What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Reading Ben Jonson's "The Alchemist".
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

a history of Eritrea through the twentieth century

Jaakko Keskinen

Fitzgerald's Tales of the Jazz Age, the short story "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz".
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Daverz

I don't read much fiction these days.  These detective novels are set in the pre-war Third Reich.

[asin] B006LFO1DA[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on July 22, 2018, 09:56:20 PM
I don't read much fiction these days.  These detective novels are set in the pre-war Third Reich.

[asin] B006LFO1DA[/asin]

I've wanted to read those for some time. Like the TV series Babylon Berlin I like detective stories set in that time.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

An old favourite, in this very classical format:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

Quote from: Daverz on July 22, 2018, 09:56:20 PM

[asin] B006LFO1DA[/asin]

Excellent, all three of them. Kerr has supplied spin-offs set in German-occupied Prague, Nazi-infested Argentina under Perón, pre-Castro Cuba, etc. Like the proverbial cat, Bernie Gunther has many lives !

Draško

Picked up a random volume of Giacomo Casanova's memoirs (Histoire de ma vie), just to see whether it's readable and worth spending the time, the whole thing is rather long.

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2018, 12:50:02 AM
I've wanted to read those for some time. Like the TV series Babylon Berlin I like detective stories set in that time.

Slightly a mixed bag, but I enjoyed them. The later ones I read were not as good as these three IMO.

vandermolen

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles which I'm enjoying greatly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Kazuo Ishiguro: The Unconsoled

I am about one third of the way through this book and I have no idea what is really going on here. I find it disconcerting. Other than very well stage managed choreography within the linear plot and credible characters, if a somewhat incredible storyline, the basic premise eludes me or has yet to be revealed later. I hope that it is the latter.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on July 23, 2018, 01:49:40 PM
Slightly a mixed bag, but I enjoyed them. The later ones I read were not as good as these three IMO.

Thank you Ken.

Draško

Quote from: aligreto on July 24, 2018, 08:06:47 AM
Kazuo Ishiguro: The Unconsoled

I am about one third of the way through this book and I have no idea what is really going on here. I find it disconcerting. Other than very well stage managed choreography within the linear plot and credible characters, if a somewhat incredible storyline, the basic premise eludes me or has yet to be revealed later. I hope that it is the latter.

No, it won't get any clearer or more linear by the end.  >:D

I absolutely loved the novel. One of my very favorite contemporary pieces.

I understood it / read it as four parts being four dreams over four nights of a concert pianist on a tour in some random city, where his everyday experiences of travel, hotels, practicing, anxiety about the concerts get mixed and jumbled with his memories of his life, family, his youth, his fears and frustrations and all in this dream logic where everything is familiar but not quite, where one can enter a broom closet and exit miles away, where nothing resolves and multiple characters can represent the same person, but in some strange way it all makes sense. It did to me at the time, at least.   

aligreto

Quote from: Draško on July 24, 2018, 03:12:58 PM
No, it won't get any clearer or more linear by the end.  >:D

I absolutely loved the novel. One of my very favorite contemporary pieces.

I understood it / read it as four parts being four dreams over four nights of a concert pianist on a tour in some random city, where his everyday experiences of travel, hotels, practicing, anxiety about the concerts get mixed and jumbled with his memories of his life, family, his youth, his fears and frustrations and all in this dream logic where everything is familiar but not quite, where one can enter a broom closet and exit miles away, where nothing resolves and multiple characters can represent the same person, but in some strange way it all makes sense. It did to me at the time, at least.   

Thank you for that; it actually makes some sense to me as I understand what you are saying. I thought that some coherence might eventually evolve but as it will not I will reappraise my outlook on the experiences related as I move on.

Jaakko Keskinen

The Diamond as Big as the Ritz is freaking amazing! It is absurd as hell - but it doesn't matter!

- Victor Hugo

Zeus

The notion of causality (ie A causes B) is extremely fundamental but very poorly understood.  The social sciences in particular appear clueless about causality.  When scientists tried to answer the question "does smoking cause cancer", it turned out they lacked the tools to properly study the question.

Daniel Pearl has led the charge amongst the machine learning crowd to tackle this fundamental problem, and invented a "causality calculus" to that end.  This book is his attempt to discuss his (and others') progress in the field to lay persons (such as myself).

The Book of Why: The New Science of Cause and Effect
by Judea Pearl and Dana Mackenzie

I am reading the book slowly because I think the book may be IMPORTANT.  Hopefully he won't disappoint.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Mahlerian

Quote from: Bubbles on July 26, 2018, 09:21:42 AM
The notion of causality (ie A causes B) is extremely fundamental but very poorly understood.  The social sciences in particular appear clueless about causality.

That's because none of them have read much philosophy, and many of them ridicule it (which goes for most scientists, actually).  If they actually looked at what's been said over the years, they would know that actually proving that one event caused another particular event to happen is logically and epistemologically thorny.

Hume, anyone?

Oh, thread duty:

村上春樹: 1Q84

The Japanese split long novels into multiple volumes.  I'm on "Book 2" now.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 26, 2018, 09:33:31 AM

Oh, thread duty:

村上春樹: 1Q84

The Japanese split long novels into multiple volumes.  I'm on "Book 2" now.

How are you finding that? I've heard very mixed reports.

Mahlerian

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 26, 2018, 10:39:35 AM
How are you finding that? I've heard very mixed reports.

Granted that I'm only just over one third of the way through, but I'm interested in continuing.  There is perhaps an over-the-top element in the situations involved (every character seems to have gone through some kind of major abuse, or knows someone who has), but at least so far it's all handled with an almost detached perspective.  Obviously I can't speak to the quality of the English translation, but I like the way Murakami's prose reads in Japanese (even though he sends me to my dictionary relatively frequently).

Translation from Japanese into English is very difficult to do well; things that sound elegant and succinct in Japanese often come out clunky and belabored in English because of several peculiarities about the former.

If there's something that would make me think differently after the halfway point, I'm not there yet.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SonicMan46

BOY - I've not responded to this thread in a LONG time, but I'm always reading - below are a half dozen books, half finished and the other half ongoing - reading these over the last few months - if any interest, please ask - Dave :)

[