Popular Music

Started by Steve, May 01, 2007, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many non-classical albums do you own?

Nearly a Library's Worth (500+)
19 (25.7%)
Large Collection (200-500)
11 (14.9%)
Quite a bit (50-200)
11 (14.9%)
Some (1-50)
27 (36.5%)
None
6 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Grazioso

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 01:18:30 PM
My that's quite the collection. I find it amazing how people can have such eclectic tastes. Metal and Classical? Interesting.

Metal and classical are natural musical partners, I've found. The parallels are sometimes striking, and metal also has a well-known "neo-classical" streak explicitly influenced by classical composers and composition techniques, particularly of the Baroque era.

I have nearly as many jazz CD's as classical, though that hasn't really been "popular music" in any sense since the 1940's. I don't have many rock/pop CD's anymore but used to have a bunch. I still listen to that sometimes.

Quote from: donwyn on May 01, 2007, 09:37:28 PM
Lately my enjoyment for pop music has dropped to such a low I can hardly stand to listen to it anymore.

But classical's not on the hook for this downslide.

No, it's jazz.

And principally...jazz drumming!

I've reached the point that I'm so hypnotized by the singing beauty of complex drum patterns/rhythms that I can barely tolerate the monotony of the metronome-like, nondescript, time-beating emptiness of pop beats. 1-2, 1-2, 1-2...

Ugh.

But not limited to the subtle jazz beat, of course! There's nothing like a drummer in full fury throwing off the bedazzling solo. Nor of the creativeness of a drummer keeping 'beat' by way of excursions into the kaleidoscopic.

Sure beats simple time-beating, anyway.

As an ardent jazz fan, I know what you mean, though in fairness, there's a decent amount of rock with complex drumming and unusual or shifting meters: try some prog rock or metal. That said, much of it is in simple straight 4/4.

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

George

Quote from: Grazioso on May 02, 2007, 03:26:05 AM
As an ardent jazz fan, I know what you mean, though in fairness, there's a decent amount of rock with complex drumming and unusual or shifting meters: try some prog rock or metal. That said, much of it is in simple straight 4/4.

Indeed, Aenima and Lateralus by Tool are two great examples.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry on May 01, 2007, 01:33:35 PM
None I voted, because it is none! :)

Has anyone here heard Dutch pop music? I have...unfortunately. I can attest that is the reason for Harry's aversion. ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on May 01, 2007, 01:33:35 PM
None I voted, because it is none! :)

What about . . . Oleg?

karlhenning

Decidedly in the "Some" category, myself.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 01:30:18 PM
The contents of my non-classical collection are almost entirely Jazz-oriented. I know many classical devotees with interests in other vocal music and jazz, but none with an avid interest in metal. I might explain this by pointing out the similarities between related popular genres and classical. As for Metal..Rap...Other Heavy Rock I see almost no real similarities.

There are similarites actually. If Haffner (Andy) were still here he would explain that it was his interest in metal that got him into classical music. Yngwie Malmsteen, for example, was influenced by Paganini's Caprices.

I've got a large collection of music, around 10,000 LPs, CDs, cassettes and singles, roughly split 60/40 (60 percent classical). Like Rubio I enjoy almost every "popular" genre (yes, even metal, rap and hardcore punk), popular being defined as anything non-classical. In fact, many "popular" forms of music are even less popular than classical as dB has pointed out. Fewer jazz, blues, bluegrass, folk and techno CDs are sold worldwide than classical. A genre like alt country is an extremely small niche; it doesn't even get played on commercial broadcast radio.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MrOsa on May 01, 2007, 03:40:10 PM
Actually, I've heard some sad popular music too...

;D :D ;D

Sarge

karlhenning

Quote from: MrOsa on May 01, 2007, 03:40:10 PM
Actually, I've heard some sad popular music too...

Some reading to accompany that:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: donwyn on May 01, 2007, 09:37:28 PM
But not limited to the subtle jazz beat, of course! There's nothing like a drummer in full fury throwing off the bedazzling solo. Nor of the creativeness of a drummer keeping 'beat' by way of excursions into the kaleidoscopic.

Sure beats simple time-beating, anyway.

Don, you should hear the Grateful Dead's twin drummers in concert. A feature of nearly every show in the second set was a ten to twenty minute segment called "Drums" where they showed their amazing skills, their music influenced by jazz, classical and "world" drumming. Drums would segue into "Space" when the other members of the Dead returned to the stage. While the drummers took a break the band would play some incredibly complex improvisations influenced by Phil Lesh's classical background (he once had a chance to study with Berio in Italy...Berio was highly impressed by his compositional skills...but Phil chose the Dead instead).

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 01, 2007, 05:21:21 PM
"Jazz is usually listed under pop music..."

???

More correctly you might say jazz is usually listed under popular music..."pop" being it's own genre under popular. But as I pointed out already, popular doesn't necessarily mean popular; it's just a term to differentiate it from classical music. Jazz is not popular today although it's a popular form of music. Once upon a time (20s, 30s, 40s) it was both popular and popular ;D

Sarge

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2007, 04:32:52 AM
What about . . . Oleg?

Well that is religious acoustic music, so certainly not pop huh

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 01, 2007, 01:11:18 PM
Is gay. The end...

That's what some people I know say about classical.  ;D

marvinbrown

I have about 20 Pop cds that are stashed somewhere at my parents place. I have not heard these cds for over 2 and 1/2 years now, I suspect my sister has them by now.   As I mentioned before on another thread  I walked into HMV recently and DID NOT recognize ANY of the current pop/rock/jazz/blues artists etc.  I am running into problems with freinds and colleagues, most are between the ages of 25-35, and all they talk about is this pop singer and that. All I can do is nod my head and keep silent.  If they only knew how much I liked opera and Mozart and Bach and Beethoven........better keep that to myself n'est pas?  :-\

marvin

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 03:53:17 PM
Of the little popular music that I do enjoy, Jazz certainly has its merits.  :)

News flash. Jazz is not popular. Oh maybe in the '40s...

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2007, 04:56:48 AM
More correctly you might say jazz is usually listed under popular music..."pop" being it's own genre under popular. But as I pointed out already, popular doesn't necessarily mean popular; it's just a term to differentiate it from classical music. Jazz is not popular today although it's a popular form of music. Once upon a time (20s, 30s, 40s) it was both popular and popular ;D

Sarge

I've NEVER seen it listed under "popular." I'm not sure about the crazy record stores in Germany.  ;D

Harry

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 02, 2007, 05:28:14 AM
  I have about 20 Pop cds that are stashed somewhere at my parents place. I have not heard these cds for over 2 and 1/2 years now, I suspect my sister has them by now.   As I mentioned before on another thread  I walked into HMV recently and DID NOT recognize ANY of the current pop/rock/jazz/blues artists etc.  I am running into problems with freinds and colleagues, most are between the ages of 25-35, and all they talk about is this pop singer and that. All I can do is nod my head and keep silent.  If they only knew how much I liked opera and Mozart and Bach and Beethoven........better keep that to myself n'est pas?  :-\

marvin

Yes, better! ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 02, 2007, 05:31:11 AM
I've NEVER seen it listed under "popular." I'm not sure about the crazy record stores in Germany.  ;D

I say again, it's just a convenient term to differentiate western classical music from every other type of music. And I'm sure that's exactly what the OP had in mind when he made the poll. If he means, strictly speaking, only POP music, then I have very little. But I'm sure that's not what he means. He means: who has records of Sinatra, Joni Mitchell, Britney Spears, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Tool, Moby, the Carter Family, Shania Twain, Mingus, Glen Miller, Don Ho, the Beatles, Yes, Blondie, Tom Waits, Emmylou Harris, Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson, etc, etc, etc...all popular artists; not a classical artist among them.

Sarge

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2007, 06:06:21 AM
I say again, it's just a convenient term to differentiate western classical music from every other type of music. And I'm sure that's exactly what the OP had in mind when he made the poll. If he means, strictly speaking, only POP music, then I have very little. But I'm sure that's not what he means. He means: who has records of Sinatra, Joni Mitchell, Britney Spears, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Tool, Moby, the Carter Family, Shania Twain, Mingus, Glen Miller, Don Ho, the Beatles, Yes, Blondie, Tom Waits, Emmylou Harris, Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson, etc, etc, etc...all popular artists; not a classical artist among them.

Sarge

"Non-classical" makes more sense, but now I see what you were saying. I thought you were implying that jazz in general is listed under "popular." Ever hear Ornette Coleman on a pop station? I think not. ;)

71 dB

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 02, 2007, 06:09:40 AM
"Non-classical" makes more sense, but now I see what you were saying. I thought you were implying that jazz in general is listed under "popular." Ever hear Ornette Coleman on a pop station? I think not. ;)

For example, Amazon has only two (?!?) main categories, classical and popular. Jazz isn't in the former.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

dtwilbanks

Quote from: 71 dB on May 02, 2007, 06:19:42 AM
For example, Amazon has only two (?!?) main categories, classical and popular. Jazz isn't in the former.

I get the point now. It takes me a while sometimes. I still don't like it though. It's probably separate because it's catalogued differently: composer rather than artist.