What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Concerning Tristan by Thomas Mann...

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 29, 2021, 09:12:11 PM
It's a good novella, but not as good as Tonio Kroeger.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 29, 2021, 11:54:37 PM
Thanks, I didn't even know this existed, I shall read it.

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 30, 2021, 02:06:18 AM
It's a quick read; I liked it too. I expect you'll enjoy it as well.

The opening sentence - with the exclamation point! - is both funny and intriguing.

As is the main character's name: note how the name Detlev Spinell is rather odd, the last name sounding more Italian than German, especially a man from Lemberg (Lvov). 

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thank you for correcting my spelling of "Kreger."
While the original title is " Tonio Kröger," I haven't seen "Kroeger" in the Anglo-American sphere.
If you think the latter looks sharp and hip, I tend to agree and adopt this spell.
As usual, I maybe mixed up again though.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 30, 2021, 12:00:08 PM
Thank you for correcting my spelling of "Kreger."
While the original title is " Tonio Kröger," I haven't seen "Kroeger" in the Anglo-American sphere.
If you think the latter looks sharp and hip, I tend to agree and adopt this spell.
As usual, I maybe mixed up again though.

I haven't seen "Kroeger" specifically, but "oe" for "ö" is a fairly standard substitution in the Anglophone world (look at Arnold Schönberg for example who became Schoenberg when he emigrated to the States). I don't think Cato meant any pedantry in this particular instance.  ;D

Started yet another Stefan Zweig, this one much longer: Beware of Pity

So far so good. Another kind of comedy/tragedy of manners about a world that doesn't exist anymore: the multicultural utopia of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire—at least that's how Zweig seems to remember it, with rose-tinted glasses. What a brilliant writer; I'm quite obsessed.

I am definitely getting the feeling that our Florestan might enjoy Zweig's works, if he has not already read them.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Sounds good. I definitely prefer "Kroeger" to "Kreger."  ;D

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 30, 2021, 03:09:02 PM
Sounds good. I definitely prefer "Kroeger" to "Kreger."  ;D

I read that last year, part of the same small anthology as contained aforementioned Tristan as well as Death in Venice. I loved Kröger and Death in Venice most of all, but there was a great short story called Gladius Dei that I also enjoyed very much. What an author. Definitely need to get back to The Magic Mountain soon.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 30, 2021, 03:18:34 PM
I]but there was a great short story called Gladius Dei that I also enjoyed very much.

Yes, excellent and unforgettable work. More similar to Tristan than Tonio Kroeger. I like the work a lot.

Cato

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 30, 2021, 02:18:17 PM

I haven't seen "Kroeger" specifically, but "oe" for "ö" is a fairly standard substitution in the Anglophone world (look at Arnold Schönberg for example who became Schoenberg when he emigrated to the States). I don't think Cato meant any pedantry in this particular instance.  ;D

:D  True!  Whenever the umlaut is not readily available, the "e" can be added to show the sound.

And a big YES to anything by Stefan Zweig!

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 30, 2021, 03:18:34 PM

I read that last year, part of the same small anthology as contained aforementioned Tristan as well as Death in Venice. I loved Kröger and Death in Venice most of all, but there was a great short story called Gladius Dei that I also enjoyed very much. What an author. Definitely need to get back to The Magic Mountain soon.

Der Zauberberg beckons!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Again re-reading some parts of Casanova's memoirs. Romance, fights, adventure, cultures, etc. in the 18th century European high-circles. Always fun read.

Ganondorf

Today I borrowed R.L. Stevenson's Treasure island (in original English) and a collection of works by a writer who i haven't read much before: collection of short stories by Guy de Maupassant. Unfortunately I've already voluntarily spoiled myself of one of the most known twist endings of his oeuvre: the ending of The Necklace.

LKB

Currently re-reading an old favorite, The Log fromThe Sea of Cortez, by John Steinbeck. Wonderful throughout, and the portrait of his friend, E.F. Ricketts, is unforgettable.

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 30, 2021, 02:18:17 PM
I am definitely getting the feeling that our Florestan might enjoy Zweig's works, if he has not already read them.

I read a few of his works and I liked them a lot (The World of Yesterday, Beware of Pity and a few novellas).

Speaking of the latter, I recommend you to read Buchmendel.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 01, 2021, 06:48:09 AM
Again re-reading some parts of Casanova's memoirs. Romance, fights, adventure, cultures, etc. in the 18th century European high-circles. Always fun read.

Indeed one of the best memoirs ever written, fun, witty and interesting.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2021, 10:40:41 AM
Indeed one of the best memoirs ever written, fun, witty and interesting.

Andre, have a great weekend with nice wine or beer, or the both!

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 03, 2021, 12:07:10 PM
Andre, have a great weekend with nice wine or beer, or the both!

Thanks! I'm currently on holiday at a Black Sea resort so beer and wine are on my daily diet by default.  :D

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2021, 10:38:48 AM
I read a few of his works and I liked them a lot (The World of Yesterday, Beware of Pity and a few novellas).

Speaking of the latter, I recommend you to read Buchmendel.

Nice, I will check it out! I had a feeling Zweig's work would be right up your alley. I have read four of his novellas: Chess Story, Journey into the Past, 24 Hours in the Life of a Woman and Confusion, and I'm about a third of the way into Beware of Pity. Very good stuff

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2021, 12:11:43 PM
Thanks! I'm currently on holiday at a Black Sea resort so beer and wine are on my daily diet by default.  :D

Sounds like an amazing time, I'm jealous. Have a great weekend.

Artem

Recently finished

Bove's book is a collection of short stories about loneliness and friendship. Albert and the Whale has a lot of interesting things about Durer. The writing is similar to Sebald. There's a kind of journey with Durer's art and his life and the life of the author of the book and people who were interested in Durer in some way. A lot about Mann too.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Sillitoe. Cool and dope.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2021, 12:11:43 PM

Any good seafood at restaurants there? How are they in comparison to the seafood from the Aegean Sea? For years, I've been thinking about visiting a Black Sea coastal area either in Bulgaria or Turkey.

Brian

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 05, 2021, 02:02:06 PM
Any good seafood at restaurants there? How are they in comparison to the seafood from the Aegean Sea? For years, I've been thinking about visiting a Black Sea coastal area either in Bulgaria or Turkey.
Caroline Eden's book Black Sea will really whet your appetite. It is a combination travel book, photography book, and cookbook. (Although the writing in her second book, about Central Asia, is even better.)

Ganondorf

Thinking of perhaps borrowing Dostoyevsky's Demons from the library at some point. Read parts where he makes fun of Turgenev through the character of Karmazinov.