What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Ken B on February 11, 2019, 06:40:19 PM
Which is why, unprovoked, you troll a Jewish member, making comments about his ethnicity, and indulging in a little holocaust taunting.

He engaged me in another thread. It's basically part of the same conversation. And "holocaust taunting"? Where?

JBS

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:28:16 PM
You're attempting to distract from the perfidy your people are engaging in by demonizing a defense organization against said perfidy.

Hamas is a defense organization in the same way that the SA was a defense organization.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:43:03 PM
He engaged me in another thread. It's basically part of the same conversation. And "holocaust taunting"? Where?

-abe- criticized the Democratic leadership for criticizing antiSemitic tweets by a freshman Congresswoman, and then objected when I pointed out the antiSemitic nature of those tweets. (In the Trump thread).

lisa needs braces

Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2019, 06:51:38 PM
Hamas is a defense organization in the same way that the SA was a defense organization.

Be careful with the Nazi comparisons, it's your chauvinist, ethno-nationalist and exclusivist ethnic kin down there that are Nazi-esque. No offense.

JBS

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:55:11 PM
Be careful with the Nazi comparisons, it's your chauvinist, ethno-nationalist and exclusivist ethnic kin down there that are Nazi-esques. No offense.

The Nazi comparisons are intentional and accurate.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2019, 06:54:19 PM
-abe- criticized the Democratic leadership for criticizing antiSemitic tweets by a freshman Congresswoman, and then objected when I pointed out the antiSemitic nature of those tweets. (In the Trump thread).

Begging the question big time. Do not trust the characterizations of this Zionist who is practicing what his people call hasbara.

SimonNZ

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:43:03 PM

This would be an example of that unwanted "spillover from political threads" that people have requested please not happen.

TD: nearly finished:

Also re-reading Germain Greer's collected reportage 1967-85, and once again admiring the sharp and original view she brings to any subject. These piecesalmost certainly read better now than they did when her name inspired knee jerk reactions or misunderstandings.

JBS

Repost so it doesn't get lost amid -abe-'s defense of genocide
Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2019, 05:45:17 PM

A history of Weimar politics. While parallels to modern politics can be seen, there are also clear differences that make it clear that comparing the contemporary USA to 1931/32 Germany is not valid...and some of those are structural (for instance, the states of Germany such as Prussia and Bavaria were much weaker compared to the national government than US states are), cultural (no religious parties to divide the electorate), and none of the enormous turmoil of defeat and economic weakness that Germany endured throughout the 1920s. But it does make clear how the authoritarian right wanted to destroy democracy and thought Hitler was a useful tool.

But this the Diner, and my original post had political relevancem albeit not the relevance -abe- wants it to have..

lisa needs braces

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 11, 2019, 07:21:39 PM
This would be an example of that unwanted "spillover from political threads" that people have requested please not happen.

TD:

Excuse me?

Also, Shakespeare was an English ethno-nationalist. I mean, have you seen this nonsense??!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFHRNGYfuo

;)

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 11, 2019, 07:21:39 PM

TD:

How new is that?
The other book I am reading is literally Norwich's last book. The UK and US editions seem to have different covers.

SimonNZ

Quote from: JBS on February 11, 2019, 07:32:43 PM
How new is that?
The other book I am reading is literally Norwich's last book. The UK and US editions seem to have different covers.

Published 1999 apparently. A good serviceable overview of how and where the history plays differ from what we now know as History, and of the sources Shakespeare used. And of how much the differences really matter - Norwich actually thinks not that much.

I've yet to read any other work of his, including his famous Byzantium set. I started his one on the Popes, but had to stop as it wasn't going to be what i wanted: he wanted to give potted biographies of the dozen or so famous ones, whereas I wanted light shone on the obscure and especially early ones.

I'd be interested to know how you'd rate the one on France.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 11, 2019, 07:44:54 PM
Published 1999 apparently. A good serviceable overview of how and where the history plays differ from what we now know as History, and of the sources Shakespeare used. And of how much the differences really matter - Norwich actually thinks not that much.

I've yet to read any other work of his, including his famous Byzantium set. I started his one on the Popes, but had to stop as it wasn't going to be what i wanted: he wanted to give potted biographies of the dozen or so famous ones, whereas I wanted light shone on the obscure and especially early ones.

I'd be interested to know how you'd rate the one on France.

So far of interest but only as a general introduction to the subject.
The one indispensable work he wrote is the History of Venice, probably the best one volume work on that topic I have ever read (by a man who truly loved Venice). I read the first two volumes of his Byzantium series, which was good but got bogged down in details.
He hated the Fourth Crusade...

Florestan

Quote from: -abe- on February 11, 2019, 06:16:02 PM
Be more substantive or fuck off.

Actually, it's you who should fuck off. You poison just about every thread you post in with your obsessive anti-Israel rants and constantly and viciously attack and provoke another member of this forum. The number of your posts related to classical music amounts to zero. You are obviously a troll who deserves at least a temporary ban.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

I read Shakespeare's Kings years ago. It was useful for more on the plays, but I preferred other books on the period.

ritter

Starting André Breton's Nadja:

[asin]2070111385[/asin]

Breton is one of those figures I've read about, but I've never actually come around to reading any of his major works. High time to remedy that... :)

Florestan

Quote from: NikF4 on February 14, 2019, 03:33:57 AM

Read it in an abridged Romanian translation. A delight form start to finish.

Is it the whole thing? I mean, the original French edition has 10 volumes.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

NikF4

Quote from: Florestan on February 14, 2019, 09:46:56 AM
Read it in an abridged Romanian translation. A delight form start to finish.

Is it the whole thing? I mean, the original French edition has 10 volumes.  :)

No, this version is abridged too. But hopefully I'll enjoy it.