What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: NikF4 on February 14, 2019, 09:58:00 AM
No, this version is abridged too. But hopefully I'll enjoy it.

You're in for a threat. He was a man after your own's heart...  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

NikF4

Quote from: Florestan on February 14, 2019, 10:02:54 AM

Ah, my reputation precedes me. Oh well, too late to worry about that.  ;D

Draško

Quote from: NikF4 on February 14, 2019, 09:58:00 AM
No, this version is abridged too. But hopefully I'll enjoy it.

I think abridged/highlights version is the way to go.

Some time ago I picked up one random volume of the full version (4th one, out of 5 iirc) and it was a bit of a slog to get through, gets quite repetitive: he travels to somewhere, and great man that he is they greet him with open arms, he seduces woman or two, then he gets into trouble (usually business or gambling related) through no fault of his own (he's never at any fault), some evil men on account of that trouble want to kill/imprison/rob him, and he has to run ... and then he arrives in another place and rinse & repeat. Maybe that is down to that particular volume and the earlier ones are more varied, but I anyway decided against reading the whole thing and to maybe go for abridged version in some indefinite future. Also his extremely high opinion of himself gets somewhat tiresome across that many pages.

NikF4

Quote from: Draško on February 14, 2019, 02:01:44 PM
I think abridged/highlights version is the way to go.

Some time ago I picked up one random volume of the full version (4th one, out of 5 iirc) and it was a bit of a slog to get through, gets quite repetitive: he travels to somewhere, and great man that he is they greet him with open arms, he seduces woman or two, then he gets into trouble (usually business or gambling related) through no fault of his own (he's never at any fault), some evil men on account of that trouble want to kill/imprison/rob him, and he has to run ... and then he arrives in another place and rinse & repeat. Maybe that is down to that particular volume and the earlier ones are more varied, but I anyway decided against reading the whole thing and to maybe go for abridged version in some indefinite future. Also his extremely high opinion of himself gets somewhat tiresome across that many pages.

I'll continue on with the read tonight (friday night spent at home reading a book  :o ) and see how I get on with it.

SimonNZ

Florestan

Quote from: lisa needs braces on February 16, 2019, 12:04:04 AM
I am anti-Israel as I would have been anti-Nazi.

Israel is not perfect --- there's no such thing as a perfect country, anyway --- but comparing it with Nazi Germany is either insane or trollish. Don't bother to reply, I'm done with you right now for ever.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: lisa needs braces on February 16, 2019, 12:04:04 AM
I am anti-Israel as I would have been anti-Nazi.
Well, I believe half of that.

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on February 14, 2019, 10:02:54 AM

< Imagines a Casanova Zombie staggering about, intent upon ripping Nik's beating heart from his body for a quick snack. >

Run Nik, run!

:P,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Florestan

Quote from: LKB on February 17, 2019, 02:05:40 PM
< Imagines a Casanova Zombie staggering about, intent upon ripping Nik's beating heart from his body for a quick snack. >

Run Nik, run!

:P,

LKB

Drat! It's the second time I made this typo. Coincidentally, it worked in both cases. :D

SonicMan46

Well, some more books in various stages of being read - some on my iPad and others as hardbacks - still love the feel of a physical book! :)  Dave

Rush - Benjamin Rush (2018) by Stephen Fried - done & an excellent read; one of the 'founding fathers', signer of the Declaration of Independence, and a famous physician of Philadelphia.

The War Before the War (2018) by Andrew Delbanco - historical account of slavery in America, especially in the antebellum era of the early 1800s - extremely well researched w/ plenty of details - about a third of the way done.

The Plot to Destroy Democracy (2018) by Malcolm Nance - the cover tells it all - half way done and the facts are astounding - cannot see Trump getting 'off the hook' if this ends as I expect?

Wireless Networking (2017) by Gordon Colbach - done - always trying to maintain my knowledge about this topic since I'm the home IT guy and I have an aging Apple Extreme router that may need replacement soon?

The Great War in America (2018) by Garrett Peck - not started yet but about the aftermath of WW I in the USA - should be good!

Heirs of the Founders (2018) by H.W. Brands - not started yet (last 2 from the History Book Club - just arrived) - basically, the followers of the 'Founding Fathers' - US politics in the first part of the 19th century w/ Henry Clay, John C. Calhoun, & Daniel Webster.

Jaakko Keskinen

Slowly continuing with Ulysses. Much outrageously funny and insightful lines but at the same time all those chaotic lines which at first glance seem to have no thematic unity contribute to slow progress.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

lisa needs braces

On Becoming a Person by Carl Rogers (1956).

More therapy via audible. Jordan Peterson spoke highly of this psychologist.

Florestan

The Cats' Bridge

Halfway through this highly recommended, page turner love story set in Oriental Prussia in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars.

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on February 25, 2019, 08:49:34 AM

The Cats' Bridge

Halfway through this highly recommended, page turner love story set in Oriental Prussia in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars.

"Oriental" Prussia?  Are you implying that Kant's inscrutable writing style was due to the fact that he was from China? >:D :P

TD

An epic poem, written in sort of modern English (some middle English vocabulary creeps in) adaptation of the alliterative poetry of the Anglo Saxons, but abandoned after several cantos.  Based on what is here, rather a  shame.  But one needs to lament that  in moderation, since what Tolkien abandoned it for was the start of the Middle Earth mythos.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on February 25, 2019, 09:01:56 AM
"Oriental" Prussia?  Are you implying that Kant's inscrutable writing style was due to the fact that he was from China? >:D :P

:D

I should have wriiten East Prussia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Prussia  Oriental Prussia is the Romanian name of the region.

Anyway, if you find Kant inscrutable I wonder what you call Hegel:laugh:

FWIW, I prefer Schopenhauer to both of them; he's far more realistic and his prose is a sheer delight (read it in translation only but the tranlations were made by professional philosophers and writers and they all praised the high literary qualities of his writings).

Mandryka

Disturbing, imaginative. Unputdownable.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on February 25, 2019, 01:23:26 PM
Unputdownable.

Please, give us your musical equivalents to this. The first five coming to your mind will do. ;D

NikF4

Ken B

Quote from: NikF4 on February 27, 2019, 04:15:21 AM
I haven't read this before -

That's on my kindle. I loaded it up last month, after 30 years on the to be read list. I am keen to hear your reaction.

NikF4

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2019, 06:23:09 AM
That's on my kindle. I loaded it up last month, after 30 years on the to be read list. I am keen to hear your reaction.

I'll do that, yes. I'm looking forward to starting it and when finished I'll certainly post any thoughts I might have.