What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: bwv 1080 on January 15, 2019, 05:57:56 AM
There is a very watchable Russian-produced 2012 miniseries on Life and Fate.  It was available on Amazon prime in the US

Another good and very readable Chinese history book. Platt also wrote a great book on the Taiping Rebellion (the costliest war of the 19th century BTW) a few years back
I read God's Chinese Son. Might have been by him  :laugh: interesting anyway.

SimonNZ

Murakami's first two novels "Hear The Wind Singing" and "Pinball, 1973" repackaged together as "Wind / Pinball".

Received wisdom is that these are unlike his later style, but I found them immediately recognizable as Murakami, both in prose style and subject preoccupations. The first work I liked very much, the second a little less so.

Ken B

Quote from: Draško on January 17, 2019, 11:06:56 AM

I hear good things about Akunin but am deeply skeptical. I am not sure why.  Let us know how it is.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2019, 07:56:36 AM

I'm about 100 pages in and it's funny, laugh out loud funny. Whether it will turn out to be more than that is a question I can't answer.

Nouvel Obs said it was a masterpiece, the greatest thing since Extension du domaine de la lutte, which is a book I very much appreciated. We shall see.

4/5  through and it's totally mediocre. Flat style of writing, conventional structure, peopled with caricatures who are there just for moving along a pretty episodic plot, no digging deep into any ideas at all,stuffed with mannerisms which get rapidly annoying (detailed descriptions of food and restaurants, pointless scientific details),  the only good bit is the description of a video where a beautiful Japanese lady gives a blow job to a couple of dogs.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Draško

Quote from: Ken B on January 17, 2019, 06:59:39 PM
I hear good things about Akunin but am deeply skeptical. I am not sure why.  Let us know how it is.

I've read four Akunin's Erast Fandorin novels before and I definitely like them. I'm not big reader of mystery/detective novels in general so can't quite compare them with anything else out there. They're well written, clever, with an occasional nod to some famous literature, like Master and Margarita in the first one. Cover period that hasn't been done to death (late 19th century imperial Russia) and Akunin definitely knows his way around that period. They don't repeat themselves neither in subject nor stylistically, some are first person view, some are narrated from point of view of some supporting character, sometimes Fandorin is a supporting character for most of the novel. The aspect I especially liked is that novels are chronological, in the first one Fandorin is this eager 20 year old civil servant of the lowest rung working in St.Petersburg police in 1876, and as years and novels go on he gets more capable, kind of mix of Sherlock Holmes and James Bond, and rises in the peculiar ranks of imperial bureaucracy.

As mystery novels go I find them superbly entertaining. If you'd want to try them just start with the first one chronologically, I think it's titled The Winter Queen in English, Azazel in original. That one is also probably my favorite so far.

Draško

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2019, 04:10:07 AM
4/5  through and it's totally mediocre. Flat style of writing, conventional structure, peopled with caricatures who are there just for moving along a pretty episodic plot, no digging deep into any ideas at all,stuffed with mannerisms which get rapidly annoying (detailed descriptions of food and restaurants, pointless scientific details),  the only good bit is the description of a video where a beautiful Japanese lady gives a blow job to a couple of dogs.

His style was always flat, but if he's gone bereft of ideas that's not good. It's not yet translated in Serbian, next month probably. I haven't read his previous though. Did you like that one?

André

Quote from: Draško on January 18, 2019, 05:32:06 AM
I've read four Akunin's Erast Fandorin novels before and I definitely like them. I'm not big reader of mystery/detective novels in general so can't quite compare them with anything else out there. They're well written, clever, with an occasional nod to some famous literature, like Master and Margarita in the first one. Cover period that hasn't been done to death (late 19th century imperial Russia) and Akunin definitely knows his way around that period. They don't repeat themselves neither in subject nor stylistically, some are first person view, some are narrated from point of view of some supporting character, sometimes Fandorin is a supporting character for most of the novel. The aspect I especially liked is that novels are chronological, in the first one Fandorin is this eager 20 year old civil servant of the lowest rung working in St.Petersburg police in 1876, and as years and novels go on he gets more capable, kind of mix of Sherlock Holmes and James Bond, and rises in the peculiar ranks of imperial bureaucracy.

As mystery novels go I find them superbly entertaining. If you'd want to try them just start with the first one chronologically, I think it's titled The Winter Queen in English, Azazel in original. That one is also probably my favorite so far.

I've read two of the Erast Fandorin novels. Great fun, very resourceful and inventive plots. Fandorin reminds me a bit of Rodolphe, the hero of Eugène Sue's Les Mystères de Paris.

Mandryka

Quote from: Draško on January 18, 2019, 05:37:49 AM
His style was always flat, but if he's gone bereft of ideas that's not good. It's not yet translated in Serbian, next month probably. I haven't read his previous though. Did you like that one?

The one I liked most was the first, Extension du domaine de la lutte. His previous was Soumission I think, I thought it was OK for a plane or a train -- the main character is a sympathetic loser, and he had some ideas which weren't totally un-interesting about the way that the way we organise sexual relationships in the west does no good, makes no one happy.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2019, 04:10:07 AM
the only good bit is the description of a video where a beautiful Japanese lady gives a blow job to a couple of dogs.

Think I'll skip this one.

Draško

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2019, 05:47:31 AM
The one I liked most was the first, Extension du domaine de la lutte. His previous was Soumission I think, I thought it was OK for a plane or a train -- the main character is a sympathetic loser, and he had some ideas which weren't totally un-interesting about the way that the way we organise sexual relationships in the west does no good, makes no one happy.

Interesting, I haven't read his first. I'll pick it up, thanks. Out of The Elementary Particles, Platform and The Map and the Territory, Platform was my favorite.

bwv 1080

Quote from: Ken B on January 15, 2019, 05:24:20 PM
I read God's Chinese Son. Might have been by him  :laugh: interesting anyway.

Have not read that one - it is by Jonathan Spense, Platt's Taping book is Autumn in The Heavenly Kingdom

Ken B

Quote from: Draško on January 18, 2019, 05:32:06 AM

Thanks. Very helpful.

Jaakko Keskinen

Still as fresh and relevant as on previous readings.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

NikF

I like to have something on the go for enjoying a quick dip in to and right now this fits the bill nicely.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Ken B

The Count Of Monte Cristo
The newish complete translation by Buss, in Penguin.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Ken B on January 24, 2019, 05:38:06 PM
The Count Of Monte Cristo
The newish complete translation by Buss, in Penguin.

Wow! You speak Penguin?  :D
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo