J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Been listening to these recordings of the 80s:

http://www.amazon.com/Orgelwerke-Meister-Hubert/dp/B005JWX9QQ/

Lots of heavy stuff on this 2-cd, with a.o. the colossal free works BWV 542, 544, 546-548, 552 and 582. Only two chorale preludes, "O Mensch, bewein dein Sünde groß" (BWV 622) and "Vor deinen Thron tret ich hiermit" (BWV 668).
Hubert Meister generally plays a Bach to my likings (the fugue of BWV 546 a bit too lazy though), very clear, without too much legato combined with apt phrasing and articulation, but unfortunately the Mathis organs sound like huge synthesizers, even though they are tuned in unequal temperament. Maybe Jean-Michel Jarre would have liked it, but I had some rather tiring listening experiences, despite Meister's attractive playing.
He should have picked a nice Silbermann or Wagner organ IMHO. Pity, a missed opportunity.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on August 04, 2013, 11:30:27 AM
Been listening to these recordings of the 80s:
Lots of heavy stuff on this 2-cd, with a.o. the colossal free works BWV 542, 544, 546-548, 552 and 582. Only two chorale preludes, "O Mensch, bewein dein Sünde groß" (BWV 622) and "Vor deinen Thron tret ich hiermit" (BWV 668).
Hubert Meister generally plays a Bach to my likings (the fugue of BWV 546 a bit too lazy though), very clear, without too much legato combined with apt phrasing and articulation, but unfortunately the Mathis organs sound like huge synthesizers, even though they are tuned in unequal temperament. Maybe Jean-Michel Jarre would have liked it, but I had some rather tiring listening experiences, despite Meister's attractive playing.
He should have picked a nice Silbermann or Wagner organ IMHO. Pity, a missed opportunity.

The booklet only states that two of the (three) organs in use are tuned unequally. The third organ, the Mathis organ, Schutzengelkirche Eichstätt, DE, which he uses for BWV 544, 552 & 582, is probably equally tuned and sounds like that.

I agree with you about the sound of the organs on these CDs. Maybe the fault of the recording, since MC Alains recording of BWV 525-530 using one of these organs, the one in the Pfarrkirche, St. Hilarius, Näfels, didn´t sound that bad.

Considering your post, I think you would like this, which I recommended in the first post of this very thread:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Triosonaten-BWV-525-530/hnum/6795941
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 04, 2013, 01:00:22 PM
The booklet only states that two of the (three) organs in use are tuned unequally. The third organ, the Mathis organ, Schutzengelkirche Eichstätt, DE, which he uses for BWV 544, 552 & 582, is probably equally tuned and sounds like that.

I agree with you about the sound of the organs on these CDs. Maybe the fault of the recording, since MC Alains recording of BWV 525-530 using one of these organs, the one in the Pfarrkirche, St. Hilarius, Näfels, didn´t sound that bad.

Considering your post, I think you would like this, which I recommended in the first post of this very thread:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Triosonaten-BWV-525-530/hnum/6795941

You're right, it's the 'big' 32ft equally tuned organ that's suffering the most from the 'Jarre' sound.

And thanks for the link! My first aim was indeed this Sonatas disc, but it wasn't in the catalogue of the Dutch central library. Therefore I'm very happy with this jpc possibility. (The Amazon prices are astrological.)

Wakefield

Quote from: Marc on August 04, 2013, 09:44:37 PM
(The Amazon prices are astrological.)

I enjoyed the almost imperceptible turn from "astronomical" to "astrological". After all, we love old instruments. :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Marc

Quote from: Annie on August 25, 2013, 10:26:13 AM
That's prejudgemental and sarcastic. Maybe Amazon applies different pricing to different signs that we don't know of. i.e. September is a 10% discount month for Virgo...

That was exactly my point. :P

I'll have to wait for November 22nd and then .... shoot!

Oh and btw: this is a long thread .... but it's a very very nice thread. :)

jlaurson

Marc et al.: Anyone can tell me which organ(s) Chapuis uses on his Valois set?

Builder (if available), Year of built (year(s) of major restorations if applicable), Name of Church, City

jlaurson

Quote from: Annie on September 20, 2013, 04:50:29 AM
I can, Jenny...should I list here? It's easier and healthier if I'm allowed to attach a scan of the related page from his booklet

Whatever is easier for you, Bob.

jlaurson

Quote from: Annie on September 20, 2013, 05:35:09 AM
I was being sensitive about forum rules.
Would that do, Jenny?

Perfect, Bob! Much obliged.

jlaurson

A year's worth of prepping (here a day, there an hour) -- and finally a day to put it all together into code... not quite finished yet (especially information on the organs still missing from many sets), but in presentable shape:

A Survey of Bach Organ Cycles

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-survey-of-bach-organ-cycles.html

Got to add Isoir, seeing that it'll be re-issued soon (the concertos are already out), and the Haenssler cooperative cycle. Pain in the rear, seeing how this involves shifting cycles downward. Lots of treacherous cutting & pasting.

Opus106

To be released on Oct. 29th.

[asin]B00CBEA5M6[/asin]

Now, they should bring out all the non-organ keyboard works in a reasonably-priced box and I'll be happy.
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on October 03, 2013, 11:35:10 AM
To be released on Oct. 29th.

Now, they should bring out all the non-organ keyboard works in a reasonably-priced box and I'll be happy.

PERFECT!  I was just wondering when this would be released. Does anyone have the earliest and latest recording date of that set? I've got the organists, at least... but not, I think, the organs used, for my Bach Organ Survey. (Sounds dirty, somehow. Reminds me of a paper that one of my German professors once (allegedly) received and began thus: "Bach had 20 Children. He was a grand master of the organ."

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on October 03, 2013, 01:38:58 PM
PERFECT!  I was just wondering when this would be released. Does anyone have the earliest and latest recording date of that set? I've got the organists, at least... but not, I think, the organs used, for my Bach Organ Survey. (Sounds dirty, somehow. Reminds me of a paper that one of my German professors once (allegedly) received and began thus: "Bach had 20 Children. He was a grand master of the organ."

The hard copy track listings contain only the barest information of who plays;  I'll dig out the PDF booklets from my hard drive and see if they have any information. Besides recording dates and instruments, is there any other information you need/want?

Wakefield

Quote from: jlaurson on October 03, 2013, 01:38:58 PM

It's so embarrassing... I uploaded the booklet of the complete organ works on Hänssler, but when I was sending the link to you, this message appeared:

User 'jlaurson' has blocked your personal message.

:-[ :'( :P
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

jlaurson

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 03, 2013, 05:20:18 PM
It's so embarrassing... I uploaded the booklet of the complete organ works on Hänssler, but when I was sending the link to you, this message appeared:

User 'jlaurson' has blocked your personal message.

:-[ :'( :P

Ooops. Sorry about that. The settings have been amended.

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on September 20, 2013, 03:35:45 PM
A year's worth of prepping (here a day, there an hour) -- and finally a day to put it all together into code... not quite finished yet (especially information on the organs still missing from many sets), but in presentable shape:

A Survey of Bach Organ Cycles

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-survey-of-bach-organ-cycles.html

Got to add Isoir, seeing that it'll be re-issued soon (the concertos are already out), and the Haenssler cooperative cycle. Pain in the rear, seeing how this involves shifting cycles downward. Lots of treacherous cutting & pasting.

Updated with the pertinent information. Thanks much all'round.

DavidW

Looking at Jens survey I see that Alain's third cycle is available for only $40 from amazon MP.  Worth it?

Parsifal

Quote from: DavidW on October 04, 2013, 07:24:27 AM
Looking at Jens survey I see that Alain's third cycle is available for only $40 from amazon MP.  Worth it?

To me, yes.  But if I had to pick one Alain cycle, it would be the second.  The third cycle is generally recorded with too much reverberation for my taste.

DavidW

That set is even cheaper!  I assumed incorrectly that the newer cycle would have better sound quality.

Parsifal

Quote from: DavidW on October 04, 2013, 07:28:57 AM
That set is even cheaper!  I assumed incorrectly that the newer cycle would have better sound quality.

Sound quality is in the ear of the beholder, to some extent.  The digital set sounds good on headphones, but over speakers, to washy (in my listening room, in any case).  If I were restricted to one set it would probably be Koopman.

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on October 04, 2013, 07:28:57 AM

Oh, I wouldn't say it's a matter of quality but rather of taste. In any case: can't go wrong with either!