What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

The gym I've started to use has less benches than my old gym. While only a minor issue it does mean there can be extended periods of waiting for one to become available. So I've been taking a book along.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

Quote from: NikF on June 15, 2018, 01:48:40 AM

The gym I've started to use has less benches than my old gym. While only a minor issue it does mean there can be extended periods of waiting for one to become available. So I've been taking a book along.

Book as bait? 

;) :laugh:

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on June 15, 2018, 01:44:26 AM
And how are you finding it?  :)

Slow to start but I like the characterization.
Did you enjoy Lost Illusions?

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on June 15, 2018, 08:50:52 AM
Slow to start but I like the characterization.
Did you enjoy Lost Illusions?

Good. I do enjoy it if characters are well written or shaded to offer depth. Hope the pace picks up for you. :)

Yes, I'm enjoying it so far. But I had to pause in my reading because - and I'm going to be blunt here - I needed a book for taking to the gym, and because I like to run there/back something smaller in size than Lost Illusions was required.  ;D

Also -

Quote from: Ken B on June 15, 2018, 03:43:21 AM
Book as bait? 

;) :laugh:

Scurrilous, tabloid worthy rumour. My innocence in such matters remains lily-white.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on June 15, 2018, 09:23:07 AM
Good. I do enjoy it if characters are well written or shaded to offer depth. Hope the pace picks up for you. :)

Yes, I'm enjoying it so far. But I had to pause in my reading because - and I'm going to be blunt here - I needed a book for taking to the gym, and because I like to run there/back something smaller in size than Lost Illusions was required.  ;D

Perhaps you could use it as part of you weight lifting regime  ;D

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on June 15, 2018, 09:26:21 AM
Perhaps you could use it as part of you weight lifting regime  ;D

As it is my year on slow reduction in strength is enough of a different kind of Lost Illusion to deal with.  ;D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Nick might find "Penis Reduction Surgery For Beginners" useful.

Draško

In former Yugoslavia we all pretty much grew up on Italian comics in the 70s and 80s, and I still have the soft spot for them today, despite their quality.

Florestan

Quote from: Draško on June 15, 2018, 12:19:19 PM

In former Yugoslavia we all pretty much grew up on Italian comics in the 70s and 80s, and I still have the soft spot for them today, despite their quality.

protiv svakog pravila = against [...] law?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Draško

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2018, 12:30:44 PM
protiv svakog pravila = against [...] law?

Against every rule  :D Law would be zakon

Florestan

NikF

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Finished (whew!) 1,000 well-packed excellently written pages on one of my favorite figures in American history. More sympathetic to the subject than many other biographies while still acknowledging his various frustrating limitations, mostly the result of putting guileless trust in the duplicitous surrounding him. Brilliant at background detail and context.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 23, 2018, 02:51:19 AM

Finished (whew!) 1,000 well-packed excellently written pages on one of my favorite figures in American history. More sympathetic to the subject than many other biographies while still acknowledging his various frustrating limitations, mostly the result of putting guileless trust in the duplicitous surrounding him. Brilliant at background detail and context.

I like Chernow, but have read two other Grant bios in the last few years, so am going to have to wait for a while before I read this one. I love how he has been regenerated, however. He really is one of the true American heroes of the 19th century.

TD:
  [asin]B00L744ZRW[/asin]

It seems a lot of people dislike this because it has not plot or action.  I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
It's all good...

TheGSMoeller

Author, humorist, essayist David Sedaris' new book, Calypso. A gift for my birthday from my wife, one of our first dates was seeing Sedaris speak live in Richmond, VA. Calypso also has my vote for book cover of the year (so far).

https://www.amazon.com/Calypso-David-Sedaris/dp/0316392383/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529765455&sr=8-1&keywords=david+sedaris

Jaakko Keskinen

Finished Silmarillion (again) and now turning to The Book of Lost Tales. Also reading Little Dorrit every now and then.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo