What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2017, 02:45:41 AM
Mine, too. And Les travailleurs de la mer (Toilers of the Sea)

Still haven't read those two. :/ After I have read unabridged les Miserables, I think I'll  finally pick up Ninety-three. And considering Les miserables is one of the longest novels ever written, in its unabridged form, it may take a while. But it's Hugo so I think I'm gonna have a good time.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

NikF

Dancing on my Grave by Gelsey Kirkland.

A reread.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ludwigii

ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER
Essays and Aphorisms

INGO F.WALTHER
Picasso
Taschen

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Ken B

Quote from: Ken B on February 19, 2017, 11:12:31 AM
The Big Clock, by Kenneth Fearing

[asin] 1883011469[/asin]
Now onto Nightmare Alley by Gresham

Bogey

This is an excellent story.  Much better than the Roger Moore adaptation which I find unwatchable.  Other notable recent reads:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ken B

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2017, 05:50:56 AM
How was the Goodis, Bill?

You know, a lot of folks over at Good Reads at the pulp fiction group really enjoyed this one.  I found it slow, not much of a page turner, and overall, meh.  I really enjoyed his Night Patrol book, and this was suppose to be one of his best.  However the Stark (Westlake) was terrific....but you already knew that. ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

Might be of interest to several people here. Covers both his book and movie work, including unused posters and originals of art on which the publishers unleashed Daniele da Volterra.

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 26, 2017, 07:27:05 AM

Might be of interest to several people here. Covers both his book and movie work, including unused posters and originals of art on which the publishers unleashed Daniele da Volterra.

Absolutely.  I am guessing you are a Mitchell Hooks fan as well.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on February 26, 2017, 05:48:05 AM

This is an excellent story.  Much better than the Roger Moore adaptation which I find unwatchable.

Indeed, by then they had passed the point of no return from the goofiness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Jaws trying to fly by flapping his hands.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

I am not reading George Gershwin: His Life and Work by Howard Pollack, which is the book I want to finish.  (It is on a shelf somewhere at home, and I must hunt more diligently.)

So instead, I am reading an e-book edition of Ean Wood's George Gershwin: His Life & Music which is four or five clicks nearer a fanzine biography than I quite like, but, faute de mieux . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Reading Mark Twain's "Roughing it".

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Third time for Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler.

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on March 01, 2017, 10:23:57 AM
Third time for Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler.

I can see that.

SimonNZ

aligreto

ritter

Two short essays from this:

In Small Proust Commentaries (originally a radio broadcast), Adorno makes some insightful remarks on In Search of Lost Time (a work he had in high esteem and that features rather prominently in Minima Moralia). In Words from Afar, the author justifies and explains the use of foreign words in the Proust comentaries (as a reply to a listener's letter complaining exactly about that). Interesting in that it sheds some light into the author's approach to writing, and also that there are some (uncharacteristic) moments approaching humour. A pleasure to read, I must say...

North Star

Just ordered now, but posting in the non-Classical purchases thread didn't seem quite right either...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 12, 2017, 09:05:42 AM
Just ordered now, but posting in the non-Classical purchases thread didn't seem quite right either...

Lovely. :)

"Whatever rules you have adopted, abide by them as laws, and as if you would be impious to transgress them; and do not regard what any one says of you, for this, after all, is no concern of yours."

Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".