J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geo Dude

Quote from: jlaurson on July 07, 2013, 03:40:16 PM
But perhaps you could go non-French, for your third set.

Not a bad idea.  Open to further recommendations in this line of thinking. :)

Bowyers seems interesting, but I'll have to get that one one at a time, it seems.  I'm not a fan of MP3 CDs.

Geo Dude

I opened up the Foccroulle box only to realize that I hadn't dug out this set and played it yet (probably a set that I bought in case went OOP)...based on the first disc and a half, this shall be a great experience.  Still interested in a third set, though.

Karl Henning

Jens's suggestion sparks the realization that, with no apparent forethought, my sets are geographically diversified (German, French & Dutch).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Geo Dude

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2013, 05:35:59 AM
Jens's suggestion sparks the realization that, with no apparent forethought, my sets are geographically diversified (German, French & Dutch).

Don't be a tease...which sets do you have?

Karl Henning

Hah! The Walcha set upon whose provenance Jens has cast (and righteously) so baleful a light; one of the Alain sets (I am too green to say just which, offhand); and in the flash drive edition, Koopman.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jlaurson

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2013, 08:05:49 AM
Hah! The Walcha set upon whose provenance Jens has cast (and righteously) so baleful a light; one of the Alain sets (I am too green to say just which, offhand); and in the flash drive edition, Koopman.

A selection of my collection... a sign of my obsession about bachian possessions.

(From left to right: Rogg III, Alain II, Walcha I, Walcha II, Koopman, Silbermann Organs, Preston, Alain III, Stockmeier, Weinberger, Vernet, Ruebsam I; not included Fagius, which is part of the Complete Bach set on Brilliant.)

Karl Henning

Ah, mine would be Alain II, then.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sammy

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 07, 2013, 04:19:44 PM

Bowyers seems interesting, but I'll have to get that one one at a time, it seems.  I'm not a fan of MP3 CDs.

I acquired quite a few of the Bowyer discs when they were initially released and have found his performances frustrating - entirely hit or miss without any particular personality.  He's better than Tillmanns on Danacord, but that's not saying much.

jlaurson

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 07, 2013, 04:19:44 PM

Nah, I wouldn't bother with MP3 CDs, either. I hate the concept... combining the worst of both formats.
Bowyers does it for me, in the few discs I have... admittedly not heard in a while. I remember particularly liking his Organ Mass.
Perhaps I've gotten lucky with the five or so disc sets I have from his cycle... it's true that I've not heard all that many great things about it, apart from those very obvious fluff-reviews that I'd pay little heed.

Mandryka

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 10, 2013, 05:24:17 AM
I opened up the Foccroulle box only to realize that I hadn't dug out this set and played it yet (probably a set that I bought in case went OOP)...based on the first disc and a half, this shall be a great experience.  Still interested in a third set, though.

Sometimes I think he's a bit faceless and a bit staid, but there are one or two real beauties in there. Trio Sonata 4 for example, is one of my favourites.

I think what's being said about Walcha 1 is unfair. For example, the  trio sonatas there are unsurpassed for ecstasy. There may be other equally valid ways of playing them, but Walcha's way is, for me, thrilling.

If you really want a third set, the obvious one to get is Rubsam (Naxos). That way you'll be in touch with some very different and challenging  ideas, but still within the HIP framework (maybe)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jlaurson

Quote from: Mandryka on July 10, 2013, 01:07:55 PM
If you really want a third set, the obvious one to get is Rubsam (Naxos). That way you'll be in touch with some very different and challenging  ideas, but still within the HIP framework (maybe)

Good recommendation, that. Ruebsam II is, err... HIP-informed, I suppose. But on American Organs and with a very (charming!) personality driven interpretative credo.
Pity it's not been turned into a convenient set... but here's a link to all the volumes in the series:

Wolfgang Rubsam Bach Organ Works on Naxos

Geo Dude

The Rubsam II sounds interesting.  On the other hand, that Ritchie set is OOP but still available for a reasonable price and the idea of an American playing on American organs built based on German baroque organs is interesting...in any case, for the price that the Rubsam discs are available I can afford to pick up several alongside the Ritchie set if I go for that.  (I believe I already have Rubsam's Leipzig Chorales, so I'll need to give that a listen.)

Quote from: Sammy on July 10, 2013, 11:52:53 AM
I acquired quite a few of the Bowyer discs when they were initially released and have found his performances frustrating - entirely hit or miss without any particular personality.  He's better than Tillmanns on Danacord, but that's not saying much.

Do you have a recommendation for a favored set?

Sammy

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 10, 2013, 02:22:07 PM
The Rubsam II sounds interesting.  On the other hand, that Ritchie set is OOP but still available for a reasonable price and the idea of an American playing on American organs built based on German baroque organs is interesting...in any case, for the price that the Rubsam discs are available I can afford to pick up several alongside the Ritchie set if I go for that.  (I believe I already have Rubsam's Leipzig Chorales, so I'll need to give that a listen.)

Do you have a recommendation for a favored set?

Rogg/Harmonia Mundi, Rubsam/Naxos, Weinberger/CPO and the Hanssler/Bach recordings excepting for Kay Johannsen who I find rather boring. 

Geo Dude

Quote from: Sammy on July 10, 2013, 03:24:32 PM
Rogg/Harmonia Mundi, Rubsam/Naxos, Weinberger/CPO and the Hanssler/Bach recordings excepting for Kay Johannsen who I find rather boring. 

So, you don't find Weinberger too 'scholarly' and/or boring at times?  Just trying to figure out if there's any kind of a consensus here.  Thanks, by the way.

Parsifal

Quote from: Sammy on July 10, 2013, 03:24:32 PM
excepting for Kay Johannsen who I find rather boring.

Now that I don't understand, my favorite set of Trio Sonatas ever!

Sammy

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 10, 2013, 04:28:54 PM
So, you don't find Weinberger too 'scholarly' and/or boring at times? 

Best I can remember, the only thing that bothered me about his set was that the soundstage was overly reverberant in two or three of the discs.

Sammy

Quote from: Scarpia on July 10, 2013, 05:18:19 PM

Really?  Johannsen?  I found the playing on that disc heavy, slow, dour and lacking the degree of majesty I prefer.  He does perform a few of movements excellently, but my overall feeling is that he joins Bowyer, Tillmanns, Murray and a few others at the low end of the Bach scale.

kishnevi

Another point in dealing with complete sets; I've found that it matters how the set is organized: some are organized by pure genre, like Alain II;  some are organized semi-speculatively quasi-chronologically, like Vernet.  I've found my ears work better with the latter approach, but of course not everyone's ears are like mine, and some may prefer to have all the chorales in one vast series, and the free from works in another series. 

Sean

I got to know these works from the Hurford, which I first bought partly in the clumsy jewel sets, then later complete; the playing is articulate and on top of the counterpoint yet there's a sense of fullness along with well consistently focused sound and smooth contours .

I don't like the somewhat mixed up layout and the itemization of works could be clearer- I spent time identifying which was exactly which with the list of works in Grove. The only other recording I've since heard through once or twice is the Hans Fagius on Brilliant Classics, a very different approach cultivating rich dark lines with a wider acoustic, and an interpretation to go to only after you've gained familiarity I think. I gave the set to the local catholic priest actually, who makes some use of it before services begin...

By the way folks, a plea for more specific threads. We don't want to wade through 100 pages of meandering comments on this block of 17 hours of music. Bach organ works- complete recordings is fine, but otherwise I'd always just start individual threads and get more focused discussions on The Bach organ Preludes and fugues or The German organ mass etc. I couldn't be bothered with titles like the present one...

Que

Quote from: Scarpia on July 10, 2013, 05:18:19 PM

Kay Johannsen's performance scores high points with me as well. 8)

Q