What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

I have a strange feeling that I may have said this before but I couldn't find anything when I searched: my excessive reading of Goethe has given me a perfect picture about where Wagner possibly gained influence to his prose style and stage directions and excessive use of superlatives. Of course, it is pretty obvious that such an important author and poet as Goethe was, would leave his mark to many, Wagner not being the only one.

It has been some time since I read Schiller. Is his writing style similar (which could imply that it was a common feature at the time in German literature)? Of course, he mainly wrote dramas, not much prose (IIRC).
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

NikF

Pleasure by Gabriele D'Annunzio.

[asin]0143106740[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Florestan

Quote from: NikF on January 25, 2017, 10:51:20 PM
Pleasure by Gabriele D'Annunzio.

[asin]0143106740[/asin]

How is it? Have you read The Flame of Life? I remember enjoying it a lot --- but then again I'm a huge fan of all novels set in Venice, my favoritest city on Earth.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

NikF

Quote from: Florestan on January 26, 2017, 10:55:18 AM
How is it? Have you read The Flame of Life? I remember enjoying it a lot --- but then again I'm a huge fan of all novels set in Venice, my favoritest city on Earth.  :)

I've only started it and so it's difficult to form a full impression. However I can say that while tame by current standards I can imagine it being considered hugely risque on publication.
No, I haven't read ' The Flame of Life', but I'll keep an eye open for it. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

Ever read the Donna Leon novels? People recommend them to me but I have never actually made the effort to read one.

NikF

Watership Down by Richard Adams.

[asin]0141354968[/asin]

Time for a reread of an old favourite. I was first prompted to read and borrow this by a librarian in the local public library, but not before she enquired if my hands were clean ("...both sides?") and had elicited a promise to tell her what I thought about it when I finished reading it. I was just a little kid and took her request so seriously. ;D

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on January 28, 2017, 07:46:29 AM

[asin]0141354968[/asin]

Time for a reread of an old favourite. I was first prompted to read and borrow this by a librarian in the local public library, but not before she enquired if my hands were clean ("...both sides?") and had elicited a promise to tell her what I thought about it when I finished reading it. I was just a little kid and took her request so seriously. ;D

A great read with dark and violent undertones.

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2017, 08:06:38 AM
A great read with dark and violent undertones.

Yeah, it is. And I was saying in another thread that only on the second time of reading did I become aware of the cool Joseph Campbell monomyth/Jung 'all stories are one story' stuff. Also, I liked the character of Hazel.

It's weird, because although books were important during my childhood the only other one I can really remember was 'The Black Cloud' - a science fiction novel by Fred Hoyle. You familiar with it?

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: NikF on January 28, 2017, 07:46:29 AM

[asin]0141354968[/asin]

Read that few months ago. The writing style reminded me much of Tolkien's.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on January 28, 2017, 08:22:22 AM
Yeah, it is. And I was saying in another thread that only on the second time of reading did I become aware of the cool Joseph Campbell monomyth/Jung 'all stories are one story' stuff. Also, I liked the character of Hazel.

It's weird, because although books were important during my childhood the only other one I can really remember was 'The Black Cloud' - a science fiction novel by Fred Hoyle. You familiar with it?

Agreed on the Hazel character - strong, yet vulnerable.
I do not know 'The Black Cloud'.

Drasko

And what are your favorite novels set in Venice?

NikF

Quote from: Alberich on January 28, 2017, 08:57:09 AM

I remember someone else saying the same thing. But I haven't read enough Tolkien to see if I agree. Still, it's an interesting comment. :)

HIPster

Quote from: NikF on January 28, 2017, 08:22:22 AM

Quote from: Alberich on January 28, 2017, 08:57:09 AM

Quote from: NikF on January 28, 2017, 07:34:45 PM
I remember someone else saying the same thing. But I haven't read enough Tolkien to see if I agree. Still, it's an interesting comment. :)

Appropriate to the discussion, perhaps; a remembrance of John Hurt:

https://theringer.com/john-hurt-obituary-994414174f79?source=collection_home---4------0----------

. . .he was nominated for an Oscar for his role as Max, a drug-addicted prisoner in Midnight Express, before providing his voice in the animated adaptations of two essential British works of fiction: Watership Down, as Hazel, and The Lord of the Rings, as Aragorn. His voice, a secret weapon if he had one, communicated erudition, suspicion, and playfulness all at once. When he spoke, it sounded like tobacco burning.

RIP John Hurt
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

NikF

Quote from: HIPster on January 28, 2017, 07:47:15 PM
Appropriate to the discussion, perhaps, a remembrance of John Hurt:

https://theringer.com/john-hurt-obituary-994414174f79?source=collection_home---4------0----------

. . .he was nominated for an Oscar for his role as Max, a drug-addicted prisoner in Midnight Express, before providing his voice in the animated adaptations of two essential British works of fiction: Watership Down, as Hazel, and The Lord of the Rings, as Aragorn. His voice, a secret weapon if he had one, communicated erudition, suspicion, and playfulness all at once. When he spoke, it sounded like tobacco burning.

RIP John Hurt

Good stuff. Thanks.

Jaakko Keskinen

One reason for why it reminds me of Tolkien is possibly because the person who translated Watership Down in finnish, Kersti Juva, is also renowned for her translations of Tolkien's books. She has also translated Dickens and A.A.Milne, for example.

- Victor Hugo

Drasko

Anton Chekhov - One act plays: The Road House, Swansong, The Bear, A Marriage Proposal, Tatiana Ryepina, A Tragedian in Spite of Himself, The Wedding, The Jubilee, On the Harmful Effects of Tobacco.

Jaakko Keskinen

My first Collins novel. Extremely fascinating so far.

- Victor Hugo

NikF

Quote from: Alberich on January 29, 2017, 08:55:30 AM

My first Collins novel. Extremely fascinating so far.

Cool. That's another on my 'to read' list. The only work of his that I've read is The Woman in White.
When you've finished reading The Moonstone let us know what you think? :)

Ken B

Quote from: NikF on January 29, 2017, 09:56:47 AM
Cool. That's another on my 'to read' list. The only work of his that I've read is The Woman in White.
When you've finished reading The Moonstone let us know what you think? :)
I readthose back to back in a day and a half when I was young and foolish.