J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

A nice one to have:

IMO: very convincing readings by Canadian Craig Frederick Humber of the so-called Leipzig Chorales, AKA "The Eighteen".
He plays the 'lesser famous' Silbermann in Freiberg, Saxony: the 2-manual/pedal organ of the Sankt Petri. In this new recording all the beautiful aspects and registration possibilities of this instrument can be enjoyed. A pity that the registrations aren't mentioned (disposition of the entire organ is presented though) in the booklet.

It's a hybrid SACD, but already in stereo the sound quality is very impressive!

http://www.amazon.com/Leipzig-Organ-Chorales-Bach/dp/B003B95B92
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leipzig-Chorales-Craig-Humber/dp/B003B95B92/
http://www.amazon.de/Leipziger-Chor%C3%A4le-Craig-Frederick-Humber/dp/B003B95B92/

Marc

Just mentioning this .... might be interesting, unfortunately mainly for Europeans:

Now only € 35,-- on this site:

http://www.amazon.de/Orgelwerke-auf-Silbermann-Orgeln-Otto/dp/B000TGF1G8/ref=sr_1_2/277-1408129-7063512

The recordings took place in the sixties and seventies. Many organs weren't restored yet at that time. So, they might sound 'less perfect', but IMHO it's interesting to hear many (late) organists in this oeuvre on these interesting organs.

Marc

Listening to Christopher Herrick's Organ Cornucopia; nice program with some youthful and some uncertain and/or unfinished works.

In track 29 (Prelude in C-minor BWV 531-1) I hear a 'tick' after about 01:11 minutes. It seems 'part of the tape' but I'm not entirely sure: it could be a (slight) damage.
Does this 'sound' familiar to other listeners who own this volume, too? If so, then it's most likely no damage.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on November 24, 2010, 10:59:26 AM
In track 29 (Prelude in C-minor BWV 531-1) I hear a 'tick' after about 01:11 minutes. It seems 'part of the tape' but I'm not entirely sure: it could be a (slight) damage.
Does this 'sound' familiar to other listeners who own this volume, too? If so, then it's most likely no damage.

Have not noticed it - as far as I remember. Will check it.

A small correction: BWV 531 is in C-major (well you correctly write the "C" with capital).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on November 24, 2010, 11:52:38 AM
Have not noticed it - as far as I remember. Will check it.

A small correction: BWV 531 is in C-major (well you correctly write the "C" with capital).
Oops! :-[
Was in a minor mood probably, because of the 'tick'?

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, with slightly different music btw, but I'll save that one for later .... perhaps ....  :).

Antoine Marchand

No damage, Marc; that Prelude has the same problem in my copy. IIRC, the organ concertos and Leipzig Chorales have the same problem (but several times).  :(

prémont

Listening to Christopher Herrick's Organ Cornucopia; nice program with some youthful and some uncertain and/or unfinished works.

A short and faint little crack. May however be more annoying for someone listening through earphones, what I usually do not.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on November 27, 2010, 08:20:19 AM
A short and faint little crack. May however be more annoying for someone listening through earphones, what I usually do not.

I almost never listen to music with headphones; I have tried (and purchased some nice headphones), but I can't enjoy the experience. But clearly those cracks are extremely annoying for me. Just try the toccata (1:15) of the Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C major... Precisely that superhumanly beautiful work!

Marc

Thanks for the response!

Btw: I didn't listen to it through headphones.
But I have very sensitive ears .... yet only if I really want to hear something. ;)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 27, 2010, 09:07:45 AM
I almost never listen to music with headphones; I have tried (and purchased some nice headphones), but I can't enjoy the experience. But clearly those cracks are extremely annoying for me. Just try the toccata (1:15) of the Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C major... Precisely that superhumanly beautiful work!

Neither do I listen with headphones. I have a Stax Sigma set, but it can not be used with my actual HIFI equipment, so if I want to use it I have to establish my former Marantz equipment, and that is almost impracticable. And headphones is IMO not for listening BTW but for analysing.

Also I was brought up initially with 78 RPM - my parents only rather late acquired LP equipment, and I also often listen to historical recordings (on CD), so a few short cracks do not bother me. As to noise on recordings I think that noise from the audience on live recordings is more annoying.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Marc on November 27, 2010, 01:38:23 PM
Thanks for the response!

Btw: I didn't listen to it through headphones.
But I have very sensitive ears .... yet only if I really want to hear something. ;)

But tell yourself. that you do not want to hear those crack´s, maybe you will forget them.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on November 27, 2010, 02:06:12 PM
Neither do I listen with headphones. I have a Stax Sigma set, but it can not be used with my actual HIFI equipment, so if I want to use it I have to establish my former Marantz equipment, and that is almost impracticable. And headphones is IMO not for listening BTW but for analysing.

My opinion is rather similar.

I have three nice pairs of headphones -Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT770 and AKG K240- and a small headphone amplifier Creek, but to listen through headphones always remains an unnatural experience because the soundstage always seems too close and immediate.   

Quote from: premont on November 27, 2010, 02:06:12 PM
As to noise on recordings I think that noise from the audience on live recordings is more annoying.

I am probably hypersensible to strange noises, but I am essentially a listener of discs.

Living performances of Baroque and Early music in general are not very usual in Chile, especially when you love period instruments and our cultural establishment still consider them a sort of eccentricity. 

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 28, 2010, 06:04:54 AM
My opinion is rather similar.

I have three nice pairs of headphones -Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT770 and AKG K240- and a small headphone amplifier Creek, but to listen through headphones always remains an unnatural experience because the soundstage always seems too close and immediate.   

Although I find headphones excellent for "analysis" as put by Premont, I don't have any problem with headphone listening for pure enjoyment.

jlaurson

Quote from: Bulldog on November 28, 2010, 09:44:30 AM
Although I find headphones excellent for "analysis" as put by Premont, I don't have any problem with headphone listening for pure enjoyment.

I find it even more enjoyable, sometimes... the sound of my amp with the HD 580 and / or HD 800 is a dream. And with HD 800 you have so much space around the ears, it's more like listening to monitors.

Marc

Quote from: premont on November 27, 2010, 02:08:05 PM
But tell yourself. that you do not want to hear those crack´s, maybe you will forget them.
Tak for opskriften, fru læge. :-*

prémont

Quote from: Marc on November 28, 2010, 11:04:46 AM
Tak for opskriften, fru læge. :-*

"Hr" om jeg må be´   :P

Det var ikke for at være formynderisk, men jeg synes bare, at den opskrift, jeg selv bruger, er ganske god. Men derfor er det jo ikke sikkert, at du kan bruge den.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Oh .... errr, about eleven, sir.

But yes, I know the recipe.
I just wanted to be sure before annoying another shopkeeper with complaints.

Btw, hopefully I will find the time to do some listening to Ritchie's performance of Die Kunst der Fuge. I saw the first vid last week. It's always interesting to hear Christoph Wolff talk about Bach.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on November 28, 2010, 11:37:16 AM
Btw, hopefully I will find the time to do some listening to Ritchie's performance of Die Kunst der Fuge. I saw the first vid last week. It's always interesting to hear Christoph Wolff talk about Bach.

I saw this first part to day. Very interesting to see Wolff, even if he did not say anything new. Equally interesting was Ritchies comments, - a pity that his playing does not fully reflect his verbally expressed fascination of the AoF.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 07:02:25 AM
Well, in my case the symptoms are especially intense when these recordings are released by small labels because you never know if they will be available again when go out print.

Unfortunately the situation may be similar with greater labels. F.I Wolfgang Rübsam´s first Bach traversal on Philips has been OOP for at least four years, and what is going to happen with the Philips recordings??
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Scarpia

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 07:10:19 AM
Unfortunately the situation may be similar with greater labels. F.I Wolfgang Rübsam´s first Bach traversal on Philips has been OOP for at least four years, and what is going to happen with the Philips recordings??

There's been no change in the status of Philips since 1980.  They have been part of Polygram/Universal/Vivendi/(whoever owns them now)   The only difference is their right to use the Philips trade mark has expired so they are called Decca now. 

A lot of mythology has grown over that set since it has been OOP for so long (I think since '96).  My brother has it (enormous package) and I ripped it but haven't listened to any of it yet.