J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpowders

Who needs any new Bach organ performances when we have major statements by Walcha, Alain, Koopman and Hurford?

I've listened to both Fickley CDs-simply okay, with a bit too much reverberation.
"Why do so many of us try to explain the beauty of music thus depriving it of its mystery?" Leonard Bernstein. (Wait a minute!! Didn't Bernstein spend most of his life doing exactly that???)

Marc

Quote from: hpowders on September 17, 2016, 10:32:36 AM
Who needs any new Bach organ performances when we have major statements by Walcha, Alain, Koopman and Hurford?
[...]

I do.
Right now I'm collecting Cor Ardesch.

hpowders

Quote from: Marc on September 17, 2016, 10:50:30 AM
I do.

I guess for you, collecting new performances of Bach on organ is the Cor-rect one.
"Why do so many of us try to explain the beauty of music thus depriving it of its mystery?" Leonard Bernstein. (Wait a minute!! Didn't Bernstein spend most of his life doing exactly that???)

Marc

Quote from: hpowders on September 17, 2016, 10:54:10 AM
I guess for you, collecting new performances of Bach on organ is the Cor-rect one.

:)

Well, each and every organ(ist) delivers different insights.
I just love the works, and I love the instrument with all its possibilities, especially the sound of the older ones or the ones based on the older ones.... and after you've heard one or two of them in a live concert, well, nuff said.
But yes, whether Cor-rect or not, I do admit it's a personal aberration (and a rather expensive one).

hpowders

Quote from: Marc on September 17, 2016, 11:00:40 AM

Well, each and every organ(ist) delivers different insights.
I just love the works, and I love the instrument with all its possibilities, especially the sound of the older ones or the ones based on the older ones.... and after you've heard one or two of them in a live concert, well, nuff said.
But yes, whether Cor-rect or not, I do admit it's a personal aberration (and a rather expensive one).

Yes. The newer CDs will cost a lot. I bought the second Alain set (15 CDs) for less than $2 a CD.

Still, being addicted to newer CDs is a lot cheaper than buying a new car and trading it in after a year.  ;D

Enjoy the performances!

Marc

Quote from: hpowders on September 17, 2016, 11:05:52 AM
Yes. The newer CDs will cost a lot. I bought the second Alain set (15 CDs) for less than $2 a CD.

Still, being addicted to newer CDs is a lot cheaper than buying a new car and trading it in after a year.  ;D

Enjoy the performances!

Thanks for the wishes.

By the way, I don't have a car and I don't even have a driving license.
Just to make sure that I can buy my Ardesch.

I will listen to his Bach with... Passion.

https://www.youtube.com/v/BQTxcphGvCs

https://www.youtube.com/v/s9tAy7KWOZg

jlaurson

Quote from: Marc on September 17, 2016, 10:50:30 AM
Quote from: jlaurson on April 24, 2016, 06:08:30 AM

A Survey of Bach Organ Cycles

Updated: 04/24/2016: André Isoir and and the Hänssler cycle have been put into chronological order. The details of the organs used (on mouse-over, depending on your browser) are now included for Koopman, Alain III, Weinberger, Foccroulle and (partly) Phillips....

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-survey-of-bach-organ-cycles.html

I do.

Agreed on Alain and Koopman as excellent... but Walcha, the human metronome, I am growing increasingly disenchanted with. He makes Stockmeier sound like a wild man.

But most of all agreed on further exploring these as living works; doubly living with both interpretations and instruments contributing so much to the character. Will check me out some Cor Ardesch!  ;)

hpowders

Quote from: jlaurson on September 17, 2016, 12:49:39 PM
I do.

Agreed on Alain and Koopman as excellent... but Walcha, the human metronome, I am growing increasingly disenchanted with. He makes Stockmeier sound like a wild man.

But most of all agreed on further exploring these as living works; doubly living with both interpretations and instruments contributing so much to the character. Will check me out some Cor Ardesch!  ;)

Well, in my opinion NOBODY does the complex voicings of the fugues better than Walcha, at least from my Cor-ner of the world.

prémont

Quote from: hpowders on September 17, 2016, 01:27:24 PM
Well, in my opinion NOBODY does the complex voicings of the fugues better than Walcha, at least from my Cor-ner of the world.

Yes, you are right, but there are other questionable things in Walcha's interpretations.
As Harald Vogel once said: Walcha knows more about Bach than most of us, but he has got the details wrong.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

XB-70 Valkyrie

I listened to the Walcha recordings (stereo, on Archiv) intently for years before I started branching out into other complete/boxed sets; My second complete set is the Alain (second version, I think), which I generally prefer now, in no small part because of the organs and the sound quality. I have many single discs by other performers--Anton Heiller, Karl Richter (who everyone here seems to detest  ???), Michael Murray, Peter Hurford, et al.

One of my major complaints about the Walcha set is the very dry sound, lack of sense of venue, and the organs themselves, which are not the most interesting ones around IMO.

In any case, these complete sets really take years to fully listen to and appreciate. Therefore, such a purchase is not something to be taken lightly. In any case, I am eager to get the Hurford set ($$$$$$$$) next, but I still need complete sets of Buxtehude (Harald Vogel, I'm getting) and Reger (probably the Naxos set) first.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

prémont

One can never have too many recordings of Bach's organ works. We have major statements from at least 25 different organists.

Quote from: hpowders
I've listened to both Fickley CDs-simply okay, with a bit too much reverberation.

I think the Zwolle organ sounds artificial on Fickley's recording, and I had this thought before I knew, how it was produced. BTW I have never heard the Zwolle organ live, but there are many excellent recordings of this organ for comparison. But the worst thing is that Fickley's interpretations are uninteresting.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

hpowders

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 17, 2016, 02:47:16 PM
One can never have too many recordings of Bach's organ works. We have major statements from at least 25 different organists.

I think the Zwolle organ sounds artificial on Fickley's recording, and I had this thought before I knew, how it was produced. BTW I have never heard the Zwolle organ live, but there are many excellent recordings of this organ for comparison. But the worst thing is that Fickley's interpretations are uninteresting.

One thing good I will say for Fickley-he at least adds a few interesting embellishments.

Marc

Quote from: jlaurson on September 17, 2016, 12:49:39 PM
[....]
Will check me out some Cor Ardesch!  ;)

Not easy to get outside NL, I'm afraid.
You could try this shop though:

http://webwinkel.poortmusic.nl/klassiek_cd/p-1/?Componist=bach&_globalsearch=ardesch
e-mail: poort@poortmusic.nl

I really don't know if they deliver abroad, and, if they do, shipping costs will raise the expense. :(

Ardesch was a pupil of Piet Kee, who recorded for Chandos in the past.
His style of playing could be described as somewhere in between his teacher's and Bram Beekman's approaches.
In short: confident and well-balanced.

Marc

Quote from: Marc on September 17, 2016, 04:38:11 PM
Not easy to get outside NL, I'm afraid.

Hang on.
In another YouTube clip I found, Ardesch himself spoke of the possibilities of putting some stuff on Spotify.
He didn't say if and when, though...

jlaurson

#morninglistening to #GeorgeRitchie playing #Bach on the Fritts-Richards op.4 organ at St.... http://ift.tt/2cEMTCy

to XB-70 Valkyrie:
Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 17, 2016, 02:43:33 PM
...In any case, these complete sets really take years to fully listen to and appreciate. Therefore, such a purchase is not something to be taken lightly. In any case, I am eager to get the Hurford set ($$$$$$$$) next, but I still need complete sets of Buxtehude (Harald Vogel, I'm getting) and Reger (probably the Naxos set) first.

I've only heard volume 1 of his Reger, so far, but Buttmann [sic] on Oehms so seriously blows everything else I have out of the water (Haas, most of the Naxos + individual discs here and there), that I would at least suggest sampling some of that before going through with a purchase.

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

jlaurson

Quote from: Marc on September 17, 2016, 04:52:20 PM
Hang on.
In another YouTube clip I found, Ardesch himself spoke of the possibilities of putting some stuff on Spotify.
He didn't say if and when, though...

Found it, thanks. Interesting that he self-distributes and that there is no label that would take that with a hand-kiss. But perhaps it's financially more feasible that way. Am looking forward to hearing it and, if it merits it, draw a bit more attention from outside the NL to it.

What are your impressions, so far? Any favorites among the discs you (presumably) have?

Marc

Quote from: jlaurson on September 19, 2016, 12:18:40 AM
[...] Am looking forward to hearing it and, if it merits it, draw a bit more attention from outside the NL to it.

What are your impressions, so far? Any favorites among the discs you (presumably) have?

Not an easy question, because I was 'behind' with collecting the series, and bought nos 10 to 17 last summer in a shop in Leeuwarden (which was the shop in my first link).
I haven't found enough time to listen to these volumes in a proper way.

From volume 1 to 8, I recall being very happy with his Orgelbüchlein performances (Advent, Christmas, Lent).
IMO, Ardesch has got a fine taste for picking the 'right' registration.

I haven't purchased the final disc (no 18) yet, but I think it might be interesting to begin with Volume 1 AND 18, because he recorded BWV 547 both in 2008 (when the organ was still brand new) and in 2016, so you can check out for yourself if or how much both organist and organ have 'matured'.

Marc

Quote from: jlaurson on September 19, 2016, 12:18:40 AM
[...] Interesting that he self-distributes and that there is no label that would take that with a hand-kiss. But perhaps it's financially more feasible that way.

Many Dutch organ discs are distributed like that, by the artists themselves or by a small, sometimes temporary, label.
And when the discs are out of print, well, that's it, then.

Most organists aren't good and/or interested in the economical/promotional side of their job and recordings... according to a cd shop owner I recently talked to. Which is understandable of course, because the organ is the Instrument of God. And God, as we all know, is not interested in money... or is He?

Harry

Quote from: Marc on September 19, 2016, 02:55:03 AM
Many Dutch organ discs are distributed like that, by the artists themselves or by a small, sometimes temporary, label.
And when the discs are out of print, well, that's it, then.

Most organists aren't good and/or interested in the economical/promotional side of their job and recordings... according to a cd shop owner I recently talked to. Which is understandable of course, because the organ is the Instrument of God. And God, as we all know, is not interested in money... or is He?

A CD shop owner, so they still exist here and there? I am utterly jealous of the shop that Que has nearby his home. In Groningen there are no shops of renown that I know off, and what they had to say about classical music or organists (Carillion) was not worth repeating.
I personally have no hot line to God, to ask him about money and the having of it, but be sure as soon as we meet, I will ask him. :)
Anyways presently I have 6 boxes with the complete organ music by Bach in the waiting, and will start listening to them for the first time, while two sets are going at the second time.  And since I have my birthday this week, I fully expect to get some more of Bach organ works. I gave clear instructions, so no fear of getting the wrong interpretations. Ardesch was virtually unknown to me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."