J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 11:15:15 AM
Good.  The first is the one I have and the second is the one I sold to pay for the one I have.   :)

If you had the original edition that I have, you probably got some cash back because the price of them is very different.

Scarpia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 27, 2011, 11:38:27 AM
If you had the original edition that I have, you probably got some cash back because the price of them is very different.

Yes, the one I had was enormous with a separate case for each CD.  I'm certain I cleared a big enough profit after getting the reissued analog set to buy the digital set again.  But I didn't like it much--sound too reverberant and washy.  Now I've got too many Bach organ cycles on the shelf to be tempted (Alain, Walcha (stereo), Koopman, Weinberger, Ritchie).

DavidW

There is a reissue coming out at a slightly cheaper price this summer (in about a month) so I've preordered it:

[asin]B004RUF022[/asin]

Unless you know any cheaper deals?

Scarpia

Quote from: mozartfan on May 27, 2011, 12:00:16 PMUnless you know any cheaper deals?

When it is actually released the marketplace sellers will jump in and undercut, so I think it will almost certainly be available cheaper.  But Amazon his that slightly infuriating policy with pre-orders, that you get the lowest price that was offered during the time you had it in your cart, but you don't find out exactly how low until they ship it and tell your your "price guarantee" savings. 

As I mentioned above, I have a preference for the previous cycle

[asin]B000RZOR2K[/asin]

which was recorded with a slightly less reverberant perspective.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 12:07:00 PM
When it is actually released the marketplace sellers will jump in and undercut, so I think it will almost certainly be available cheaper.  But Amazon his that slightly infuriating policy with pre-orders, that you get the lowest price that was offered during the time you had it in your cart, but you don't find out exactly how low until they ship it and tell your your "price guarantee" savings. 
I think if you look up your order, it will show you the lowest price. It did this with an order I made, where the shipping date moved by over a month. I left the order in place, and now it shows a lower price than when I initially ordered it.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Marc

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 11:51:14 AM
Yes, the one I had was enormous with a separate case for each CD.  I'm certain I cleared a big enough profit after getting the reissued analog set to buy the digital set again.  But I didn't like it much--sound too reverberant and washy.

Hm, right now I'm listening to that 3rd Alain cycle, and I'm not having much problems with the sound. In fact, I prefer the historic instruments of that cycle. But Alain's playing has become more uneven and less appealing. So, in the end, the 2nd one is still the best choice IMO.

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia
Now I've got too many Bach organ cycles on the shelf to be tempted (Alain, Walcha (stereo), Koopman, Weinberger, Ritchie).

That's quite a tasty collection!

My personal problem is: I got addicted to Bach's organ during the last 2 years in a very aggressive way. So I've been hunting for (almost) anything, which really harmed my financial position. :P
The sunny side: I've had the pleasure of purchasing some very interesting and impressive OOP material. Many (copies) of them are now my loyal friends whilst travelling to and from work, where I try to earn some money back. :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Marc on May 29, 2011, 09:44:27 AM
My personal problem is...

The sunny side: ...

I think part of the positive side is that you live in Holland, a good thing for any lover of Baroque organ music.

As an aside: I knew it... those hands were familiar:

:)

Marc

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 29, 2011, 09:59:05 AM
I think part of the positive side is that you live in Holland, a good thing for any lover of Baroque organ music.

I found there is some truth in that. :)

Quote from: Antoine Marchand
As an aside: I knew it... those hands were familiar:

:)

It's a good and well-thought aside though: in fact, Alessio Corti's integral is one of the best on non-historical instruments IMO, together with Ritchie and Alain 2. But it's not easy to get for a modest price.

Que

Quote from: Marc on May 29, 2011, 10:26:26 AM

It's a good and well-thought aside though: in fact, Alessio Corti's integral is one of the best on non-historical instruments IMO, together with Ritchie and Alain 2. But it's not easy to get for a modest price.

That's a surprise, what type of instruments does Alessio Corti use?  :)

BTW, that cycle can be ordered directly and at a decent price here.

Q

prémont

Quote from: Marc on May 29, 2011, 09:44:27 AM
Hm, right now I'm listening to that 3rd Alain cycle, and I'm not having much problems with the sound. In fact, I prefer the historic instruments of that cycle. But Alain's playing has become more uneven and less appealing. So, in the end, the 2nd one is still the best choice IMO.

Exactly my words.

.... in fact, Alessio Corti's integral is one of the best on non-historical instruments IMO, together with Ritchie and Alain 2.

Agreed as to Alain 2. and Corti. However I prefer Rübsam 1. Rogg 3. and Stockmeier to Ritchie.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 29, 2011, 11:34:40 AM
That's a surprise, what type of instruments does Alessio Corti use?  :)

He uses two modern ( generic,  Antoine would say  -  I suppose )  organs made by the Italian organ building firm Tamburini. They are rather neutral in sound, displaying no specific historical or national style.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 29, 2011, 11:34:40 AM
That's a surprise, [....]

No, it isn't.

Quote from: Marc on January 25, 2011, 09:29:01 AM
[....]
(And it's Kooiman the Second who's in the lead, a neck in front from Beekman, third is Foccroulle followed by Corti. Next in the field is Rübsam the First from Ritchie, behind them there's a packed group lead by Koopman, Vernet and Alain the Second, with Weinberger, Fagius and both Walcha's not that far away. Then comes Stockmeier with Rogg the Second, and Vad and Hurford are still very close with maybe a chance to make up some ground in the next hundred yards or so.)

;)

Quote from: ~ Que ~
what type of instruments does Alessio Corti use?  :)

Grande Organo Tamburini of the Chiesa di Santa Maria Segreta & Organo Tamburini of the Chiesa Cristiana Protestante in Milano.
These Tamburini's are maybe not ideal for Bach (a bit shallow), but Corti's playing definitely is. Straightforward, no-nonsense, yet with full dedication and good registration.

Quote from: ~ Que ~
BTW, that cycle can be ordered directly and at a decent price here.

Good news, especially for the Euro Boys & Girls!

prémont

But the second best after living i Holland yourself  is to know someone, who does, and who cares for organ music.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 29, 2011, 01:26:03 PM
But the second best after living i Holland yourself  is to know someone, who does, and who cares for organ music.  :)

Well, sure, everybody loves ~ Que ~!

:-*

prémont

Quote from: Marc on May 29, 2011, 01:30:23 PM
Well, sure, everybody loves ~ Que ~!

:-*

You rascal, you knew what I meant.  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 29, 2011, 01:32:22 PM
You rascal, you knew what I meant.  :P

Listening to Van Beek and Wiersma again, I guess? ;D

prémont

Quote from: Marc on May 29, 2011, 01:33:51 PM
Listening to Van Beek and Wiersma again, I guess? ;D

No, listening to Ablitzer with a special purpose.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 29, 2011, 01:35:34 PM
No, listening to Ablitzer with a special purpose.  :)

Even without any purpose: Ablitzer is good, both in Bach and Buxtehude!

Antoine Marchand

Alessio Corti's integral is one of the best on non-historical instruments... But it's not easy to get for a modest price.

I bought my set on the Marketplace of Amazon.fr, then I send it to USA because it was not possible a direct delivery to Chile. Finally, I approximately paid EUR 190 or so by Corti's integral, considering shipping and customs. Unfortunately, I didn't know on time the info provided by Q. Anyway, I don't regret the purchase. I am a stubborn guy.  ;D 

Marc

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 29, 2011, 01:46:04 PM
I bought my set on the Marketplace of Amazon.fr, then I send it to USA because it was not possible a direct delivery to Chile. Finally, I approximately paid EUR 190 or so by Corti's integral, considering shipping and customs. Unfortunately, I didn't know on time the info provided by Q. Anyway, I don't regret the purchase. I am a stubborn guy.  ;D

I was so lucky to get it for 60 or 65 euro last year; at the time it was the last nice-priced copy on Amazon.de, if I remember well.
As long as you don't regret the purchase, there's no problem. Corti's most certainly an interesting set to have. It includes a very fine Kunst der Fuge, too.

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVP/Corti.htm