What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bogey

and

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jaakko Keskinen

I recently bought Warren Darcy's study of Rheingold. Can't wait to dive in.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

aligreto

....because I know virtually nothing of Holst or his music [other than the obvious].

Ken B

On Bogey's recommendation Make Me, a Jack Reacher novel, by Lee Child.

Straightforward easy reading fun, which I appreciate after the last 2 weeks solid craziness at work.

Eli

NikF

The Garden of Eden: Ernest Hemingway.

[asin]0684804522[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Harvey_20

Brian

The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, by G.B. Edwards

Wow - loved this novel. Part of a genre I have fallen in love with this year, of novels spanning the entire lifespan of an ordinary person and their ordinary emotional ups and downs, made extraordinary by poetic narrative and empathetic author. Stoner by John Williams was another great one. Hoping the Ferrante series might be of similar quality.

Crudblud

Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Re-reading this one. A welcome relief to be back with my favourite author after enduring my first (and last) Tom Wolfe phonebook.

arpeggio

The Southern Reach Trilogy of Jess Vandermeer.  Kind of a hybrid fantasy scifi novel.

NikF

Going through the trilogy - Plexus by Henry Miller.

[asin]0141399120[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on October 10, 2016, 04:56:27 PM
The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, by G.B. Edwards

Wow - loved this novel. Part of a genre I have fallen in love with this year, of novels spanning the entire lifespan of an ordinary person and their ordinary emotional ups and downs, made extraordinary by poetic narrative and empathetic author. Stoner by John Williams was another great one. Hoping the Ferrante series might be of similar quality.

Sounds too interesting to pass up, have obtained the Kindle edition.  The last two books on my list have been historical novels describing horribly violent phases of human history. I'm hoping to find something gentler on frayed nerves.

Drasko

Iliad for the first time since high school, and I'm immensely enjoying it, far more than back then.

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on October 12, 2016, 09:16:10 AM
Sounds too interesting to pass up, have obtained the Kindle edition.  The last two books on my list have been historical novels describing horribly violent phases of human history. I'm hoping to find something gentler on frayed nerves.
Well, I should warn you, there is a Nazi occupation in there, and there are some truly heartbreaking moments, but nothing that's outright disturbing or super-violent or that kind of thing. It achieves a specific kind of beauty.

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2016, 06:16:12 AM
Well, I should warn you, there is a Nazi occupation in there, and there are some truly heartbreaking moments, but nothing that's outright disturbing or super-violent or that kind of thing. It achieves a specific kind of beauty.

That's fine. My current book, Paradise Alley, deals with the New York draft riots of 1863. The civil war battle scenes in the book are a relief, by contrast.

Parsifal

This may be a bit off topic, but to those who read ebooks may be interested in subscribing to bookbub. It is a service which sends you a daily email with a list of ebook bargains, typically 2 or 3 per day. You can put in favorite categories (literary fiction, historical fiction, etc) and you can also select authors you are interested in. Typically they notify you of books which have been discounted from more than $10 to $1.99 or $2.99.  The discounts are usually available on both Amazon.com and Apple iBook, I'm not sure if these discounts are specific to the U.S. market or if they are available globally.

Most days I'm not interested in the books they bring to my attention, but I have gotten a fair number of books by my favorite authors, or which sounded just intriguing, for a steep discount.

NikF

Taking a break from Henry Miller.

Doting by Henry Green -

"Satirizing the tedium of upper-middle-class life in post-war London, this novel depicts a world in which substance is far less important to anyone than appearance. The question asked throughout the text concerns the differences between doting and loving."

SimonNZ

NikF

Love by Stendhal -

[asin]014044307X[/asin]

Turbot nouveaux

Mrs Dalloway (Virginia Woolf)

This is my second attempt to read this quite experimental novel - in preparation I have read "The Voyage Out" and "Jacob's Room". My bookmark, a train ticket from 1994 marks my previous voyage like an abandoned base camp.