What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: NikF on August 28, 2017, 02:21:55 PM
So what would you recommend reading by Cocteau? :)
That's actually a good question, NikF. Cocteau was someone who did many things in the arts (poetry, drama, novels, films, libretti, painting) in a rather dilettantish way, and one would be hard-pressed to come up with a work that really stands out or could be called a "masterpiece" (whatever that may be). His constant striving to promote himself, and to make his work palatable to the beau monde, often gives his output a patina of superficiality which masks what I think deep-down is an original and interesting voice.

I think Les Enfants terribles (The Holy Terrors), his short novel from 1929, would be a good starting point, and some of his plays based on classical themes (Antigone, La machine infernale) are quite accomplished. I also remember enjoying Maalesh: A Theatrical Tour of the Middle East, his journal of a tour in 1949 to Egypt and Turkey, where the chaos of everyday theatrical life is vividly depicted (in an appropriately exotic setting).

Then, there's Le Coq et l'Arlequin, important as a manifesto of musical aesthetics in France in the 20s (he being the "godfather" of Les Six). I really don't share almost any of his tenets there, but it does make for interesting reading.

Not something you can read of course, but I must correct myself: if anything of Cocteau's can be dubbed a "masterpiece", I'd say it's his film Beauty and the Beast. One of the most beautiful motion pictures I've ever seen.  :)

pjme

What a great story! A real page turner. Drama, melodrama, love & hate, misery - good stuff.

P.

My copy.

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on August 28, 2017, 11:47:48 PM
Not something you can read of course, but I must correct myself: if anything of Cocteau's can be dubbed a "masterpiece", I'd say it's his film Beauty and the Beast. One of the most beautiful motion pictures I've ever seen.  :)

Thanks for the reminder;  I really need to watch this . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:

Just finished Guy Rickard's Hindemith, Hartmann and Henze (Oh, My!)

I was rather hoping that this would (in line with similar reading about this or that composer in the past) quicken more of a sympathy with Henze.  The absorbing reading about Hindemith and Hartmann I entirely counted on;  and on the whole, the intertwined, chronological narrative I found very well advised.  Perhaps the problem (for me) is simply, that Henze was determined to politicize art (a requiem to honor Che, for out loud crying);  this is, sadly, in line with a like problem in our day, the determination to favor (and support) art which is "socially relevant."

A kind of Eugenics in Art, it feels like.

As a result, and given the structure of the book, the last 50-ish pages were rather a chore.

I suppose I'll try to read it again, five years hence perhaps.  The tough break for Henze is, the book has whetted my appetite for Hindemith and Hartmann, but quite firmly put me off any short-term interest in Henze.  In fact, it rather has me feeling that the Henze in my library at present, is probably as much as I shall ever need.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: pjme on August 29, 2017, 12:24:19 AM

What a great story! A real page turner. Drama, melodrama, love & hate, misery - good stuff.

P.

My copy.

Never read Zola yet, although I do know his open letter J'accuse...! And I mean "know it" in the way of "know the background of it, never actually read it".
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ritter

Quote from: Alberich on August 29, 2017, 05:22:30 AM
Never read Zola yet, although I do know his open letter J'accuse...! And I mean "know it" in the way of "know the background of it, never actually read it".
Exactly my situation...strangely, I don't really feel attracted by his work. My loss, for sure...

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 29, 2017, 03:48:57 AM
Thread Duty:

I was rather hoping that this would (in line with similar reading about this or that composer in the past) quicken more of a sympathy with Henze.  The absorbing reading about Hindemith and Hartmann I entirely counted on;  and on the whole, the intertwined, chronological narrative I found very well advised.  Perhaps the problem (for me) is simply, that Henze was determined to politicize art (a requiem to honor Che, for out loud crying);  this is, sadly, in line with a like problem in our day, the determination to favor (and support) art which is "socially relevant."

As a result, and given the structure of the book, the last 50-ish pages were rather a chore.

I suppose I'll try to read it again, five years hence perhaps.  The tough break for Henze is, the book has whetted my appetite for Hindemith and Hartmann, but quite firmly put me off any short-term interest in Henze.  In fact, it rather has me feeling that the Henze in my library at present, is probably as much as I shall ever need.

Nice phrase, eugenics in art. Conveys the idea pithily.

Karl Henning

Wow: $57.14 for the Kindle edition?

[asin]0810858770[/asin]

I feel really happy about having found a good copy for $15 . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 29, 2017, 03:48:57 AM
Thread Duty:

I suppose I'll try to read it again, five years hence perhaps.  The tough break for Henze is, the book has whetted my appetite for Hindemith and Hartmann, but quite firmly put me off any short-term interest in HenzeIn fact, it rather has me feeling that the Henze in my library at present, is probably as much as I shall ever need.
As long as Royal Winter Music is in there.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on August 29, 2017, 09:55:23 AM
As long as Royal Winter Music is in there.

It is not, yet.  And it may be a while before I feel I really want to address that  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spineur

Quote from: ritter on August 29, 2017, 06:00:41 AM
Exactly my situation...strangely, I don't really feel attracted by his work. My loss, for sure...
I have read a number of Zola's books.  He started the realist style that inspired the Italian post-war cinema (Victorio de Sica,...)
A very strong book is Thérèse Raquin.  It has been adapted to the cinema by Marcel Carné with Simone Signoret as Thérèse Raquin.
IMHO both book and movie are worth it.

Another classic adaptation of Zola is La bete Humaine by Jean Renoir with Jean Gabin.  In spite of the cinematography and the great actors, I always felt Zola's story was dated.

Spineur

I am re-reading a french classic

Although Stendhal left the book unfinished, it is the best novel he wrote, better than La chartreuse de Parme or le rouge et le noir.
I would recommend a detailed edition with the different endings that Stendhal sketched.  La Pleiade has it.

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on August 29, 2017, 10:22:35 AM
I am re-reading a french classic

Although Stendhal left the book unfinished, it is the best novel he wrote, better than La chartreuse de Parme or le rouge et le noir.

That's quite a bold statement! Having read both LCDP and LRELN, I dare doubt it!  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spineur

Quote from: Florestan on August 29, 2017, 10:26:22 AM
That's quite a bold statement! Having read both LCDP and LRELN, I dare doubt it!  ;D
Try it: 700 pages of pure happiness.

Here is a critique "Lucky Lucien" in english everybody can read

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v08/n03/stephen-vizinczey/lucky-lucien

NikF

Quote from: ritter on August 28, 2017, 11:47:48 PM
That's actually a good question, NikF. Cocteau was someone who did many things in the arts (poetry, drama, novels, films, libretti, painting) in a rather dilettantish way, and one would be hard-pressed to come up with a work that really stands out or could be called a "masterpiece" (whatever that may be). His constant striving to promote himself, and to make his work palatable to the beau monde, often gives his output a patina of superficiality which masks what I think deep-down is an original and interesting voice.

I think Les Enfants terribles (The Holy Terrors), his short novel from 1929, would be a good starting point, and some of his plays based on classical themes (Antigone, La machine infernale) are quite accomplished. I also remember enjoying Maalesh: A Theatrical Tour of the Middle East, his journal of a tour in 1949 to Egypt and Turkey, where the chaos of everyday theatrical life is vividly depicted (in an appropriately exotic setting).

Then, there's Le Coq et l'Arlequin, important as a manifesto of musical aesthetics in France in the 20s (he being the "godfather" of Les Six). I really don't share almost any of his tenets there, but it does make for interesting reading.

Yeah, La Belle et la Bête is indeed a thing of beauty. I'm really only familiar with his film work (and to a lesser extent, ballet) but what an output throughout his career. And the circles he moved in, both professionally and socially - how rich!

Those are thoughtful insights and a fine list of suggestions. I'll look into them.
I appreciate it you taking the time to put it together. Thanks.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ritter

Quote from: NikF on August 29, 2017, 11:48:45 AM
Those are thoughtful insights and a fine list of suggestions. I'll look into them.
I appreciate it you taking the time to put it together. Thanks.
 votre service, cher ami :).

Quote from: Spineur on August 29, 2017, 10:05:55 AM
I have read a number of Zola's books.  He started the realist style that inspired the Italian post-war cinema (Victorio de Sica,...)
A very strong book is Thérèse Raquin.  It has been adapted to the cinema by Marcel Carné with Simone Signoret as Thérèse Raquin.
IMHO both book and movie are worth it.

Another classic adaptation of Zola is La bete Humaine by Jean Renoir with Jean Gabin.  In spite of the cinematography and the great actors, I always felt Zola's story was dated.
Many thanks for that, Spineur. I might approach Zola through films (I don't know either of the ones you mentioned) and then perhaps aller à la source  :).

Regards,

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on August 29, 2017, 11:57:34 PM
I will, thanks for the recommendation.

Let me know! You can be the canary in the mine!

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on August 30, 2017, 04:58:05 AM
Let me know! You can be the canary in the mine!

It won't be very soon, so please be patient.  :)

Karl Henning

Why the canary in the yours, buddy?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA