What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Jo498 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jaakko Keskinen

I have never read Cervantes yet, nor Spanish literature in general either. The closest I have ever got to reading Spanish literature is when I read Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist", which is a portuguese-language novel, and Portugal geographically is close to Spain. And btw, I bloody hated that book! Also tries to take fame away from Ben Jonson's masterpiece of a play "The Alchemist" so that annoys me as well.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on July 02, 2018, 10:05:10 AM
I have never read Cervantes yet, nor Spanish literature in general either. The closest I have ever got to reading Spanish literature is when I read Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist", which is a portuguese-language novel, and Portugal geographically is close to Spain.

But Brazil, where Coelho actually is from, is not.  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Florestan on July 02, 2018, 11:31:18 PM
But Brazil, where Coelho actually is from, is not.  :laugh:

I am well aware of that. ;) FWIW, portuguese and spanish are sister languages.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bwv 1080

Who wants to listen to virtuous music anyway?

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on July 03, 2018, 10:17:08 AM
What a prat.

I wouldn't know, WaPo doesn't let me judge for myself without paying them.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2018, 11:00:17 AM
I wouldn't know, WaPo doesn't let me judge for myself without paying them.  ;D

Pffft. You can take my word for it. I am reliable on prats. Also on twats, wankers, burks, pecksniffs, pillocks, flopdoodles, and pinheads.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on July 03, 2018, 11:57:29 AM
I am reliable on prats. Also on twats, wankers, burks, pecksniffs, pillocks, flopdoodles, and pinheads.

I certainly doubt not your expertise. And thank you for expanding my English vocabulary.

Ken B

Another surprisingly unfunny book is The Divine Comedy.

Mahlerian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2018, 09:07:40 AM
It's a cruel world. Here's why being a virtuous music listener feels harder than ever.

It's funny that when he's talking about separating the art from the artist, most of what he discusses is commercial product (buying CDs, paying through streaming revenue) rather than art.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

ritter

Starting tonight with what is widely considered one of the greatest novels written in Spanish in the 20th century:

José Lezama Lima's Paradiso had a long gestation (over 30 years), and once it was published in 1966, it was heavily attacked by the official critics in its author's native Cuba—with few exceptions, notably Alejo Carpentier—, due to its exuberant and hermetic style, and explicit eroticism (partly homoerotic). Abroad, Julio Cortázar and Octavio Paz championed the work, and a revised edition in Mexico in 1968 launched its international career.

Its 600+ pages of ultra-baroque prose (one reviewer says it's so baroque he couldn't figure out what it was actually about  ;D) apparently mix "normal" narrative with essay-like sections and poetry, and appear quite daunting. But I look forward to them...

NikF

For reading today while at the gym, between sets and perhaps even reps.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

ritter

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 05, 2018, 11:24:19 PM

Quote from: ritter on October 14, 2016, 01:36:00 AM
Transcript of the deliberations of the Nobel prize committee:

- Let's give the prize to Haruki Miru...Huraki...
- It's Hikaru Makirumi
- Hariku Mukirami?
- Haiku...
- To hell with it, let Bob Dylan have it...

;D

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on July 10, 2018, 04:42:09 AM
And good to know that you love the calvinist Daniel Defoe too.  :D https://www.christianforums.com/threads/robinson-crusoe-a-calvinist-tract.676850

I like Defoe as a writer. I had no idea he was a Calvinist (just how Robinson Crusoe can be interpreted as Calvinist propaganda is beyond me), but hey nobody's perfect, not even a great writer.  ;D

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on July 12, 2018, 12:50:00 PM
I like Defoe as a writer. I had no idea he was a Calvinist (just how Robinson Crusoe can be interpreted as Calvinist propaganda is beyond me), but hey nobody's perfect, not even a great writer.  ;D
He couldn't help it, it was predestined.

Florestan