J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: listener on May 14, 2010, 11:13:46 AM
re Kraft - Bach organ works
If the reissue is of the Vox Box set, the organs include: St. Nicolai Kirche, Mölln,  St. Ludgeri Kirche, Norden,   St. Pankrantius Kirche, Neuenfelde,   Leufsta Bruks Kyrka,   Krist Kirke, Tønder,  Bielfeld Organ, Stade,  the 2 Riepp organs at Ottobeuren  (organ mass),  Weingarten, Bremervörde,  Amorbach, and Stade.
Late 1950's recordings, were regarded as good in their time.  As they were about the only complete set there was not much competition.    The Vox pressings were okay, the recording quality not too bad, and I'll be getting to a re-hear of these eventually.
Must be the same set, did not check all the organs, but your list looks familiar. Nevertheless the recordings for Vox were made between 1961 and 1967. Reissued in 2006, as part of the series 'Musical Concepts' in a plain small set in a hard paper box.

Coopmv

Here is one excellent version of Bach Trio Sonatas ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on May 12, 2010, 02:11:05 AM
Any link of this kind is interesting in my book. :)
Thanks for posting, and let's get back to the fifties!
Where's my Brylcreem?
Did you win a lottery recently or what? :P
Anyway: Rogg's Die Kunst der Fuge is a must-have IMO. He also offers a completed 'final Fugue'. The other discs are fine examples of solid Bach organ playing, all chorale-free works btw. There are some experienced Rogg-listeners somewhere on this board, like Bulldog Don and (of course) a certain mr. Premont. From what I've read in reviews and in forums, I think most of the Rogg-connaisseurs value his earlier Harmonia Mundi recordings more than the EMI ones. Alas: the HM integral is officially OOP and the EMI integral has never been issued on CD. The first is available on some sites though (like Amazon.fr) and maybe the latter will be rereleased by EMI the upcoming years. At least they made a start.

I am still waiting for the Bach Complete Organ Works by Rogg remastered from this EMI Electrola set, which I have owned for some 25 years ...

Verena

QuoteI am still waiting for the Bach Complete Organ Works by Rogg remastered from this EMI Electrola set, which I have owned for some 25 years ...

I'm afraid we will have to wait for another 25 years. In the meantime, however, we can surely feast on an abundance of sensational new recordings by the likes of Bang Bang, André Rieu, and Daniel Helfgott (etc.). Isn't that comforting? (?)
>:(
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Coopmv

Quote from: Verena on May 15, 2010, 04:18:41 AM
I'm afraid we will have to wait for another 25 years. In the meantime, however, we can surely feast on an abundance of sensational new recordings by the likes of Bang Bang, André Rieu, and Daniel Helfgott (etc.). Isn't that comforting? (?)
>:(

There is no room for any recordings by Bang Bang in my collection when I already have many by the likes of Schnabel, Cortot, Arrau, Richter, Gilels, Gould and Horowitz, etc.  Why have the imitation when I already have the real deals?    Right George?

But then, I also have the option to digitize this 18-LP Bach Complete Organ Works by Rogg ...

;D

prémont

Quote from: Verena on May 15, 2010, 04:18:41 AM
I'm afraid we will have to wait for another 25 years.

Probably not. EMI are releasing it now, slowly. They have also released the first volume of Rogg´s Buxtehude set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on May 15, 2010, 05:02:44 AM
But then, I also have the option to digitize this 18-LP Bach Complete Organ Works by Rogg ...

This is what I did more than ten years ago.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 14, 2010, 08:54:41 AM
Do you know his Buxtehude, Premont?

Yes, and thanks to Marc for anticipating my answer.

Do you know his Lübeck, Antoine? :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on May 15, 2010, 05:40:24 AM
Do you know his Lübeck, Antoine? :)

No, I don't know his Lübeck. I know Vogel's Lübeck; although it's a different Lübeck:)

Verena

QuoteThis double-CD is also an excellent option:

Bach - Great Organ Works
Gustav Leonhardt

BTW, Enjoying this right now. Thanks to those who recommended this! (I think it was Antoine and Mark)

Verena

QuoteProbably not. EMI are releasing it now, slowly. They have also released the first volume of Rogg´s Buxtehude set.

I'm a little confused.  :-\ Are the Emi two-fers mentioned by Kishnevi and also commented on by Marc part of an earlier or of a later set than the now OOP Harmonia Mundi integrale? I have inferred from Marc's comments that they were later recordings, but from your comments I infer that the Emi two-fers are later recordings. (Or are we talking about other Emi recordings than the three two-fers?)
::)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 15, 2010, 06:16:02 AM
No, I don't know his Lübeck. I know Vogel's Lübeck; although it's a different Lübeck:)

Walter Kraft recorded in the late 1950es the organ works of Vincent Lübeck for Vox. Unfortunately it was released (recorded?) only in mono and never - to my knowledge - made its way to CD. An interpretation in the same vein as his Buxtehude set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Verena on May 15, 2010, 06:31:50 AM
I'm a little confused.  :-\ Are the Emi two-fers mentioned by Krishnevi and also commented on by Marc part of an earlier or of a later set than the now OOP Harmonia Mundi integrale? I have inferred from Marc's comments that they were later recordings, but from your comments I infer that the Emi two-fers are later recordings. (Or are we talking about other Emi recordings than the three two-fers?)
::)

Lionel Rogg has made three more or less (most less) complete Bach sets.

1) early 1960es released by Oryx, played upon the Metzler organ of the Grossmünster, Zürich.

2) ca. 1969 released by Harmonia Mundi France, played upon the J A Silbermann organ, Dom zu Arlesheim.

3) late 1970es released by EMI (originally released as quadrophony sound) and more complete than the two others, but still not including the Neumeister chorales, played upon different Marcussen and Metzler organs among which the Metzler organ in the Cathedral of Sct. Pierre, Geneve, and the Marcussen organs in Sorø and Vor Frelsers Kirke, Copenhagen.

EMIs "new" releases are part of the third set, and I hope they eventually are going to release the complete set. Only two double CDs have been released so far, because the recently released recording of The Art of Fugue and the  Vivaldi concerto transcriptions do not belong to the third integral. In the third integral AoF is not included, and the Concerto transcriptions are played upon the Sorø organ.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on May 15, 2010, 06:34:34 AM
Walter Kraft recorded in the late 1950es the organ works of Vincent Lübeck for Vox. Unfortunately it was released (recorded?) only in mono and never - to my knowledge - made its way to CD. An interpretation in the same vein as his Buxtehude set.

... oh, that Lübeck: a man not a city or an organ in that city. I didn't even know his existence until now. Another name to explore. :)

Verena

QuoteLionel Rogg has made three more or less (most less) complete Bach sets.

1) early 1960es released by Oryx, played upon the Metzler organ of the Grossmünster, Zürich.

2) ca. 1969 released by Harmonia Mundi France, played upon the J A Silbermann organ, Dom zu Arlesheim.

3) late 1970es released by EMI (originally released as quadrophony sound) and more complete than the two others, but still not including the Neumeister chorales, played upon different Marcussen and Metzler organs among which the Metzler organ in the Cathedral of Sct. Pierre, Geneve, and the Marcussen organs in Sorø and Vor Frelsers Kirke, Copenhagen.

EMIs "new" releases are part of the third set, and I hope they eventually are going to release the complete set. Only two double CDs have been released so far, because the recently released recording of The Art of Fugue and the  Vivaldi concerto transcriptions do not belong to the third integral. In the third integral AoF is not included, and the Concerto transcriptions are played upon the Sorø organ.

Thanks a lot, Premont!

Marc

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 15, 2010, 06:58:01 AM
... oh, that Lübeck: a man not a city or an organ in that city. I didn't even know his existence until now. Another name to explore. :)
Yep!
Vincent Lübeck (ca. 1654-1740).
Unfortunately, only a small amount of Lübeck's works has survived. His best known composition is a large organ Fantasia on Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ.
He was a.o. organist at the Nikolaikirche in Hamburg, where they had a large Schnitger organ. Here's a quote from Johann Mattheson: This extraordinary organ ... also has an extraordinary organist. But how to praise someone who is already greatly renowned? I only need to give his name, Vincent Lübeck, to complete the whole eulogy.
One of his sons, Vincent jr., also became a well-known musician and composer.
(And the third more or less well-known Vincent Lübeck was this son's grandfather. Are you still with me? ;))

prémont

Quote from: Marc on May 15, 2010, 10:26:56 PM
One of his sons, Vincent jr., also became a well-known musician and composer.
(And the third more or less well-known Vincent Lübeck was this son's grandfather. Are you still with me? ;))

Yes, Buxtehude lived in Lübeck, and Lübeck lived in Hamburg. Buxtehude is not far from Hamburg. Right?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on May 15, 2010, 10:49:45 PM
Yes, Buxtehude lived in Lübeck, and Lübeck lived in Hamburg. Buxtehude is not far from Hamburg. Right?
Stimmt.

Buxtehude was Danish, though. :P
His first name actually was Diderik.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on May 15, 2010, 11:15:56 PM
Stimmt.

Waar!

Een goede oude Deense voornaam.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jlaurson

Quote from: Marc on May 15, 2010, 11:15:56 PM
Stimmt.

It's almost one of those: "Was Mozart Austrian?" issues:

(from wiki)
QuoteHe is thought to have been born with the name Diderich Buxtehude.[3] Scholars dispute both the year and country of his birth, although most now accept it taking place in 1637 in Helsingborg, Skåne, at the time part of Denmark (but now part of Sweden).[4] His obituary stated that "he recognized Denmark as his native country, whence he came to our region; he lived about 70 years".[5] Others, however, claim that he was born at Oldesloe in the Duchy of Holstein, which at that time was a part of the Danish Monarchy (but is now in Germany). Later in his life he Germanized his name and began signing documents Dieterich Buxtehude.[3]