What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Replacing a copy I lost as part of the great dividing of goods and chattels that occurred a few years ago.

[asin]2097542026[/asin]

Someone could look at this collection and reduce it to 'portraits featuring heavy burning interspersed with somewhat voyeuristic studies of legs and derrieres'. Actually, they probably wouldn't say that at all. Instead, past form would indicate they'd go on at great length, happy in ignorant belief that their uninformed opinion is automatically a fact carved in stone. In any case, fuck them.
My own opinion is simple. I believe that Sieff loved his subjects for a number of reasons, that he didn't interfere, and was never intimidated by what they had to offer.
In any case, I'm enjoying browsing this right now, post gym with a cheeseburger and fries and a pint of milk.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

^ The posture of the guy on the cover made me immediately think of the Robert Mapplethorpe self portrait where he's got a whip up his ass.

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 28, 2018, 09:47:50 AM
^ The posture of the guy on the cover made me immediately think of the Robert Mapplethorpe self portrait where he's got a whip up his ass.

Yeah, suppose it does. :) One of the cool things about Mapplethorpe is his unashamed, unapologetic efforts to turn people on via what he created. Good stuff.
The model in the Sieff shot is Patrick Dupond who danced with the Paris Opera Ballet in fine company.  8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

milk

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2018, 08:02:19 AM
I haven't.
If you have a tolerance for BBC-style period dramas, it's pretty fun. But that's very much a taste thing and I wouldn't blame anyone for hating it. I liked it though.

milk

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72579.Alias_Grace

I think Atwood wrote a thrilling novel. She's quite masterful at the prose and patchwork of historical fiction and she's created a very compelling portrait. This is a masterpiece and one of the very best books of fiction I've read from the last few decades.

Florestan

Quote from: milk on August 30, 2018, 12:50:00 AM
If you have a tolerance for BBC-style period dramas, it's pretty fun. But that's very much a taste thing and I wouldn't blame anyone for hating it. I liked it though.

I'm a bit confused. Is it "Life and Fate" or "War and Peace"?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

milk

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 01:20:49 AM
I'm a bit confused. Is it "Life and Fate" or "War and Peace"?
Sorry, I got confused. Carry on :)

aligreto

Renoir's Table

I bought this book recently and I have been browsing through its visual and verbal delights with great relish. It even includes recipes of the dishes displayed and spoken of. The following is courtesy of the Amazon page

QuoteThis book takes an unusual angle to view one of the masters of Impressionism. We are taken on a visual and culinary tour around late nineteenth-century Paris, and are introduced to the favourite haunts of the Impressionist group, captured in the good-natured festivities of Renoir's painting, "Dejeuner des Canotiers" for example, painted from life in the Restaurant Fournaise in Chatou or we are invited to join the diners on the banks of the Seine, evoking the atmosphere of "The Luncheon of the Boating Party". No one knew better than Renoir how to capture the sensuality and relaxation of the open air, the joy of living on a brilliant summers afternoon. Alongside a selection of Renoirs much-loved paintings we have gastronomic portraits; from Bouillabaisse Provengale to Potage Crecy and Firtures de Goujon, Chicken Renoir or Baked Tomatoes Cezanne, made especially by Madame Renoir, for a visit from the artist to her home. Each recipe is taken from an authentic contemporary source, recreating the feel of turn of the century Paris. Also depicted is Renoir's family life, an essential element in his often hectic career, a life which arrived late into his middle age. The Renoir family spent summers in Essoyes, in the eastern French countryside where the bucolic climate and hospitable style of daily life there is portrayed in ninety colour photographs of the region. Towards the end of his life Renoir was enchanted by this rural environment; featuring an abundance of flowers and olive trees framed by azure skies, captured in his later landscapes. The cast of characters in this bohemian, though sometimes harsh life include a list of the most gifted people of the day, Zola, Manet, and Cezanne as well as minor painters, writers, art dealers, society hostesses, cooks, restaurateurs, maids - all are drawn with loving recall; their stories taken from contemporary letters, and especially Jean Renoirs memoirs which invoke the heady, pleasure-seeking lifestyle which epitomises this fascinating era.

SimonNZ

Finished:

And only after I finished it do I learn its part of a loosely connected sequence of novels involving the same characters and I haven't read any of the three earlier. Nevertheless I enjoyed this and thought it worked well as a stand alone.

Started:

stingo

Comic books. Specifically DC's Rebirth using this reading order.

LKB

About 60 pages in, and it's already one of the best science books in my experience.

>:D,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: milk on August 30, 2018, 12:55:59 AM
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72579.Alias_Grace

I think Atwood wrote a thrilling novel. She's quite masterful at the prose and patchwork of historical fiction and she's created a very compelling portrait. This is a masterpiece and one of the very best books of fiction I've read from the last few decades.

This and The Blind Assassin are her masterpieces, I think. I like them much better than her dystrophic books (Maddadam, Handmaid's tale).

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 04, 2018, 01:06:39 PM
This and The Blind Assassin are her masterpieces, I think. I like them much better than her dystrophic books (Maddadam, Handmaid's tale).

You must have meant dystopian.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 04, 2018, 02:22:02 PM

Yes. Autocorrect.

I am continually amazed by autocorrect. My hovercraft is full of eels.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I often can't spell well enough to get into the basin of attraction of the word I am thinking of.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 04, 2018, 02:31:06 PM
I often can't spell well enough to get into the basin of attraction of the word I am thinking of.
I know the sort of thing you mean. I was trying to remember an adjective for duckish: of or pertaining to ducks. It's anatine. This was years ago when I wanted to remark on the American obsession with anatine collineation. Americans talk about anatine collineation all the time. It's very weird.

milk

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 04, 2018, 01:06:39 PM
I'm looking forward to the Blind Assasin. I liked the first Maddadam book but they went downhill after that. I've never worked up the interest in Handmaid's. Glad to hear Blind Assasin is good!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot