What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aligreto on October 11, 2018, 06:31:25 AMI had promised someone that I would read this book after a discussion that I had with them as to why I had decided to stop reading Dan Brown. I am about twenty per cent of the way into this book and I am struggling with it and it has already confirmed why I originally made my decision. My thesis is that he has a template, changes the concept involved, changes the name of the protagonists and the City involved and then makes a ton of money. Good luck to him.
[Disclaimer: I did not buy this book - it was given to me to read.]

The Da Vinci code was immensely entertaining. I was not tempted to read further, for the reasons you cite.

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 11, 2018, 10:18:14 AM
The Da Vinci code was immensely entertaining. I was not tempted to read further, for the reasons you cite.

You have, essentially, covered it all there.

André

I'm still in the Introduction (80 pages long). I read practically all of Maupassant's novels and contes (tales) when I was a teen. Now I'm going back to the Contes normands, or Tales from Normandy. That's another 800 pages, and is but a fraction of his output. The rest will wait some more, I think.

Ken B

Quote from: André on October 11, 2018, 12:43:23 PM

I'm still in the Introduction (80 pages long). I read practically all of Maupassant's novels and contes (tales) when I was a teen. Now I'm going back to the Contes normands, or Tales from Normandy. That's another 800 pages, and is but a fraction of his output. The rest will wait some more, I think.
Probably my favorite writer.

aligreto

Quote from: André on October 11, 2018, 12:43:23 PM

Quote from: Ken B on October 11, 2018, 12:48:24 PM

An author definitely worth reading.

SimonNZ

Finished:

Jack Reacher #6.

I'm enjoying this series more than I thought I would, especially as the quality of the writing has been improving as they progress after the quite clunky #1 and the okayish #2. I hope though that at some point he learns to create an endind that is something other than a mano-a-mano showdown with a damsel in distress, and villains that are other than sociopaths, A large amount of detail of secret service bodyguard duty in this one, which seemed very well researched.

Started:

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 12, 2018, 02:40:15 PM
Started:

I'm not usually one for indulging in (what appears to be) mere trivia, but this looks cool.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Quote from: NikF on October 12, 2018, 02:43:57 PM
I'm not usually one for indulging in (what appears to be) mere trivia, but this looks cool.

Yeah, even only a small way in I can immediately tell its a more carefully and intelligently edited collection than others with a similar idea.

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 12, 2018, 02:49:22 PM
Yeah, even only a small way in I can immediately tell its a more carefully and intelligently edited collection than others with a similar idea.

If you find it continues in that manner, do update? It does sound to have the potential to be cool.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Ken B on October 11, 2018, 12:48:24 PM

I am a huge fan of French literature but haven't read Maupassant yet. My favorite French writers are Victor Hugo and Alexandre Dumas pére.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Quote from: Alberich on October 13, 2018, 05:26:05 AM
I am a huge fan of French literature but haven't read Maupassant yet. My favorite French writers are Victor Hugo and Alexandre Dumas pére.
His best stuff are the stories rather than the novels.
I once flipped through several different anthologies of "best stories". There was almost no overlap, because there are so many to choose from.

aligreto

Quote from: Alberich on October 13, 2018, 05:26:05 AM

Quote from: Ken B on October 13, 2018, 08:17:45 AM
His best stuff are the stories rather than the novels.
I once flipped through several different anthologies of "best stories". There was almost no overlap, because there are so many to choose from.

I would agree with Ken B; focus on the short stories.

Jaakko Keskinen

Sherlock Holmes once again: The Adventure Of The Golden Pince Nez.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ritter

Françoise Gilot's book on her years with Picasso:

[asin]2264042605[/asin]
Very entertaining.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aligreto on October 13, 2018, 08:58:42 AM

I would agree with Ken B; focus on the short stories.

For what it's worth, I found "The Complete Short Stories" of Guy de Maupassant on Amazon.com in a Kindle edition by Centaur Classics for the princely sum of $0.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F873EH0/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't comment on the quality of the edition yet, have not really looked at it, but it does have a live table of contents. I don't know of it's availability on other amazon sites. (Amazon only lets you buy kindle content on the site that matches the locale of your account.)

André

Looks like a fantastic deal, Baron. You can pick and choose from the various stories (norman, parisian, others) by Maupassant. Hope you enjoy them !

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

As always folks, translations matter. Pick a modern translation.