What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

bwv 1080

Quote from: Ken B on September 30, 2018, 08:28:03 AM
I likedTooze's book on WWII. Let us know if this is good.

It is - I work in finance and followed the whole debacle in detail - like the good historian he is, does a great job of separating what was known and reasonably believed at the time vs what was not widely understood.  His key point is the SIVs - highly levered off balance sheet pools of non agency RMBS issued by banks and funded with short term securities purchased by money market funds- were the primary mechanism that rendered the US and European banking systems insolvent.  After all, if the banks had really just securitized bad mortgages and sold them all off to investors then they would not have failed - the investors would have just taken the losses. 

Ken B

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 30, 2018, 08:48:26 AM
It is - I work in finance and followed the whole debacle in detail - like the good historian he is, does a great job of separating what was known and reasonably believed at the time vs what was not widely understood.  His key point is the SIVs - highly levered off balance sheet pools of non agency RMBS issued by banks and funded with short term securities purchased by money market funds- were the primary mechanism that rendered the US and European banking systems insolvent.  After all, if the banks had really just securitized bad mortgages and sold them all off to investors then they would not have failed - the investors would have just taken the losses.
Thanks. Placed a hold at the library.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on September 19, 2018, 10:53:00 AM
Just started this

(The Story of San Michele --- the Romanian traditional translation actually reads The Book of San Michele)

and it's a page turner. One of the most humane and enjoyable books I've ever read. It literally made me happy while reading. Fwiw, the latest occasions in which I felt something similar was when listening for the first time to Saint-Saëns's Septet and Moeran's Violin Concerto.

Actually Andrei I suspect my wife might like this a lot, as a Christmas present. Have you finished it? Good all the way through?

JBS

The piano in question being the one which FC used while in Majorca, and which decades later found and restored by Wanda Landowska, kept in her Paris apartment until she had to flee the Nazis. Which is why the last part of the book is heavily focused on the topic of Nazi loot.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on September 30, 2018, 05:44:47 PM
Actually Andrei I suspect my wife might like this a lot, as a Christmas present. Have you finished it? Good all the way through?

I'm halfway through. Consistently good. (And he hasn't even started building his "Roman" villa yet. :D ).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

MN Dave

John Steinbeck, Writer: A Biography
The History of Rock & Roll, Volume 1: 1920-1963
The Brickeaters by the Residents
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2018, 10:04:44 AM
Jeez Louise. I am about as atheistic an atheist as you can be and even I find that kind of argument stupid. Look around. Do you see the ThereIsNoSalvation Army collecting for the poor?

Separately . . . there is a scene in Jacob's Ladder where the title character has fallen to the street out of a moving car, his back injured, and a Salvation Army Santa lifts his wallet.

Aye, there has to be a better way to make his points;  "except when he makes cheap bets with Satan, of course" would probably have struck almost any other writer on the planet as cheaper than the cheap bets.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 01, 2018, 10:10:56 AM
Separately . . . there is a scene in Jacob's Ladder where the title character has fallen to the street out of a moving car, his back injured, and a Salvation Army Santa lifts his wallet.

Aye, there has to be a better way to make his points;  "except when he makes cheap bets with Satan, of course" would probably have struck almost any other writer on the planet as cheaper than the cheap bets.

The wallet joke works because it's incongruous. Like a catholic priest who prefers grown women ...

NikF

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2018, 11:07:49 AM
The wallet joke works because it's incongruous. Like a catholic priest who prefers grown women ...

Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2018, 10:04:44 AM
Jeez Louise. I am about as atheistic an atheist as you can be and even I find that kind of argument stupid. Look around. Do you see the ThereIsNoSalvation Army collecting for the poor?

Quote from: Ken B on October 01, 2018, 11:07:49 AM

It's What I was currently reading, not An argument I absolutely stand by.  So, yes:  point taken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Having read all the novels, I'm currently reading all of Ursula Le Guin's Hainish short stories. They're scattered throughout various collections. Le Guin is the only sci-fi writer I really love. For one thing, she has a great command of language: she never wastes a word and she's quite elegant. But Le Guin always presents a deep idea for consideration. And she also always pushes our understanding of ourselves as human beings in imaginative ways. She's not dark; she's not verbose; she's not technical or "scientific." She's "human" to the core: anthropological and sociological. There's no one like her. I recommend all things Hainish (except her very very first short novel "Rocannon's world").

NikF

Victorian filth first published in 1880 or thereabouts.

This differs from much of the other material I've read of that genre/era, in that it ranges from being generally less than charming, to (as in the account offered by dear wheelchair bound Lady Beatrice as she imparts her love of the dick) being delivered in an air where camphor fights with lavender, but both failing in a combined bid to hide slowly decaying health, withering and rot that's brought on by natural human frailty, all hurried along by an excess of the good things in life. But as they say, we've all got to go some time.  8)

I suspect reading this can only be augmented with random glances at the often well stuffed period upholstery depicted by Henry Hayler of Pimlico (good luck there) and/or a soundtrack of the Rondo alla Zingarese, courtesy Brahms Op. 25
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Rereading The Talented Mr Ripley, by Patricia Highsmith.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Dan Brown: Origin

I had promised someone that I would read this book after a discussion that I had with them as to why I had decided to stop reading Dan Brown. I am about twenty per cent of the way into this book and I am struggling with it and it has already confirmed why I originally made my decision. My thesis is that he has a template, changes the concept involved, changes the name of the protagonists and the City involved and then makes a ton of money. Good luck to him.
[Disclaimer: I did not buy this book - it was given to me to read.]

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk