J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Just for my own reference really as I'm so impressed by Foccroulle's AoF (2010), here are the dates of recording of his other Bach CDs (by number from the big box)

1 -- 1997
2 -- 1995
3 -- 1996
4 -- 1995
5 -- 1997
6 -- 1982
7 --
8 -- 1998
9 -- 1990
10 -- 1990/1984/1997
11 -- 1997
12 (i-viii) -- 1997
12(rest) -- 2008
13 -- 1991 (? it's not clear to me)
14 -- 1991/1992
15 -- 1992

Maybe someone can see the dates of 16, 13 and 7.

I've been so much more impressed by the AoF than the stuff in the big box that my theory is he's just got better -- so clearly CD 12  and CD 6 are  things I need to listen to to verify/falsify this idea.

The essay in the booklet by Foccroulle, on meaning in Bach, is well worth looking at for its candour -- he talks about Sabra and Chatilla (1982), Rwanda (1994), the siege of Sarajevo (1992-1996) and the unification of Berlin (1989)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 06, 2014, 10:56:31 PM
Just for my own reference really as I'm so impressed by Foccroulle's AoF (2010), here are the dates of recording of his other Bach CDs (by number from the big box)

1 -- 1997
2 -- 1995
3 -- 1996
4 -- 1995
5 -- 1997
6 -- 1982
7 --
8 -- 1998
9 -- 1990
10 -- 1990/1984/1997
11 -- 1997
12 (i-viii) -- 1997
12(rest) -- 2008
13 -- 1991 (? it's not clear to me)
14 -- 1991/1992
15 -- 1992

Maybe someone can see the dates of 16, 13 and 7.

I've been so much more impressed by the AoF than the stuff in the big box that my theory is he's just got better -- so clearly CD 12  and CD 6 are  things I need to listen to to verify/falsify this idea.

The essay in the booklet by Foccroulle, on meaning in Bach, is well worth looking at for its candour -- he talks about Sabra and Chatilla (1982), Rwanda (1994), the siege of Sarajevo (1992-1996) and the unification of Berlin (1989)

The booklet I own writes:

VOL.VII (Orgelbüchleion) 1985
VOL.XIII (Leipzigchorales et.c.) Oct 1991
VOL XVI  (Triosonatas VI, IV and III) August 1992 and (Eight small preludes and fugues) June 1997

VOL XI and XII 1-8 is July 1987
VOL VIII is Oct 1988

Haven´t we got identical booklets?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 07, 2014, 10:24:16 AM
The booklet I own writes:

VOL.VII (Orgelbüchleion) 1985
VOL.XIII (Leipzigchorales et.c.) Oct 1991
VOL XVI  (Triosonatas VI, IV and III) August 1992 and (Eight small preludes and fugues) June 1997

VOL XI and XII 1-8 is July 1987
VOL VIII is Oct 1988

Haven´t we got identical booklets?

I have a bad scan. Mine is a download. I listened to the Passacaglia on CD 112 which is one of the very late ones, and, you know, it's wonderful!

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 07, 2014, 10:54:28 AM
I have a bad scan. Mine is a download. I listened to the Passacaglia on CD 112 which is one of the very late ones, and, you know, it's wonderful!

Perhaps you do not know, that Foccroulle in June 1984 made a recording on the Schonat/Hagerbeer organ, Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam (the original release VOL. I) containing BWV 565, 730-31, 718, 727, 542, 735, 592, 728 and 582, so the 2008 recording on the Martini organ is a re-recording.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 07, 2014, 11:11:11 AM
Perhaps you do not know, that Foccroulle in June 1984 made a recording on the Schonat/Hagerbeer organ, Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam (the original release VOL. I) containing BWV 565, 730-31, 718, 727, 542, 735, 592, 728 and 582, so the 2008 recording on the Martini organ is a re-recording.

No, I didn't know. I heard him play Buxtehude in London recently, with a light show to look at  while he was playing. I like his style very much and I hope he hasn't sidelined baroque music for modern music and running festivals. .

Marc

Here's the famous/notorious Toccata con Fuga ex d-moll BWV 565, played by Bernard Foccroulle in his younger years (1984), on the Dutch baroque organ of the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, built in 1655 by Hans Wolf Schonat and expanded some years later by Roelof Barentsz Duyschot and Jacobus Galtusz van Hagerbeer:

http://www.youtube.com/v/PeKMsCIZ2rQ

As Premont indicated, this is another BWV 565 than the boxset performance (Schnitger et al, Martinikerk, Groningen, NL, recorded in 2008).
Only a few of the 1984 recording survived in the integral boxset (BWV 730, 731 and 592).

Marc

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 08, 2014, 12:17:20 AM
Super-duper is stretching it a bit for a €100 offer.... 8)  :D

Still, it is a complete Bach organ set marked down from €180 and on one of the most expensive labels known to mankind.... ::)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Orgelwerke-Gesamtaufnahme-auf-Silbermann-Orgeln-SACD/hnum/3172801

Q

It sounds fantastic still expensive....
Tell me Que what do you think about the performances?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry's on November 08, 2014, 12:46:06 AM
It sounds fantastic still expensive....
Tell me Que what do you think about the performances?

I think I'm hardly qualified to pass a judgement, since I don't know have he set.  :-\

Premont, Marc and others might have more helpful comments to make! :)

But, I can share my own thoughts. It might be a set of significant interest.

Of course, Aeolus had planned to record this entire set with Ewald Kooiman - judging from watch I've heard by him, his participation is a big plus in my book.
But he passed away halfway through the project, and it was finished by a number of his former students. They are an unknown to me.
Kooiman wanted a change after his previous recordings on primarily Dutch organs (if only someone would reissue his cycle on Coronata) and opted for a entire cycle on Silbermann organs.
That is a coin that can flip two ways. I love Bach on Northern organs (Northern Germany, Netherlands, Denmark) and have some hesitations about the brighter and more opulent Silbermanns.
But it could be a main attraction! :) I have little doubt that the way the instruments have been recorded will be second to none, considering Aelous' technical standards. I expect nothing less than a quality comparable to (organ) recordings on DIVOX, which also happens to be German... :)

I would be happy to see further comments from those that are in-the-know on this set. :)

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 08, 2014, 01:55:36 AM
I think I'm hardly qualified to pass a judgement, since I don't know have he set.  :-\

Premont, Marc and others might have more helpful comments to make! :)

But, I can share my own thoughts. It might be a set of significant interest.

Of course, Aeolus had planned to record this entire set with Ewald Kooiman - judging from watch I've heard by him, his participation is a big plus in my book.
But he passed away halfway through the project, and it was finished by a number of his former students. They are an unknown to me.
Kooiman wanted a change after his previous recordings on primarily Dutch organs (if only someone would reissue his cycle on Coronata) and opted for a entire cycle on Silbermann organs.
That is a coin that can flip two ways. I love Bach on Northern organs (Northern Germany, Netherlands, Denmark) and have some hesitations about the brighter and more opulent Silbermanns.
But it could be a main attraction! :) I have little doubt that the way the instruments have been recorded will be second to none, considering Aelous' technical standards. I expect nothing less than a quality comparable to (organ) recordings on DIVOX, which also happens to be German... :)

I would be happy to see further comments from those that are in-the-know on this set. :)

Q

So I am halfway in, having on the one side the CPO box, I guess one with the Silbermann's Organs, of which I love the sound, is a natural companion. And although I have no hesitations concerning Kooiman, I know next to nothing about his pupils. I have it on my order list, but before I push the button, I would like Premont to comment on this set too.

mc ukrneal

I know nothing of that issue, but there is this quite detailed description of it (even if you need more dependable recommnedation of its performance quality) that at least gives a good physical description of what is there: http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/8193
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 08, 2014, 05:11:42 AM
I know nothing of that issue, but there is this quite detailed description of it (even if you need more dependable recommnedation of its performance quality) that at least gives a good physical description of what is there: http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/8193

Thank you Neal, that a good start towards this set!

prémont

Quote from: Harry's on November 08, 2014, 04:20:43 AM
So I am halfway in, having on the one side the CPO box, I guess one with the Silbermann's Organs, of which I love the sound, is a natural companion. And although I have no hesitations concerning Kooiman, I know next to nothing about his pupils. I have it on my order list, but before I push the button, I would like Premont to comment on this set too.

Kooiman has always been one of my favorite Bach interpreters, who´s combination of schooling and profound expression is utterly convincing, and he is fully up to my expectations in this set. The three pupils are generally true to the basic elements of his style, all of them fortunately retaining some individuality, and I am particularly fond of Ute Gremmel-Geuchen, who´s Clavierübung III leaves nothing to Kooiman´s earlier recording on Coronata. Most individual as to expression is Bernhard Klapprott, who has recorded two of the nineteen CDs of the set. The  set constitutes a worthy memorial of Kooiman and his role as an inspiring teacher and a musician.

Before I ordered the set, I had a few concerns regarding the use of A. and J.A. Silbermann organs for this music, but these were immediately silenced. Although I prefer Schnitger and Gottfried Silbermann organs for Bach's organ works, I have to admit that the sounding result with the classic French sounding A. and J.A. Silbermann organs is impressive. A contributing factor is undoubtedly the impeccable sound engineering of the recordings .

However I miss a list of the used registrations for the individual pieces. This is nowadays obligatory for a release like this.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 08, 2014, 06:01:16 AM
Kooiman has always been one of my favorite Bach interpreters, who´s combination of scolarship and profound expression is utterly convincing, and he is fully up to my expectations in this set. The three pupils are generally true to the basic elements of his style, all of them fortunately retaining some individuality, and I am particularly fond of Ute Gremmel-Geuchen, who´s Clavierübung III leaves nothing to Kooiman´s earlier recording on Coronata. Most individual as to expression is Bernhard Klapprott, who has recorded two of the nineteen CDs of the set. The  set constitutes a worthy memorial on Kooiman and his role as an inspiring teacher and a musician.

Before I ordered the set, I had a few concerns regarding the use of A. and J.A. Silbermann organs for this music, but these were immediately silenced. Although I prefer Schnitger and Gottfried Silbermann organs for Bach's organ works, I have to admit that the sounding result with the classic French sounding A. and J.A. Silbermann organs is impressive. A contributing factor is undoubtedly impeccable sound Engineering of the recordings .

However I miss a list of the used registrations for the individual pieces. This is nowadays obligatory for a release like this.

Thank you Premont, that seals the deal for me, thank you for telling us this.

prémont

Quote from: Harry's on November 08, 2014, 06:06:03 AM
Thank you Premont, that seals the deal for me, thank you for telling us this.

You are welcome my friend, I am sure, that you will like the set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 08, 2014, 06:14:43 AM
You are welcome my friend, I am sure, that you will like the set.

Me, too.

:)

Here's Ewald Kooiman, shortly before his unexpected death, playing on the Andreas Silbermann organ in Marmoutier: BWV 913-1, 629, 621 & 616.

I do love those French 'growling' reed stops.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Et-IBlSJqV8

Marc

Kooiman playing BWV 1099 on the Johann Andreas Silbermann organ in Wasselonne:

http://www.youtube.com/v/hw5-P_NPC3E

And here's Kooiman's former pupil Ute Gremmel-Geuchen with the Fugue in G-minor BWV 131a, on the reconstructed Johann Andreas Silbermann Organ in Villingen.

http://www.youtube.com/v/MFJgzB3mXkg

Marc

After all the 'Ewald Kooiman commotion' I found this: Maria-Magdalena Kaczor.
For those who like to dance on Big Hits .... the editing room is SWINGING.

;)

http://www.youtube.com/v/bSDZCZcnqoM

Moonfish

I love to read the posts in this thread as I sense how engaged all of you are with JS Bach's organ works.  Personally I seem to gravitate around the trio sonatas on an almost continuous basis while knowing well that I should take a much longer walk within this realm of music. What made you so passionate about organ music and JS Bach's organ music in the first place?  With my limited experience I sense a degree of meditation when I listen to these works as I get lost in the intricate patterns of the instrument. Is that something that you are drawn to as well?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Marc

Quote from: Moonfish on November 08, 2014, 02:09:05 PM
I love to read the posts in this thread as I sense how engaged all of you are with JS Bach's organ works.  Personally I seem to gravitate around the trio sonatas on an almost continuous basis while knowing well that I should take a much longer walk within this realm of music. What made you so passionate about organ music and JS Bach's organ music in the first place?  With my limited experience I sense a degree of meditation when I listen to these works as I get lost in the intricate patterns of the instrument. Is that something that you are drawn to as well?

Raised in a Christian family, I fell in love with the sound of the pipe organ as a kid. All those different sounds, from intimate flutes to a thundering plenum! Just WOW.

Then I lost my faith during my teens, kept out of churches when possible and somehow lost the connection with the ultimate church instrument, too.
Complete nonsense of course, because I kept listening to (and visiting concerts of) religious vocal music of Bach, Mozart, Renaissance Masters and all the others I deliberately forget to mention.

Now that I turned old and grey, and just a tad wiser, I realized my nonsensical attitute .... and embraced the organ again. My best rediscovery of the last 10 years or so!

I.c. meditation: I am aware of the fact that f.i. meditation, mindfulness, Eastern religions and their meanings are growing more and more popular worldwide, also with people in my own environment.

I always say: I already have my religion/meditation/whatever .... thanks to music in general, and thanks to f.i. Bach and the organ in particular. To me, listening to pieces like BWV 544, 548, 582, 659-661 and 682 (just mentioning a few) can be a spiritual uplifting experience, especially in live concerts.