What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: André on March 25, 2021, 05:18:20 AM
When I was in the old part of Toulouse 2 years ago I went into a library (fantastic place covering different buildings and different floors with entries on 3 different streets, almost a labyrinth) and came out with 2 items: the complete Contes normands by Maupassant (almost 900 pages) and the complete novels by Hesse. All of them old friends, stuff I had read when I was much younger. I'm still only halfway through the Maupassant, so the Hesse is somewhere in the future. My reading is much slower than it was 40 years ago  :-X. But I'll get there eventually.
You mean the Ombres Blanches bookstore? Fantastic place indeed...

André

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2021, 05:32:19 AM
You mean the Ombres Blanches bookstore? Fantastic place indeed...

That's the one !  :)

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on March 25, 2021, 04:25:17 AM
I think that you might need to build up a lot of stamina reserves before tackling The Glass Bead Game. I found it to be a very fine read but tough going nonetheless.

Well, I did just read The Brothers Karamazov. I'd say my literary stamina is in pretty good shape. Might not be a bad idea to strike while the iron is hot  ;D

Artem

Two books that I'd recently finished reading. Both were well written, but I didn't enjoy them as much as I expected.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 25, 2021, 08:37:48 AM
Well, I did just read The Brothers Karamazov. I'd say my literary stamina is in pretty good shape. Might not be a bad idea to strike while the iron is hot  ;D

Good idea!  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

Go for it! Good luck if you do.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on March 25, 2021, 11:12:07 AM
Go for it! Good luck if you do.

Well, TBK is almost a fast-paced whodunit, while TGBG is much more abstract and philosophical. I'm very interested in vers la flamme's findings.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Well, I did just read The Brothers Karamazov.

Who dunnit?  -- I couldn't get to the end and I'm dying to know.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on March 25, 2021, 12:13:07 PM
Who dunnit?  -- I couldn't get to the end and I'm dying to know.

Smerdyakov.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Here's a good book cover, which kind of gives away the secret

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on March 25, 2021, 12:25:46 PM
Noooooo. I was sure it was Alexei!

Wrong. Alyosha murdered Zosima.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on March 25, 2021, 12:27:21 PM
Here's a good book cover, which kind of gives away the secret

Hah! Spoiler even before the first page is turned.  ;D

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: André on March 25, 2021, 05:33:36 AM
That's the one !  :)

:D Librairie = Bookstore; Bibliothèque = Library; Go Figure...
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

André

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2021, 11:40:26 AM
Well, TBK is almost a fast-paced whodunit, while TGBG is much more abstract and philosophical. I'm very interested in vers la flamme's findings.

I know what you mean, definitely with regard to the second half of the book, especially—it became quite the page turner. But given the whole 800-page book takes place over a couple of days, and then another couple of days several weeks (months?) later, and consists almost entirely of dialogue, I would call it ultimately pretty slow paced. But it was a hell of a book and a fascinating read.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 25, 2021, 01:30:12 AM

Yes, that last interaction hit me hard, especially because I lost my mother when I was a kid. I suspect I'll be rereading Narcissus & Goldmund at least a few more times throughout my life. There's a few more big Hesse works I still need to read for the first time, too: Steppenwolf and The Glass Bead Game being the big ones.

I am rereading it about every 2 years. It's getting better and better. I am sorry about your mother, I think I know how you feel.
Just finished reading The Seagull.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 24, 2021, 08:00:57 PM
Started:

on the "Indo-European" mother tongue and its traces in modern usage

Very interesting. Probably I will buy the book.
I was going to buy the books below.

Ganondorf

The film adaptation was terrific (Stroheim's Greed) so I was excited to find this in a library. So far, unfortunately, it doesn't quite have the charm the film has. The book isn't very subtle in its thematic significance and symbolism. Nevertheless, the basic storyline I am familiar with is still there and there are some great passages. Unfortunately certain Jewish character in this book is extremely racistly drawn, even for its time.

Also, I have to say this, Mcteague is a real creep. I mean, he makes out with a passed out woman in dentist's chair. while he's supposed to treat her. How messed up is that?

SimonNZ

Has anyone read Oil! by Upton Sinclair - the one There Will Be Blood is based on? There's a copy at the secondhand bookshop near me that I'm on the fence about.