What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on April 08, 2018, 05:26:18 AM
Picking off about one a year. Moonraker was fantastic and makes me scratch my head of why the movie was the way it was.

Well might you scratch!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:  Started this the other day, good fun.

[asin]1629331937[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spineur

First novel by Kenzaburo Oé (Nobel)

Crisp laconic style very different from his latter style full of humanity.  I find Oé way of writing stunning.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on April 07, 2018, 03:32:33 PM
An excellent book. Even better is his In The Shadow of the Sword

I've got that on the pile to read shortly after. Have you read his book on the Ceasar Dynasty?

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 08, 2018, 05:56:23 PM
I've got that on the pile to read shortly after. Have you read his book on the Ceasar Dynasty?

It is one of several books I have on the go at the moment. So far, good but not up to his others.

Crudblud

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 31, 2018, 05:40:01 AM
Unfortunate, but in this imperfect world, unavoidable, I fear.
Well, at least he isn't dressed in his Zardoz gear.

bwv 1080

Finished my reread of Gravity's Rainbow, and what stood out is how much stranger and  barely comprehensible it is compared to Pynchon's later work like Against the Day, Mason & Dixon or Vineland (but still entertaining)

now another reread but something a little more sober

MN Dave

The Darkest Part of the Woods - Ramsey Campbell
CIRSOVA magazine, issue one.
And a bio on Ernic Kovacs.
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Artem

Spineur

Quote from: bwv 1080 on April 16, 2018, 08:46:41 AM

now another reread but something a little more sober

A very good book, as most Sebald works.  On this topic I am reading this book on exiled composer.

An annecdote from this book: Giovanni Baptista Lulli was abducted in Rome for la Duchesse de Montpensier who wanted a young italian to teach her the language.  You know the next part of the story.

Draško

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

aligreto

SimonNZ

Very poorly written. I'm about a third of the way in and already amazed that someone can make an insiders story of flipping mob wiseguys so dull. I doubt I'll make it to the Trump parts unless I jump ahead.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 23, 2018, 04:14:39 PM

Very poorly written. I'm about a third of the way in and already amazed that someone can make an insiders story of flipping mob wiseguys so dull. I doubt I'll make it to the Trump parts unless I jump ahead.

Well, he's a cop, not a writer. Good evidence that he actually wrote it, that it was not ghost-written (attributed or not).

MN Dave

Quote from: MN Dave on April 16, 2018, 05:29:54 PM
The Darkest Part of the Woods - Ramsey Campbell
CIRSOVA magazine, issue one.
And a bio on Ernic Kovacs.
The Bones of Avalon by Phil Rickman (great!)
The Black Company by Glen Cook
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

NikF

I don't know anything about this but thought I'd give it a try.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

Quote from: NikF on April 30, 2018, 08:32:06 PM
I don't know anything about this but thought I'd give it a try.

I have not read that but Trollope is a favorite. The Way We Live Now or The Warden are the usual first Trollope.

SimonNZ

The Way We Live Now is a book I keep meaning to get to. Would you rate it as one of his best?

TD:

One of the few Geoff Dyer books I hadn't read. Short and fast, but with his trademark freewheeling intelligence and unexpected digressions and connections.

Crudblud

Trying to get into the habit of writing more about what I read. I posted some thoughts on my blog about Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, which I finished reading about a week ago.