What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

More Hugo, having finished Ninety-three, this time re-reading the masterfully written account of Napoleon III's coup d'état, The History of a Crime.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Quote from: Alberich on February 06, 2019, 06:52:28 AM
More Hugo, having finished Ninety-three, this time re-reading the masterfully written account of Napoleon III's coup d'état, The History of a Crime.

What did you think of 93?

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Ken B on February 06, 2019, 07:35:54 AM
What did you think of 93?

While not as good as Notre Dame de Paris or those parts of Les Misérables that I've read, it is still guaranteed Hugo quality. I especially enjoyed characters of Cimourdain and Lantenac, well-rounded characters. Cimourdain kind of reminded me of Frollo from Notre Dame, both priests, both have protegés whom they care for, yet who are somehow responsible for their deaths, both witty yet gloomy at the same time. Though I have to say that I like Frollo quite a bit more than Cimourdain. Lantenac's final speech in the book is impressive and kind of makes one want to root for him. Not much what I particularly disliked, except maybe rather cringe-worthy description of baby babble and Hugo's views on Bretons which seem quite racist at times. The book is filled with so many good quotes that, ironically, sometimes it lessens the impact of the book as whole with it's power. Quotes galore, so to speak, a little bit overwhelming. I do not run into that in his other works despite there being equally a great number of splendid quotes. In them it feels a bit more natural. I guess we all have our inconsistencies.

All in all, I still enjoyed it. I haven't yet ran into a work by Hugo which I did not like (admittedly, there is still a lot of his output more to go).

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on February 06, 2019, 08:01:49 AM
While not as good as Notre Dame de Paris or those parts of Les Misérables that I've read, it is still guaranteed Hugo quality. I especially enjoyed characters of Cimourdain and Lantenac, well-rounded characters. Cimourdain kind of reminded me of Frollo from Notre Dame, both priests, both have protegés whom they care for, yet who are somehow responsible for their deaths, both witty yet gloomy at the same time. Though I have to say that I like Frollo quite a bit more than Cimourdain. Lantenac's final speech in the book is impressive and kind of makes one want to root for him. Not much what I particularly disliked, except maybe rather cringe-worthy description of baby babble and Hugo's views on Bretons which seem quite racist at times. The book is filled with so many good quotes that, ironically, sometimes it lessens the impact of the book as whole with it's power. Quotes galore, so to speak, a little bit overwhelming. I do not run into that in his other works despite there being equally a great number of splendid quotes. In them it feels a bit more natural. I guess we all have our inconsistencies.

All in all, I still enjoyed it. I haven't yet ran into a work by Hugo which I did not like (admittedly, there is still a lot of his output more to go).

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Next you should read Les travailleurs de la mer.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

Ken B

Quote from: Alberich on February 06, 2019, 08:01:49 AM

This reminds me how little I remember Hunchback! I read that before Florestan was born. Even before Cato was old!

JBS

A history of Weimar politics. While parallels to modern politics can be seen, there are also clear differences that make it clear that comparing the contemporary USA to 1931/32 Germany is not valid...and some of those are structural (for instance, the states of Germany such as Prussia and Bavaria were much weaker compared to the national government than US states are), cultural (no religious parties to divide the electorate), and none of the enormous turmoil of defeat and economic weakness that Germany endured throughout the 1920s. But it does make clear how the authoritarian right wanted to destroy democracy and thought Hitler was a useful tool.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

lisa needs braces

Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2019, 05:45:17 PM

A history of Weimar politics. While parallels to modern politics can be seen, there are also clear differences that make it clear that comparing the contemporary USA to 1931/32 Germany is not valid...and some of those are structural (for instance, the states of Germany such as Prussia and Bavaria were much weaker compared to the national government than US states are), cultural (no religious parties to divide the electorate), and none of the enormous turmoil of defeat and economic weakness that Germany endured throughout the 1920s. But it does make clear how the authoritarian right wanted to destroy democracy and thought Hitler was a useful tool.

Very interesting. Do you see any parallels between Hitler wanting Lebensraum in Eastern Europe and your fellow Zionist cult wanting likewise in the West Bank?

Ken B

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 05:51:24 PM
Very interesting. Do you see any parallels between Hitler wanting Lebensraum in Eastern Europe and your fellow Zionist cult wanting likewise in the West Bank?
Is that you Ilhan?

JBS

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 05:51:24 PM

There are obvious similarities between the genocidal aims of the Nazis and Hamas, of course. And less obvious ones, such as Hamas's use of the Big Lie to get Westerners to ignore its agenda and crimes.

JBS

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:06:45 PM
Hamas -- you mean the organization representing some of the people that your ethno-state dispossessed and is currently oppressing, never-mind why Hamas in Gaza should justify continuing settlements in the West Bank, you ethno-nationalist tool?

You support Hamas. Hamas's goal is killing Jews. Therefore you support killing Jews.
Be honest and admit that you support killing Jews, and I will restrain myself from further arguments with you.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2019, 06:10:27 PM
You support Hamas. Hamas's goal is killing Jews. Therefore you support killing Jews.
Be honest and admit that you support killing Jews, and I will restrain myself from further arguments with you.

Does demonizing the Palestinians relentlessly make it easier for you to stomach your ethnic kin oppressing them and stealing their land? Be honest.

Ken B

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:13:43 PM
Does demonizing the Palestinians relentlessly make it easier for you to stomach your ethnic kin oppressing them and stealing their land? Be honest.
Wow, you really are a puke aren't you?
Be honest.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Ken B on February 11, 2019, 06:15:30 PM
Wow, you really are a puke aren't you?
Be honest.

Be more substantive or fuck off.

JBS

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:13:43 PM

I am not demonizing the Palestinians.
It is telling that you seem unable to differentiate between Hamas and the Palestinians in general.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2019, 06:23:20 PM
I am not demonizing the Palestinians.
It is telling that you seem unable to differentiate between Hamas and the Palestinians in general.

You're attempting to distract from the perfidy your people are engaging in by demonizing a defense organization against said perfidy.

Ken B

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:16:02 PM
Be more substantive or fuck off.
okay. You really are a rude jew-hating puke aren't you?

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Ken B on February 11, 2019, 06:32:11 PM
okay. You really are a rude jew-hating puke aren't you?

I sincerely admire many Jews, and, admittedly, one of the warmest persons I've ever known is a right-wing Zionist. No hate. Just impassioned speech at the hope of reaching the humanity of a people who have turned callous as a response to unimaginable tragedy.

Ken B

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:35:30 PM
I sincerely admire many Jews, and, admittedly, one of the warmest persons I've ever known is a right-wing Zionist. No hate. Just impassioned speech at the hope of reaching the humanity of a people who have turned callous as a response to unimaginable tragedy.
Which is why, unprovoked, you troll a Jewish member, making comments about his ethnicity, and indulging in a little holocaust taunting.