What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: Draško on June 15, 2017, 04:44:14 AM

My first venture into several Wodehouse worlds which I haven't explored this far: Blandings, golf, Mr.Mulliner and Ukridge.

Ukridge stories I didn't like at all, Mr.Mulliner and Drones Club ones so-so, Blandings is represented by one longer story 'Crime wave at Blandings' which is very good, but the ones I liked the most, somewhat unexpectedly, are the golf stories. I know next to nothing about the game of golf but it didn't matter. Wodehouse obviously had great affection for the game and it shows.

Now moving onto:

I've seen the movie Talented Mr.Ripley (both versions) but haven't read any of the books.

Ghost Sonata

Surprisingly readable and rewarding, so far :

[asin]0801499607[/asin]
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

kishnevi

Bought today at Barnes and Noble. Their own edition, not this one

The preface says that Wister started on a music career, studying piano and composition in Europe after Liszt told his family Wister had the necessary talent.

Jo498

Quote from: Draško on July 06, 2017, 02:15:54 PM
Ukridge stories I didn't like at all, Mr.Mulliner and Drones Club ones so-so, Blandings is represented by one longer story 'Crime wave at Blandings' which is very good, but the ones I liked the most, somewhat unexpectedly, are the golf stories. I know next to nothing about the game of golf but it didn't matter. Wodehouse obviously had great affection for the game and it shows.

Now moving onto:

I've seen the movie Talented Mr.Ripley (both versions) but haven't read any of the books.
But you have to start with the first one, not one of the last ones!

I am not sure I have read any Ukridge story. Of the Wodehouse I read I think the Jeeves and Wooster series (I have read all) are the best by some margin (except a few late ones). The main reason for this is Bertie as narrator; most of the other stuff seems far more conventionally narrated (Although they are also superlative as far as characters go, only Lord Emsworth himself is as good as a whole bunch of the Jeeves/Wooster supporting cast.) Of the Blandings (I read most of them) some are almost as good (even the very first one where Lord Emsworth is quite different from the later character is surprisingly good) but the later ones are considerably weaker (I quite dislike his "aged rake" characters like Galahad and Uncle Fred). I have read a few more standalones and short stories and they are generally weaker, I think.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SimonNZ

Quote from: Draško on July 06, 2017, 02:15:54 PM

Two movies? Investigating this I see there's a version called Plein Soleil with Alain Delon from 1960. You've seen this? If so, what's it like?

Which reminds me: there's a 2005 film of Ripley Under Ground which has still not made it out my way in any format.

Drasko

Quote from: Jo498 on July 06, 2017, 11:48:03 PM
But you have to start with the first one, not one of the last ones!

Ripley Under Ground is only the second one, right after The Talented Mr.Ripley, which I thought to skip on account of already seeing the movie.

QuoteI am not sure I have read any Ukridge story.

He is this rather annoying schemer whose only preoccupation is how to swindle some money, mostly from his rich aunt. Tiresome.

Drasko

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 07, 2017, 03:03:10 AM
Two movies? Investigating this I see there's a version called Plein Soleil with Alain Delon from 1960. You've seen this? If so, what's it like?

It's leaner and tauter than more baroque and lavish Minghella film. It's a decent film, worth seeing on its own but I don't prefer it to the Minghella one. I find it bit hard to buy Delon with his looks and charisma as someone who needs to scheme, con, assume others identities in order to succeed in life. 

Jo498

I still think it is better to start with the first novel despite the movies (in my recollection it is the best one although the others are all pretty good while mainly repeating very similar plots/tropes but it's been almost 20 years that I read them)

I don't think I ever saw the movie with Delon; I did not like the newish one very much and it has considerable changes vs. the book.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

NikF

La Placa del Diamant/In Diamond Square by Merce Rodoreda.

[asin]1844087379[/asin]

The weather has picked up, although I'm not sure how long for. But while the going is good I'm off to the park with a book.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on July 08, 2017, 12:30:22 AM
La Placa del Diamant/In Diamond Square by Merce Rodoreda.

[asin]1844087379[/asin]

The weather has picked up, although I'm not sure how long for. But while the going is good I'm off to the park with a book.

It is Wimbledon fortnight after all  ;D

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on July 08, 2017, 02:17:38 AM
It is Wimbledon fortnight after all  ;D

I forgot about that. But you're right. ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

nodogen

Comrade Corbyn
by Rosa Prince.

When I bought this book not long ago I thought I'd be reading about someone who was about to have his political career terminated.

"A week's a long time in politics."

Jaakko Keskinen

Reading Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

I think this is my first time reading Thomas Mann. The satire in the opening chapter is absolutely hilarious.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

André

Big Mann fan, but I never read that one ! Must locate a copy. Thanks for the tip !

Jo498

It is comparably short and light.
It was something like a "bridal gift" to Katia. The millionaire's daughter shares some features with her, among others she is also a student of maths and there is an  brilliant description how algebra lecture notes look to someone who has absolutely no clue about what they are supposed to be.
- Blaise Pascal

milk

Jaakko Keskinen

Having finished Julius Caesar, now reading King John.

- Victor Hugo

Todd

Istanbul: City of Majesty at the Crossroads of the World, by Thomas Madden.  A short/medium length history of Istanbul (358 text pages), Madden's book zooms right through the ancient city's historical highpoints with just enough depth and a quick reading style.  Reading it, I have once again resolved to read more on the ancient eastern empires, and maybe this time the resolve will amount to something.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

For the Byzantines, Gibbon is still the best read. Norwich's three decker about the Byzantine Empire is possibly the best modern one, but not quite as good as his history of Venice. (He did a one volume history of Byzantium, but I haven't read that: I assumed it was an abridgement of the three volume work.). His one flaw is that he loves his subjects too much.

I remember reading Lord Kinross's history of the Ottomans and thinking it good, but there are alternatives there I don't remember reading.

Speaking of Norwich, I am reading this at the moment.