What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwv 1080

One of the best accounts of WW2 from the German side I have read - following AG Center through 1941, it combines modern scholarship on the failed overall strategy with on the ground experiences of ordinary soldiers and does not skirt the issue of the Wehrmacht's war crimes and the general enthusiasm of the Lanser for the Nazi mission of Lebensraum.

Jaakko Keskinen

I guess I never told my final opinions about Dostoyevsky's The House of the Dead. In short, I hated it. This is the first Dostoyevsky book I really disliked.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

JBS

Quote from: Brian on August 24, 2018, 06:08:36 AM
So far - after 32 pages - it's not my cup of tea. It's a philosophy parody, and as such the novel has no plot and just one "character" whose job is to have nonsensical metaphysical ideas. (Sample: he believes the devil invented stupidity as revenge on humanity - funny - but the revenge is because he does not exist and is displeased about his nonexistence.)

I got a good laugh at the reveal that Lichter is a beggar, and a smirk from his terrible, terrible poetry, but so far the ratio of one brief reward every 10 pages is not great.

Sounds as if it is in the league of At Swim Two Birds.
Which was assigned to us in spring semester of my junior year by a visiting prof as part of a course on 20th century Irish literature, and which the entire class refused to read more than the opening chapters.  It says a lot when you have a roomful of 20/21 year olds, and can not find one who thought the book at least moderately interesting. 
The professor was furious, but being a visiting prof, and being the end of the academic year, there was little he could do about it except display some bad temper.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

I am about one third of the way through Balzac's The Abbé Birotteau and am enjoying it thus far.

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on August 24, 2018, 07:15:32 AM
I guess I never told my final opinions about Dostoyevsky's The House of the Dead. In short, I hated it. This is the first Dostoyevsky book I really disliked.

Why?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on August 24, 2018, 06:08:36 AM
So far - after 32 pages - it's not my cup of tea. It's a philosophy parody, and as such the novel has no plot and just one "character" whose job is to have nonsensical metaphysical ideas. (Sample: he believes the devil invented stupidity as revenge on humanity - funny - but the revenge is because he does not exist and is displeased about his nonexistence.)

I got a good laugh at the reveal that Lichter is a beggar, and a smirk from his terrible, terrible poetry, but so far the ratio of one brief reward every 10 pages is not great.

Hah! I've been reading the first three chapters online and I found it to be utterly and irredeemably rubbish. As for subversive, I'll take The Emperor's New Clothes, thank you.

This book is pure escapism, a genre which was succesfully --- and understandably --- cultivated back then but that today can have no relevance, importance or value whatsoever.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2018, 02:40:43 AM
Why?

Boring, full of sentences that make no sense whatsoever, that seem contradictory. Can't believe a masterful writer like Dostoyevsky wrote this.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

I sort of fell into re-reading The Two Towers.  Appreciating all over again how beautifully it is written.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on August 25, 2018, 03:38:27 AM
Boring, full of sentences that make no sense whatsoever, that seem contradictory. Can't believe a masterful writer like Dostoyevsky wrote this.

Are you sure you really read Dostoyevsky's The House of The Dead? (Actually the original Russian title is Memoirs from The House of The Dead) That's not how I recall it, not by a long stretch. Dark, disturbing, morbid, sometimes as if taken straight out of Dante's Inferno --- yes, by all means. But boring and absurd? Sigh. Could it be a matter of translation?

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2018, 03:55:44 AM
Could it be a matter of translation?

It could be, I read it in Finnish and the translation was definitely poor - full of typos, for example.

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

The finnish translation of the title actually translates roughly as Memoirs from The House of the Dead as well.

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on August 25, 2018, 03:58:50 AM
It could be, I read it in Finnish and the translation was definitely poor - full of typos, for example.

Ah, well, that might explain a lot.

Have you read The Gulag Archipelago? Compared to it, The House of The Dead is a description of a walk in the park.

Jaakko Keskinen

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on August 25, 2018, 04:11:24 AM
Not yet.

I recommend you do it asap --- provided, of course, there is a really good Finnish translation. The reality it describes is much more gruesome than anything Dostoyevsky ever experienced (and probably ever imagined) but paradoxically the style is gentler, more humorous and humane --- reading it I laughed while crying and viceversa. I don't hesitate to nominate it for the best 20-th century book.

Btw, another firm recommendation is Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate --- sort of a War and Peace set during WWII. A masterpiece as well.

Sometimes I ask myself how come that, while I'm being unabashedly and unapologetically Russophobe when it comes to politics, at the same time I'm being unabashedly and unapologetically Russophile when it comes to music and literature.  :laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2018, 04:25:49 AM
... while I'm being unabashedly and unapologetically Russophobe when it comes to politics....

I (and the Russians in my life) consider that in light of plain good sense.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 25, 2018, 04:43:14 AM
I (and the Russians in my life) consider that in light of plain good sense.

Please, send all my best to them. If we ever met in person, I'd be glad to buy the gentlemen a glass of vodka and the ladies a glass of whatever they wish (kvass maybe?).  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2018, 04:48:27 AM
Please, send all my best to them. If we ever met in person, I'd be glad to buy the gentlemen a glass of vodka and the ladies a glass of whatever they wish (kvass maybe?).  :)

A nice cup of tea will do handsomely.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 25, 2018, 06:37:35 AM
A nice cup of tea will do handsomely.

Duly noted, Karl. And what would you like?  :D

bwv 1080

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2018, 04:25:49 AM

Btw, another firm recommendation is Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate --- sort of a War and Peace set during WWII. A masterpiece as well.

Have you seen the Russian 2012 miniseries?  Not perfect, but very watchable and available on Amazon Prime in the US

Florestan

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 25, 2018, 07:52:23 AM
Have you seen the Russian 2012 miniseries?  Not perfect, but very watchable and available on Amazon Prime in the US

I haven't.