What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on June 27, 2017, 09:05:54 AM
10...embarrassing. I need to get some reading done!
Especially if those 10 don't include all the Hammett.

TD Huck Finn. Or having it read; I got an audible edition for $2 from Amazon. It's been 40 years since I read this.

Parsifal

Quote from: arpeggio on June 25, 2017, 05:48:05 PM
Reading an old classic: Lord Jim.

Great book. Victory is another book by Conrad which I love, but which doesn't seem to get as much mention as some of his other works.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on June 27, 2017, 10:21:34 AM
Especially if those 10 don't include all the Hammett.

TD Huck Finn. Or having it read; I got an audible edition for $2 from Amazon. It's been 40 years since I read this.
Zowie!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 27, 2017, 10:46:50 AM
Zowie!

Yeah. The trick is to buy a free Kindle copy of Huck Finn, and add narration for $2.
I have Barchester Towers too, which was $3.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on June 27, 2017, 11:33:57 AM
Yeah. The trick is to buy a free Kindle copy of Huck Finn, and add narration for $2.

Is the narrator good?

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Jo498

I never really got into Joseph Conrad. Even more than in Faulkner's case I am disappointed with myself. Because I *should* like such sea and adventure stories.
I read "The secret agent", another one with anarchists (probably "Under Western Eyes") and "Typhoon" but was not really gripped by any of them, except maybe the first one but this was also considerably less exciting than I had expected. I tried "Heart of Darkness"  at least twice but got stuck before/around the middle, with "Lord Jim" I got stuck even closer to the beginning. Maybe I should try again (it has been 10-20 years since I read most of them).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SimonNZ

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on June 25, 2017, 11:35:16 AM
Bogey alert.

http://www.listchallenges.com/pulp-fiction-the-best-noir-novels

Love it, Ken!  However, no Peter Rabe! (My man!)  No W. R. Burnett!  Where is Dorothy Hughes? I guess if I made a list, I would choose one novel from each author.   At least they snuck in Westlake (Stark). 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on June 28, 2017, 05:29:06 AM
Love it, Ken!  However, no Peter Rabe! (My man!)  No W. R. Burnett!  Where is Dorothy Hughes? I guess if I made a list, I would choose one novel from each author.   At least they snuck in Westlake (Stark).
I agree we could do better.  ;) There are some gaps and some authors over represented, but it's a good list overall.

But what's your score Bill?

Brian

Quote from: Bogey on June 28, 2017, 05:29:06 AM
Dorothy Hughes is incredible. Has rapidly become one of my favorites; In a Lonely Place is really, really good and Expendable Man is arguably even better. I need to read more of her stuff.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on June 28, 2017, 07:46:11 AM
Dorothy Hughes is incredible. Has rapidly become one of my favorites; In a Lonely Place is really, really good and Expendable Man is arguably even better. I need to read more of her stuff.
Place is very different from the movie! I think the library has Expendable ....

Jaakko Keskinen

Gilded age has been great so far, although I find it a bit repetitive the way it is constantly built up that now the protagonists are finally going to sell their land, each time for greater and greater sum - and they always turn it down, sometimes so abruptly it seems a mere necessity. I get that it is supposed to show the way greed takes over men and in order to not solve a major plot point too quickly but it could have been written much more naturally. It was effective enough the first time, no need to be a broken record about it.

On the plus side, there is much brilliant satire in the book. The character of Beriah Sellers is very similar in personality to Mr. Micawber from Dickens's David Copperfield. It seems he re-used the character in "The American Claimant", although this time as Mulberry Sellers, having received objections from actual person named Beriah Sellers.

Laura is a very successfully written woman character, being witty and clever.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

Quote from: Ken B on June 28, 2017, 06:32:59 AM
I agree we could do better.  ;) There are some gaps and some authors over represented, but it's a good list overall.

But what's your score Bill?

Only hit 11. Some of the authors I have read, but not the books listed. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on June 28, 2017, 08:12:40 AM
Place is very different from the movie! I think the library has Expendable ....
Yep, read the book and was very surprised to say the least when I saw the movie!

Do as little research about Expendable Man as possible. There is a plot reveal about 50 pages in which still has the capacity to surprise readers!

NikF

The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen.

[asin]1906998337[/asin]

I usually have two books on the go at any one time. This is what I'm currently reading during the interval at a concert or ballet or while waiting for a bus and also at the gym when the benches are all being monopolized by a bunch of special snowflake dicks.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

kishnevi

The Dain Curse. About two thirds through at the moment.  I have to say that the section set in the Temple is so weird it sounds like it might be parody of some pulp  fiction tropes.

The only other Hammett I've ever read is The Thin Man.  I have to admit I prefer the Thin Man...

After this,  a Chandler multiplex that includes The Big Sleep and Farewell My Lovely.  Heretofore, my acquaintance with Chandler has been solely through the medium of Bogart.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 03, 2017, 08:31:35 AM
The Dain Curse. About two thirds through at the moment.  I have to say that the section set in the Temple is so weird it sounds like it might be parody of some pulp  fiction tropes.

The only other Hammett I've ever read is The Thin Man.  I have to admit I prefer the Thin Man...

After this,  a Chandler multiplex that includes The Big Sleep and Farewell My Lovely.  Heretofore, my acquaintance with Chandler has been solely through the medium of Bogart.

Dain is by far his weakest book. Try Red Harvest to see the Op in best form.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on July 03, 2017, 08:41:51 AM
Dain is by far his weakest book. Try Red Harvest to see the Op in best form.

Well, considering the only three dimensional character just got thrown over the side of a cliff (it's a crime novel, so I'm guessing it was no accident)....

bwv 1080