What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ken B

Twain's essay on James Fennimore Cooper.

Also rereading Winter, by Len Deighton.

MN Dave

Quote from: Ken B on August 07, 2018, 04:38:22 PM
Also rereading Winter, by Len Deighton.

I thought that was a good book back when I read it.
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

MN Dave

Ghost Music by Graham Masterton (horror)
The Shores of Space by Richard Matheson (short genre stories)
Various sequential art stories at all times. :)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Sergeant Rock

Currently reading (almost finished with) We Were Soldiers Too: The Second Korean War--The DMZ Conflict. It covers an almost completely unknown period of US military history and the first book I've ever seen recording it. It's the experiences and recollections of seven infantry soldiers who served on the DMZ in Korea between 1966 and 1969 when the North Koreans were at their most aggressive. I was there too, in that hostile fire zone, although my experience was considerably different than these grunts who patrolled the perimeter. Still, there are enough similarities and places mentioned to bring back memories, both good and bad.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 09, 2018, 01:24:44 PM
Currently reading (almost finished with) We Were Soldiers Too: The Second Korean War--The DMZ Conflict. It covers an almost completely unknown period of US military history and the first book I've ever seen recording it. It's the experiences and recollections of seven infantry soldiers who served on the DMZ in Korea between 1966 and 1969 when the North Koreans were at their most aggressive. I was there too, in that hostile fire zone, although my experience was considerably different than these grunts who patrolled the perimeter. Still, there are enough similarities and places mentioned to bring back memories, both good and bad.

Sarge

I've never had reason to ask you about your service. And it's none of my business anyway. But in this instance I'd like to ask if reading such histories is something you often do, that you seek out.
I hope it doesn't seem I'm prying.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on August 09, 2018, 01:32:37 PM
I've never had reason to ask you about your service. And it's none of my business anyway. But in this instance I'd like to ask if reading such histories is something you often do, that you seek out.
I hope it doesn't seem I'm prying.

I do seek out the histories (Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War) trying to make sense of not only my own history, but my country's. It's often not easy reading but most of these books have come out decades after the fact and that makes them somewhat easier to digest.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 09, 2018, 01:47:10 PM
I do seek out the histories (Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War) trying to make sense of not only my own history, but my country's. It's often not easy reading but most of these books have come out decades after the fact and that makes them somewhat easier to digest.

Sarge

Cheers, Sarge.
I can't imagine any of that. But i can imagine a desire to make sense of it.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Thanks, Sarge. Deeply appreciate your sharing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

NikF

Not for the faint of heart, paid per word Miller (and/or Caresse Crosby) shocks for the sake of shocking, but imparted with enough wit to get away with it.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Draško

Quote from: NikF on August 09, 2018, 10:53:41 PM

Not for the faint of heart, paid per word Miller (and/or Caresse Crosby) shocks for the sake of shocking, but imparted with enough wit to get away with it.

Interesting, I didn't know about that book. Recently have re-read Tropic of Cancer and it has put me in the mood for more of his Europe based novels. I was considering Quiet Days in Clichy or The Colossus of Maroussi, but this one looks very tempting.

NikF

Quote from: Draško on August 10, 2018, 04:11:56 AM
Interesting, I didn't know about that book. Recently have re-read Tropic of Cancer and it has put me in the mood for more of his Europe based novels. I was considering Quiet Days in Clichy or The Colossus of Maroussi, but this one looks very tempting.

Tropic of Cancer was cool, whereas this one is so cheap and so grubby that the ink will come off on your fingers, even if read as an eBook.

Draško

Quote from: NikF on August 10, 2018, 04:19:10 AM
Tropic of Cancer was cool, whereas this one is so cheap and so grubby that the ink will come off on your fingers, even if read as an eBook.

Cheap and grubby works for me. The cover of Serbian translation certainly doesn't try too hard dispel that notion. ;D

https://static.kupindoslike.com/Henri-Miler-OPUS-PISTORUM_slika_O_85065089.jpg

NikF

Quote from: Draško on August 10, 2018, 05:23:04 AM
Cheap and grubby works for me. The cover of Serbian translation certainly doesn't try too hard dispel that notion. ;D

https://static.kupindoslike.com/Henri-Miler-OPUS-PISTORUM_slika_O_85065089.jpg

Oh my. ;D. But I must add that it doesn't quite accurately represent the contents. :laugh: Anyway, enjoy. 8)

ritter

Good grief!  :o ::). Only sold in bookstores on the Belgrade equivalent of 42nd Street?  ;)

Pity we don't have a "Worst looking Book Covers" thread...

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on August 10, 2018, 05:46:08 AM

Good grief!  :o ::). Only sold in bookstores on the Belgrade equivalent of 42nd Street?  ;)

Pity we don't have a "Worst looking Book Covers" thread...

42nd Street has cleaned up since the days of that reputation.  Travis Bickel would almost not recognize it;  Times Square is practically family-friendly these days.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 10, 2018, 05:57:29 AM
42nd Street has cleaned up since the days of that reputation.  Travis Bickel would almost not recognize it;  Times Square is practically family-friendly these days.
Must update my information for my next trip to NYC, then?  ;D

Draško

Quote from: ritter on August 10, 2018, 05:46:08 AM

;D In no bookstores at all, actually  :(  It's 70s or 80s printing and there hasn't been any more recent edition at all. So I'll have to get it used, in only one way hopefully  :D

Jaakko Keskinen

Continuing Sherlock Holmes stories. Now tackling The Final Problem...which turned out not to be the final problem after all. Funny how they inserted the line about  "Napoleon of Crime" even in The Great Mouse Detective.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo