J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Marc on May 29, 2011, 01:24:20 PM
No, it isn't.

I knew you liked Corti.

I was referring to the fact that he wasn't using historical instruments... You rascal! ;D ;)

Q

Marc

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 29, 2011, 01:54:07 PM
[....]
You rascal! ;D ;)

:o

Well, I'll be ....  >:D >:( :P

JANSELDERIJ NOG AN TOE!

(Me thinks I'm in need for some De Profundis BWV 686 .... ;D)

Marc

No, I'm fixing a more happy ending to this day:

BWV 593, borrowed from the Red Priest, played by La Grande Dame de l'Orgue:

prémont

Quote from: Marc on May 29, 2011, 01:44:36 PM
Even without any purpose: Ablitzer is good, both in Bach and Buxtehude!

I was especially fond of the deeply felt passion mood in the BWV 544, which he registrates with dark 16´ manual foundation stop. The Schübler chorales are nice, while the BWV 565 did not get me that much.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

I will have to wait for probably another week or so until it arrives, but I managed to grab this issue from the net for a decent price:

Harald Vogel on the Ahrend organ of the San Simpliciano Basilica, Milano. First Volume of an integral for Deutsche Harmonia Mundi. I have some other stuff from this (unfinished?) series (with Lorenzo Ghielmi and Jean-Claude Zehnder), which is quite good. I appreciate Harald Vogel's Buxtehude very much, so .... just hoping for the best! :)

And .... after that, I also ordered this one from the library: Michael Radulescu, Volume 2.

Is there some connaisseur around who can assure me that I made some good and interesting choices? :)
I need some comfort and organistic inspired cuddling, you knöw, 'cause I have the flu, which will make me have to skip tomorrow evening's concert by Wim van Beek. :'(

prémont

Quote from: Marc on June 14, 2011, 12:55:54 PM

Harald Vogel on the Ahrend organ of the San Simpliciano Basilica, Milano.  I appreciate Harald Vogel's Buxtehude very much, so .... just hoping for the best! :)

This is a recording I do not own, and I have deliberately avoided it, because I find it academic and uninspiring. Sorry.

Quote from: Marc
And .... after that, I also ordered this one from the library: Michael Radulescu, Volume 2.

Is there some connaisseur around who can assure me that I made some good and interesting choices? :)
I need some comfort and organistic inspired cuddling, you knöw, 'cause I have the flu, which will make me have to skip tomorrow evening's concert by Wim van Beek. :'(

This I own but find it pale and dull. When the possibility came to acquire Radulescu´s Bach integral, I passed it by, mainly because of my impression of his Clavierübung III (and his Muffat: Apparatus Musico-Organisticus, which hasn´t convinced me either). Drink some tea with rhum to become fit to the concert with van Beek. He is an artist in quite another league.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 15, 2011, 06:41:57 AM
This is a recording I do not own, and I have deliberately avoided it, because I find it academic and uninspiring.

Quote from: (: premont :)
This I own but find it pale and dull.

Thanks a bundle, Premont!
I feel much better now! :-*

Drink some tea with rhum to become fit to the concert with van Beek. He is an artist in quite another league.

I really couldn't: fever, soar throat, painful cough.
Not only a bore to me, but also for the other concert visitors. Luckilly I already know about Van Beek's top class organ playing: I heard him 3 times in the last 2 years. I'll have another go later this year. Other Martini plans this summer: Wolfgang Zerer, Harald Vogel, Jacques van Oortmerssen and Bernard Winsemius. The latter is organist of the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, and IMHO he's very good!

Btw, I already had a bite of Zerer two weeks ago, on the Hinsz organ of the Protestant Church in Uithuizermeeden. A lovely church on the south-west side of the village, with a beautiful organ. Acoustics were very dry and direct, but I got used to it very quickly. BWV 547 was played in typical Zerer style: very very inevetable, one just couldn't escape and didn't want to escape either .... gave me the shivers. Maybe I caught up with the flu that evening? ;)

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 29, 2011, 01:26:03 PM
But the second best after living i Holland yourself  is to know someone, who does, and who cares for organ music. :)

Dutch and Danes are good friends for ages already, you know.
We have always been very willing to bring our cultural titbits to you.
But we never trusted your cooking! (2:08)

;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/SJlzBHBJvl4

Oh uhhh .... topic duty: going to listen to O Mensch, bewein dein' Sünde groß BWV 622.
Of course.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on June 16, 2011, 04:33:30 AM
I really couldn't: fever, soar throat, painful cough.
I wish you a fast recovery.

Not only a bore to me, but also for the other concert visitors. Luckilly I already know about Van Beek's top class organ playing: I heard him 3 times in the last 2 years. I'll have another go later this year. Other Martini plans this summer: Wolfgang Zerer, Harald Vogel, Jacques van Oortmerssen and Bernard Winsemius. The latter is organist of the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, and IMHO he's very good!

A pity that you had to stay at home, but if I had that much to look forward to in the course of the summer season, I would feel better already.

.. was played in typical Zerer style: very very inevetable, one just couldn't escape and didn't want to escape either .... gave me the shivers. Maybe I caught up with the flu that evening? ;)

I do not know his playing style sufficiently well to comment this, but his playing must surely be infectious and influential.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Marc on June 18, 2011, 08:32:27 AM
Dutch and Danes are good friends for ages already, you know.

Yes, and our collaboration has been well organ-ized.  :)

We have always been very willing to bring our cultural titbits to you.
But we never trusted your cooking! (2:08)

What about Dutch cooking? The only Dutch cooking I know is Sauce Hollandaise - if it is Dutch at all.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 18, 2011, 11:17:52 AM[....] I wish you a fast recovery.

Thanks.
It's getting better!

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 18, 2011, 11:30:41 AM
[....] our collaboration has been well organ-ized. :)

What about Dutch cooking? The only Dutch cooking I know is Sauce Hollandaise - if it is Dutch at all.

Nope, it's French.
It was thought to be Dutch, because of the buttery character.

Dutch cooking?

:-X

Vi er kartoffel spisere.

Er godt at spise kartofler og lytte til orgelmusik.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on June 18, 2011, 12:14:42 PM
Thanks.
It's getting better!

Good to know. :)

Vi er kartoffel spisere.

Er godt at spise kartofler og lytte til orgelmusik.

Vi er også kartoffelspisere. Gennemsnitligt får jeg kartofler  2 - 3 gange om ugen. Og det også selvom pastaretter og risretter har vundet betragteligt indpas de sidste mange år. Men jeg kan bedst lide kartofler. Min kone laver forresten en fortræffelig kartoffelmos.

Vi er vel også fælles med Holland om at spise en del ost.

Og orgelmusik til det hele. :)

I stedet for selv at Google dette, lader jeg dig gøre det. Det kommer der vist mere fornuft ud af.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 18, 2011, 11:17:52 AM
I do not know his [Wolfgang Zerer] playing style sufficiently well to comment this, but his playing must surely be infectious and influential.

Found this ancient quote of yours truly:

Quote from: Marc on December 01, 2009, 12:21:12 PM
[....] listening to Wolfgang Zerer playing Ach was soll ich, Sünder, machen? at the Hinsz-organ of the Petruskerk in Leens, NL.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Organ-Influences-Buxtehude-Bachakademie/dp/B00004TKEI

Another disc that I don't regret having! (Though it's 'only' a copy from the library.)
I would describe his playing as being kinda severe in his interpretation, but also expressive when necessary and colourful in his registering.

In fact, this is a description that could also fit Bram Beekman, so this would mean that I should rate Zerer rather high. ;) I even dare say that in some of the non-liturgic works Zerer is more rhythmically convincing!

.... and recently being confirmed in this view during the Uithuizermeeden concert. :)

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 18, 2011, 12:29:43 PM
Good to know. :)

Vi er også kartoffelspisere. Gennemsnitligt får jeg kartofler  2 - 3 gange om ugen. Og det også selvom pastaretter og risretter har vundet betragteligt indpas de sidste mange år. Men jeg kan bedst lide kartofler. Min kone laver forresten en fortræffelig kartoffelmos.

Vi er vel også fælles med Holland om at spise en del ost.

Og orgelmusik til det hele. :)

I stedet for selv at Google dette, lader jeg dig gøre det. Det kommer der vist mere fornuft ud af.

Yeah, rice and pasta haven beaten the potaties here, too.
Let's order some Spaghetti bolognese then and await the arrival of a Milano Bach organ disc, played on a German instrument by another Kartoffelfresser. :P

prémont

Quote from: Marc on June 18, 2011, 12:30:42 PM
Found this ancient quote of yours truly:

.... and recently being confirmed in this view during the Uithuizermeeden concert. :)

Yes there are these two Haenssler disc´s from Petruskerk, Leens and Martinikerk, Groningen (Orgelbüchlein). Other than that I own three Nacos disc´s from his hands (and feet): The complete Weckmann organ works (two discs) and one Scheidemann disc, the Naxos disc´s recorded in St. Jacobi, Hamburg.  Even I would describe his style as severe, but the Bach´s discs are not sufficiently representative IMO.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Dutch organs and cheese are also very popular in our neighbour's country!
Combined with the drink of die Götter:

prémont

Quote from: Marc on June 18, 2011, 12:42:16 PM
Dutch organs and cheese are also very popular in our neighbour's country!

Generally I think the fat content of Dutch cheese is too high. But I suppose that the share of fat cheese for export is relative high.
Does Holland like Denmark produce much cheese with low fat content.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 18, 2011, 12:58:55 PM
Generally I think the fat content of Dutch cheese is too high.

That's why the Germans like it, I guess.
Bratwurst und Bier ist natürlich auch gut. Aber dann muß Frau Antje in Holland bleiben. Und das wäre ja schade.

But I suppose that the share of fat cheese for export is relative high.
Does Holland like Denmark produce much cheese with low fat content.

I must be honest: like many Dutchmen (and women .... sorry Stan, err Loretta) I haven't got much knowledge about food, its contents and its import and export stats ....

prémont

Quote from: Marc on June 18, 2011, 01:07:13 PM
I must be honest: like many Dutchmen (and women .... sorry Stan, err Loretta) I haven't got much knowledge about food, its contents and its import and export stats ....

Potentially life-threatening in the end.

Do not answer me, that even life itself is life-threatening in the end. ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

karlhenning

Quote from: Marc on June 18, 2011, 12:14:42 PM
Nope, it's French.
It was thought to be Dutch, because of the buttery character.

The culinary result of a Frenchman misremembering something he'd eaten in Holland? . . .