What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 12, 2017, 09:33:31 AM
Lovely. :)

"Whatever rules you have adopted, abide by them as laws, and as if you would be impious to transgress them; and do not regard what any one says of you, for this, after all, is no concern of yours."

Good stuff.
Yeah, your post in that other thread reminded me that I had yet to get a hard copy of this.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 12, 2017, 09:39:42 AM
Yeah, your post in that other thread reminded me that I had yet to get a hard copy of this.

Well, I certainly find it a nice thing to have a hard copy of for occasional dipping in to purposes. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Drasko

Cormac McCarthy - All the Pretty Horses

Florestan

Quote from: NikF on March 12, 2017, 09:33:31 AM
"Whatever rules you have adopted, abide by them as laws, and as if you would be impious to transgress them; and do not regard what any one says of you, for this, after all, is no concern of yours."

There was that guy who did exactly that and is alluded to in Godwin's Law. Just saying.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 15, 2017, 01:09:27 PM
There was that guy who did exactly that and is alluded to in Godwin's Law. Just saying.  ;D
I wasn't going to say anything, but ... yes. That quotation you criticize is one of the most idiotic imaginable. "Make up your mind then no matter what happens never change it."

NikF

Quote from: Florestan on March 15, 2017, 01:09:27 PM

That's his problem. Just sayin' that back at you.   ;)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: Ken B on March 15, 2017, 01:59:38 PM
I wasn't going to say anything, but ... yes. That quotation you criticize is one of the most idiotic imaginable. "Make up your mind then no matter what happens never change it."

That's not what I take from it at all. But you obviously do. Fair enough. :)

Parsifal

Listened to a discussion of the recently deceased poet Derek Walcott on NPR On Point. Found it very compelling, and am now reading a large compilation of his works.

SimonNZ

Bogey

Wanted to get to this before watching my film copy.  So far, Dorothy Hughes is fantastic with her descriptions.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jaakko Keskinen

Having finished today The Moonstone, I must say it was a very enjoyable book. The characters are not as quirky or memorable as Dickens's but it doesn't matter because the plot holds together remarkably well. Explaining of a certain laudanum incident in the novel caused almost unbearable tension which was resolved satisfyingly. Odd how it worked even though I predicted it. The ending was maybe a bit rushed, odd considering how slowly the narratives moved along generally, causing this to be relatively long novel for a detective story.

I'm a bit undecided whether this work has some pretty racist elements mixed in or whether the entire point of novel is to be anti-racist. It seemed a bit ambiguous, kind of like The Searchers. And that's how I like it best.

Edit: My next Collins novel will most likely be "No Name", which I've heard is ranked among his top four novels, like "The Moonstone". It may take some time however, before I get to it, focusing currently on Mark Twain.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

bhodges

Timothy Snyder: On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century (2017) - Hard not to think of this as one of the year's most essential books.

[asin]0804190119[/asin]

--Bruce

Ken B

A Bogey special,

[asin]1933586427[/asin]

Kill the Boss on Kindle 99 cents

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on April 02, 2017, 11:42:07 AM
A Bogey special,

[asin]1933586427[/asin]

Kill the Boss on Kindle 99 cents

Score!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

Alex Raymond - Rip Kirby vol.2 (1948-50)

kishnevi

Just ordered this

QuoteNearly a decade after its initial publication, Picasso: The Monograph 1881-1973 is back in print, updated and redesigned in a more user-friendly format. Poligrafa's brand new edition of this classic volume offers more than 1,200 newly scanned reproductions, spanning Picasso's entire career and illustrating his breathtaking range of artistic expression, including paintings, drawings, lithographs, ceramics and sculpture. Elegantly translated from the original French, the monograph weaves biographical details with thorough elucidations of the artist's work into a concise and seamless narrative. All three contributors are highly regarded in Picasso scholarship: Brigitte Léal and Marie-Laure Bernadac, both former curators of the Musée Picasso in Paris, are now respectively curators of the Centre Pompidou and the Louvre Museum, while Christine Piot co-authored the catalogue raisonné of Picasso's sculpture. Leal covers Picasso's formative years through 1916, including his co-invention of Cubism with Georges Braque. Piot focuses on the artist's glory years from 1917 through 1952, and Bernadac discusses the vigor of Picasso's later years, from 1953 until his death in 1973. With clearly organized visual sources, acknowledgements of leading art historians' interpretations and quotes from Picasso's contemporaries, this book remains unsurpassed as the definitive Picasso monograph for students and art lovers alike.

I am finding that my interest in visual arts such as painting, sculpture, and photography, is growing as I get older.

aligreto

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 06, 2017, 06:46:06 PM
Just ordered this

I am finding that my interest in visual arts such as painting, sculpture, and photography, is growing as I get older.

Interestingly, having thought about that statement I must confess to having found the exact opposite personally. I must endeavour to re-kindle those interests.

SimonNZ

and now wanting to get the full "History of the United States of America During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison" from which this stand-alone section is taken I learn for the first time that its been done in two Library of America volumes:

Parsifal

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 13, 2017, 02:55:10 PMand now wanting to get the full "History of the United States of America During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison" from which this stand-alone section is taken I learn for the first time that its been done in two Library of America volumes:

I read both of those volumes many years ago, fascinating.

kishnevi

Quote from: Scarpia on April 13, 2017, 03:27:42 PM
I read both of those volumes many years ago, fascinating.

I have those LoA volumes, and have read them more than once.