I always appreciated a man that can see through the mists of confusion :laugh:

prémont

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 07, 2017, 04:36:59 PM

The original issue of the first 15 CDs was in 3 CDs jewelboxes. I own four of these.
Two (Clavierübung 0 and the one with Alain) of the four other CDs (19 minus 15) were released individually. I do not know about the rest, but probably they were released individually too.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 08, 2017, 12:14:38 AM
I always appreciated a man that can see through the mists of confusion :laugh:

Heartily recommended: Marc the Fog Horn. 8)

SurprisedByBeauty

#morninglistening to #Bach on @capricciorec w/Felix Friedrich

http://a-fwd.to/3G6r15z

on the @resischlossaltb organ by Tobias Heinrich Gottfried Trost.

Includes a terrific #PreludeAndFugue #BWV552 ("St. Anne"). Love the whole series. Too bad it only extends to five CDs.

My gringing-Box contains the whole chalupa - and with room for at least four, five more CDs, despite the big (awkwardly arranged) booklet. It's "Lidi 0104190-08, distributed by Harmonia Mundi. HM15x19. Latest copyright on it 2007... but that's from the last work recorded on it (disc 19, transcription of the Ciaccona) not from the publishing of the box. Oh, and for bragging-purposes I am showing off Vernet's signature on my box, which I got after a concert of his at the Wiener Konzerthaus.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Marc on September 07, 2017, 11:14:08 PM
Yes.
In 2009, in a local cd shop, the gringing boxset was grinning to me at budget-price. I was grinning both because of the cover and because of the price, and whilst listening back home I was grinning even more.
This partical reissue disappeared from the catalogue rather quickly afterwards, if I remember well (with a few exceptions on the internet, of course).

Thanks for the info and, err...grins... :)