What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on May 30, 2021, 10:10:26 AM
I read it twice in its entirety and several times fragmentarily. Depending on my mood, I side either with Settembrini or with Naphta --- and always with mynheer Pepperkorn. Oh, and btw, if I were 20 years younger I wouldn't mind a one night stand with Clavdia Chauchat.  :D

Strange coincidence, though, as I've just started this for a first reading:

Started it yesterday at noon and I'm already more than halfway through the first volume. A real page turner. Thomas Mann, a bourgeois artist, a poet of the bourgeois lifestyle. Excellent.

That is an absolutely phenomenal book. I read it (Buddenbrooks) last year and it jumped right to the top of my favorite books of all time. You're going to love it. I'm sure The Magic Mountain will prove to be just as good or better, but I'm afraid I may not be in a good state of mind for it at the moment.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 30, 2021, 11:13:00 AM
That is an absolutely phenomenal book. I read it (Buddenbrooks) last year and it jumped right to the top of my favorite books of all time. You're going to love it. I'm sure.

Oh, I already love it!

Look, I don't know yet if Tony eventually married Gruenlich or not --- and please don't spoil it for me. My question for you is this: do you think she should have married him? My own answer is yes. Such a marriage would have most likely been exactly like her mother's, ie resulting in a tranquil, peaceful and bourgeouisly happy marriage --- marrying Morten Schwartzkopf would have most likely resulted in misery, bitterness and resentment.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on May 30, 2021, 11:32:50 AM
Oh, I already love it!

Look, I don't know yet if Tony eventually married Gruenlich or not --- and please don't spoil it for me. My question for you is this: do you think she should have married him? My own answer is yes. Such a marriage would have most likely been exactly like her mother's, ie resulting in a tranquil, peaceful and bourgeouisly happy marriage --- marrying Morten Schwartzkopf would have most likely resulted in misery, bitterness and resentment.

Hell no. I won't spoil it, but all is not as it seems with Gruenlich. Can't say whether poor Morten would have made a better match or not.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 30, 2021, 11:42:32 AM
all is not as it seems with Gruenlich.

Oh, as far as I can tell Gruenlich is dishonest --- he tells Schwartzkopf sr that Tony succumbed to his proposal, which is a blatant lie. But I still think that eventually Tony would be better off with him than with Morten.

Morten is honest and likeable, don't get me wrong --- but I'm not sure he's the right match for Tony; actually, I think he's the wrong match for her, despite her own feelings --- born a Buddenbrook, always a Buddenbrook.  :laugh:

Be it as it might, I love this book --- a masterpiece.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on May 30, 2021, 11:54:42 AM
Oh, as far as I can tell Gruenlich is dishonest --- he tells Schwartzkopf sr that Tony succumbed to his proposal, which is a blatant lie. But I still think that eventually Tony would be better off with him than with Morten.

Morten is honest and likeable, don't get me wrong --- but I'm not sure he's the right match for Tony; actually, I think he's the wrong match for her, despite her own feelings --- born a Buddenbrook, always a Buddenbrook.  :laugh:

It only gets better. So happy to see you're enjoying it. I burned through it in about a week last summer and as I may have alluded to already, I found it life-changing. It's amazing to think that Mann was 25 when the book was published, as old as I was at the time of reading. It's a fully mature work.

André

Quote from: Florestan on May 30, 2021, 11:54:42 AM

Morten is honest and likeable, don't get me wrong --- but I'm not sure he's the right match for Tony; actually, I think he's the wrong match for her, despite her own feelings --- born a Buddenbrook, always a Buddenbrook:laugh:

Except that the Buddenbrook genes become weaker with each generation. And yes, a masterpiece.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on May 30, 2021, 08:51:02 AM
I went through an extensive Hesse phase in my late teens/early twenties. I recall having liked this one. A couple of years back I bought the collected novels of Hesse. I still have to unwrap it... ::)

I remember that both you and I love the movie of Steppenwolf. Weird and likable movie!  :) :)

Quote from: Florestan on May 30, 2021, 10:14:31 AM
The first Hesse book I ever read --- it blew me right away. A great little book from a guy who would eventually become one of my favorite writers.

What other Hesse have you read, or plan to read?

I have been reading Hermann Hesse since 13 y/o. As I am getting older, his works are getting more and more impressive and impactful. I read most of his novels and a few collection of essays and poems. I even had a book of his painting works. Interestingly, I haven't read Glass Bead Game or Journey to the East. Hesse before Demian and Hesse after D are very different- almost different author. 
I hung portraits of three individuals in my house- Hesse, Arthur Schopenhauer (philosopher), and Admiral Heihachiro Togo.

P.s. the book below is an interesting book.

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 30, 2021, 05:42:02 PM
I hung portraits of three individuals in my house- Hesse, Arthur Schopenhauer (philosopher), and Admiral Heihachiro Togo.

I greatly enjoyed this book.

P.s. the book below is an interesting book.

Thanks.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on May 31, 2021, 01:48:19 AM
I greatly enjoyed this book.

Yes, I like the book (and another biography authored by Cartwright.) The book reveals that S and his mother, a novel writer and more famous than S at that time, didn't get along. Naturally, S didn't like her friends, except for Goethe. He liked Italian operas and didn't like German operas. The book discusses a funny episode about the incident when S visited a park and was examining plants. Intrigued by the well-dressed, aristocratic looking S, an employee at the park politely asked S who he was. His response was " if you could tell me who I am, I should be greatly in your debt."
Also, the book does a good job explaining his and Kantian philosophy. Very good book.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Charterhouse of Parma (La Chartreuse de Parme), Stendhal. Honor, women, and aunt.

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 31, 2021, 01:54:33 PM

Yes, I like the book (and another biography authored by Cartwright.) The book reveals that S and his mother, a novel writer and more famous than S at that time, didn't get along. Naturally, S didn't like her friends, except for Goethe. He liked Italian operas and didn't like German operas. The book discusses a funny episode about the incident when S visited a park and was examining plants. Intrigued by the well-dressed, aristocratic looking S, an employee at the park politely asked S who he was. His response was " if you could tell me who I am, I should be greatly in your debt."
Also, the book does a good job explaining his and Kantian philosophy. Very good book.

Yes. Schopenhauer was a devotee of Mozart and Rossini and disparaged Wagner in no uncertain terms. He was a mysoginist / misanthrope and a political reactionary. He despised Hegel and his philosophy and was bitterly sarcastic toward them. He was also heavily antagonistic toward Christianity (as he knew it). While I disagree with him on many topics, he's hands down my favorite German philosopher --- not least for his crystal clear, literary, almost poetic prose. I'd take him over his nemesis Hegel any time .

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 01, 2021, 06:43:51 AM
The Charterhouse of Parma (La Chartreuse de Parme), Stendhal. Honor, women, and aunt.

First time I read this book in my early 20s, I abandoned it a quarter-way through.

Second time I read it, 20 years after the first attempt, it was a page-turner.

One of those books which can be truly understood and appreciated only by people who have felt, thought and experienced a lot.  ;)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2021, 08:25:12 AM
Yes. Schopenhauer was a devotee of Mozart and Rossini and disparaged Wagner in no uncertain terms. He was a mysoginist / misanthrope and a political reactionary. He despised Hegel and his philosophy and was bitterly sarcastic toward them. He was also heavily antagonistic toward Christianity (as he knew it). While I disagree with him on many topics, he's hands down my favorite German philosopher --- not least for his crystal clear, literary, almost poetic prose. I'd take him over his nemesis Hegel any time .

Yes I like philosophies of Schopenhauer and Kant, rather than snake oil/alchemy of Hegel. His straight-ahead writing is very likable. S publicly, and Kant implicitly, were probably among the first atheist philosopher in the West. S admired Buddhism and Hinduism while his favorite book was Upanishads (admired by your friend Wagner as well.)
As for philosophers, he liked Kant, Plato, Gracian, Hume, etc. Albert Einstein hanged three portraits in his work room. They were Maxwell, Michael Faraday, and Schopenhauer.

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 01, 2021, 09:46:17 AM
Yes I like philosophies of Schopenhauer and Kant, rather than snake oil/alchemy of Hegel. His straight-ahead writing is very likable. S publicly, and Kant implicitly, were probably among the first atheist philosopher in the West. S admired Buddhism and Hinduism while his favorite book was Upanishads (admired by your friend Wagner as well.)

Well, I'm a Christian who greatly admires Schopenhauer --- but Wagner I can't stand either as a composer or a writer. S yes, W no!

Now that you got me started, my favorite non-Romanian philosophers are Pascal, Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard and Unamuno. Two Roman Catholics, a Lutheran and an atheist --- yet all of them have a lot in common with Eastern Orthodoxy.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2021, 08:29:28 AM
First time I read this book in my early 20s, I abandoned it a quarter-way through.

Second time I read it, 20 years after the first attempt, it was a page-turner.

One of those books which can be truly understood and appreciated only by people who have felt, thought and experienced a lot.  ;)

The Parma is a fine book though it is not as exciting/thrilling as Red and Black. If the protagonist were highly intelligent, as well as beautiful, just like Julien Sorel in Red and Black, he could have been more fascinating. Still the book is romantic, dramatic, and beautiful, especially the nuanced description of the relationship bet. the protagonist and his aunt is exquisite.

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 01, 2021, 10:27:24 AM
If the protagonist were highly intelligent, as well as beautiful,

then it would have been a highly unrealistic book.  ;D

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 01, 2021, 10:27:24 AM
romantic, dramatic, and beautiful

Is there any other kind of good books?  ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2021, 10:35:07 AM

Is there any other kind of good books?  ;D

Ie. Endo's Silence is neither beautiful nor romantic. It is upsetting and even unacceptable. But the story is thrilling and it proffers important philosophical questions. Also, philosophers and psychologists have discussed why the people are attracted to sad or scary stories (and music).

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 01, 2021, 10:43:07 AM
Ie. Endo's Silence [is] upsetting and even unacceptable. But the story is thrilling and it proffers important philosophical questions.

Ummm... Werther? Faust? The Robbers? The Hunchback of Notre-Dame? Manfred? The Toilers of the Sea? The Bethroted? Etc, etc, etc?

Look, when in late higschool we were given as class assignment to write down what we personally thought it was the main, most influential literary era, and explain why. I chose Romanticism and explained accordingly --- got an A + !

aligreto

Orwell: Down and Out in Paris and London

This was a very rapid read in comparison to my last read [Dickens: Our Mutual Friend - see Pickwick Club]. My initial reaction to this book is that I am very thankful that I was never that poor so that I experienced the hunger and deprivation that is illustrated in this work. The juxtaposition of this work and the mention of Dickens strikes me as opportune because Orwell was describing the plight of the poor worker in the context of working in some well to do hotels and the gruelling life of servitude that these unfortunate people had to endure in order to serve the well to do their daily meals. The dichotomy of the two modes of life is well contrasted by Orwell even though he primarily focuses on the lower end of the social scale. I am also very glad that I was not dining in those exclusive Parisian hotels that Orwell describes from a cleanliness and hygiene point of view.

The other interesting side of his account is the people and characters that he met and knew and their outlook on Life. Orwell's social commentary and philosophy are also both interesting.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2021, 10:22:14 AM
Well, I'm a Christian who greatly admires Schopenhauer --- but Wagner I can't stand either as a composer or a writer. S yes, W no!

Now that you got me started, my favorite non-Romanian philosophers are Pascal, Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard and Unamuno. Two Roman Catholics, a Lutheran and an atheist --- yet all of them have a lot in common with Eastern Orthodoxy.

I will check out writings of Pascal and Unamuno. Specially, Unamuno looks interesting.
As you already know, Kant and S explained that what appears to be the world are not real, but our limited and biased perception. Colors are not real. Lights with different wave lengths stimulate eyes, and eyes send electrochemical signals to the brain, which creates the perception of colors. So colors are not there in the real world, but they are a creation by our brain. Same about the sound, odor, taste, etc. Air waves and odor particles stimulate ears and noses, they send signals to the brain, and the brain creates the perception of sound and odor. So there is no sound or smell in the real, physical world.
Kant proceeds that the 3 dimensionality of the world and unidimensional time are perceptions created by our neurological activities as well. The real world is beyond the three dimensional space and time, and unknown to us. We will never be able to see or theoretically understand the real picture of this world because our perception and understanding are constrained within a 3D space and time, according to Kant (and Schopenhauer). Imo, this is also what Niels Bohr indicated in the quote I posted on the other thread.