J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 23, 2011, 02:26:32 PM
It does not strike me as unreasonable that the managers of this site do not want it tagged as a distributor of copyrighted material, since that might make them subject to legal action by copyright holders. 

True. It's even part of this board's guidelines, last edited in 2007 (I only read them yesterday :-[).

Strange though: scroll upwards and you'll find some mediafire links, placed by yours truly about a week ago, promoting a 2-cd that is still available: nothing happened.

Say what?

Scroll upwards and downwards on this entire board: you'll find many uploaded copyrighted material, from Youtube to Mediafire to whatever. These posts aren't deleted. And maybe the material wasn't even all OOP and .... maybe some of those links were even offered by mods. Pfui, pfui.

Last year I uploaded almost an entire (OOP) Ewald Kooiman disc, and was thanked for that by a moderator. Should he be released from his tasks?

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 23, 2011, 02:26:32 PM
Beyond that, your criticism of the record labels for not having every recording they ever made continuously in print strikes me as bizarre.  The amount of music that is available at a low price is unprecedented, the copyright holders of the Rübsam set have two complete Bach organ work cycles in print, ~15 discs for $50.  The Rübsam set has only been out of print for a few years, and it is their right to decide when would be an opportune time to re-release it.

Of course it's their right.

And it's the copyright holder's right to re-release their Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Great Conductor, Great Performer sets unendlessly from time to time, changing just a tiny bit in offered music but sometimes changing a less tiny bit in prize.

DG keeping both the 'expensive' and the 'cheap' Bach organ integral of Preston available. It's their right.

Decca/Universal re-releasing the Mozart/Brendel/Marriner concertos boxset twice in about three year's time, very low priced at a sublabel (yet without the nos 1-4 by Ingrid Haebler) and re-releasing them again at their headlabel for a much higher prize, yet with adding the nos 1-4 by Haebler, and advertizing for this one. Both these sets are still available. It's their right.

Not to mention the re-releasing strategies of much Von Karajan and Bernstein stuff.
How many times have those DG Mahler/Bernstein performances been re-released?
Well, it's their right.

It's their right to fool the consumer and, who knows, dig their own grave in the end.

Scarpia

Quote from: Marc on May 23, 2011, 08:19:05 PMIt's their right to fool the consumer and, who knows, dig their own grave in the end.

I fail to see who you think they are "fooling" or what dark purpose you imagine they have.  They release what is popular and what sells, and if something doesn't sell they keep it in the can for a while until demand builds up enough to justify another release.   How could they benefit from keeping things off of the market if there is sufficient demand to justify a release?

There certainly are things in the major labels catalogs which I would like to get my hands on.  I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not getting the Rubsam set when it was available, or the Doyen Faure set.  But I have more stuff than I have time to listen to anyway.   :P

Scarpia

Quote from: Marc on May 23, 2011, 08:38:31 PM
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,18505.0.html

Yes, I did not forget that thread.  Record labels do things that annoy me sometimes, but so what?  The economics are driving the labels to release giant multidisc sets at bargain prices, to maintain liquidity, I presume, and I've benefited from that a lot.  Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.  You will rarely go wrong with that rule.

Marc

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 23, 2011, 08:50:12 PM
Yes, I did not forget that thread.  Record labels do things that annoy me sometimes, but so what?  The economics are driving the labels to release giant multidisc sets at bargain prices, to maintain liquidity, I presume, and I've benefited from that a lot.  Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.  You will rarely go wrong with that rule.

Ah, now I see.

Why do record labels mess with us?
How long are they going to drag this out?
Again, how long do they plan to string me along?

You were only asking rhetorical questions then.

Scarpia

Quote from: Marc on May 23, 2011, 08:56:13 PM
Ah, now I see.

Why do record labels mess with us?
How long are they going to drag this out?
Again, how long do they plan to string me along?

You were only asking rhetorical questions then.

Yes, I do wish they would get on with it.  It doesn't give me the right to distribute their copyrighted material.  Presumably they think the public has a limited appetite for Argerich and that if they dump it all at once it won't sell as well.  That's their right, they produced all those recordings afterall.  But those albums are mostly available in their original versions or previous reissues, so if I really wanted them I could get them.

haydnguy

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2011, 06:30:37 AM
via Alex Ross

Collateral Damage

The True Cost of Uploading

http://thewire.co.uk/articles/6715/

I have not thought through this, but I was thinking that motivation behind having people store their music in the cloud might be another DRM attempt. Only, since it's in the cloud they can change the coding frequently so it won't be so easy to break. Again, I haven't thought this through.

I have not thought through this, but I was thinking that motivation behind having people store their music in the cloud might be another DRM attempt. Only, since it's in the cloud they can change the coding frequently so it won't be so easy to break. Again, I haven't thought this through.

DavidW

Marc, why don't you simply pm or email the links to your friends that you want to have it?  Easy enough.
Quote from: Marc on May 23, 2011, 08:19:05 PM
Strange though: scroll upwards and you'll find some mediafire links, placed by yours truly about a week ago, promoting a 2-cd that is still available: nothing happened.

Last year I uploaded almost an entire (OOP) Ewald Kooiman disc, and was thanked for that by a moderator. Should he be released from his tasks?

I think, but don't know, that the mods split their work load with different chores for different mods.  One to merge and split threads, one to delete spam, one to remove copyrighted material.  I'm sure they all enjoy breaking up fights and laying the smack down on disruptive posters :D but I wouldn't be surprised if only one or two mods delete your mf links.  And that seems like alot of work.  You should just be happy that most of them haven't been deleted. :D

Scarpia

Quote from: haydnfan on May 24, 2011, 06:58:55 AM
Marc, why don't you simply pm or email the links to your friends that you want to have it?  Easy enough.

Quite so, sharing a copy of an out-of-print recording with a friend on a one-to-one basis is not the same as posting the same material on an open forum, making it available to anyone that knows how to use google.

Opus106

Wow, why such a furore over something that has happened many times before, not just in this thread but in many others? There's even a whole thread dedicated to this stuff -- not OOP recordings, but telecasts and radio broadcasts of concerts, and I'm sure most of you would have visited and perhaps even downloaded some of the material.

C'mon, guys, I want to know: does Bach's organ still work? :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Quote from: Opus106 on May 24, 2011, 10:03:01 AM
Wow, why such a furore over something that has happened many times before, not just in this thread but in many others? There's even a whole thread dedicated to this stuff -- not OOP recordings, but telecasts and radio broadcasts of concerts, and I'm sure most of you would have visited and perhaps even downloaded some of the material.

I assumed tempest-in-a-teacup involves deletion of links to material available in violation of copyright. 

Opus106

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 24, 2011, 10:07:05 AM
I assumed tempest-in-a-teacup involves deletion of links to material available in violation of copyright. 

Wouldn't posting recordings of broadcasts/ripped streams of concerts count too?
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on May 24, 2011, 10:03:01 AM
C'mon, guys, I want to know: does Bach's organ still work? :)

I assume it's rotted away quite awhile ago. :D Good thing he got good use of it while he was alive. ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: Opus106 on May 24, 2011, 10:11:19 AM
Wouldn't posting recordings of broadcasts/ripped streams of concerts count too?

I assume that would be not allowed, strictly.  Mostly I notice people here posting links to sites that stream content with the blessing of the copyright holder, such as TV stations that have their programs available for streaming, etc. 

DavidW

THat is wow!!!  Alaine must be the greatest organist ever, I never heard such a dramatic, yet musical such perfectly paced... amazing! :) :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing Antoine.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: mozartfan on May 27, 2011, 08:52:57 AM
THat is wow!!!  Alaine must be the greatest organist ever, I never heard such a dramatic, yet musical such perfectly paced... amazing! :) :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing Antoine.

You're welcome, David.

She and Helmut Walcha; they, in my humble (because it is highly uniformed) opinion, are the greatest organist that I have listened to ever. Like Ali, they are not probably the best in every fight, but finally the greatest.  :) 

karlhenning

Couldn't be in every fight ... who could keep up with Henk?

Scarpia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 27, 2011, 09:15:07 AM
You're welcome, David.

She and Helmut Walcha; they, in my humble (because it is highly uniformed) opinion, are the greatest organist that I have listened to ever. Like Ali, they are not probably the best in every fight, but finally the greatest.  :)

Is that one of the Erato recordings?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 10:42:49 AM
Is that one of the Erato recordings?

Yes, although more specifically it is her second traversal played on some neo-Baroque organs (the Schwenkedel organ at the Collégiale de Saint-Donat, France, in this case).

To be precise, this one:

I stress this point because her third integral (also released and re-released on Erato, but played on period instruments) is again available these days for an excellent price:

:)

Scarpia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 27, 2011, 11:11:31 AM
Yes, although more specifically it is her second traversal played on some neo-Baroque organs (the Schwenkedel organ at the Collégiale de Saint-Donat, France, in this case).

To be precise, this one:

I stress this point because her third integral (also released and re-released on Erato, but played on period instruments) is again available these days for an excellent price:

:)

Good.  The first is the one I have and the second is the one I sold to pay for the one I have.   :)