What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

I found The Water Statues by Fleur Jaeggy at the park today, and I read it. Could not make heads or tails of it whatsoever. One of the oddest books I've ever read.

Any fans of hers here? I was unfamiliar with her name.

Artem

I checked my goodreads and apparently I read her Sweet Days of Discipline two years ago. I remember nothing of it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Richard Nixon: Leaders.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Trying again with Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita

Made it about 50 pages in and stopped back in the fall; now I'm about 100 pages in and enjoying it a lot more this time. Nabokov's writing style is so rich and decadent. The subject matter is absolutely sick and twisted, and the protagonist freaks me the fuck out, but I suppose that's the point. The prose is amazing. I would like to eventually try and read everything Nabokov ever wrote; even though some of it is challenging, I'm quite drawn to his style.

Artem

Quote from: Mandryka on March 02, 2022, 09:28:32 AM

It's good!
This appears to be available in English language. Wishlisted now.

Artem

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 04, 2022, 06:21:50 AM
Trying again with Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita

Made it about 50 pages in and stopped back in the fall; now I'm about 100 pages in and enjoying it a lot more this time. Nabokov's writing style is so rich and decadent. The subject matter is absolutely sick and twisted, and the protagonist freaks me the fuck out, but I suppose that's the point. The prose is amazing. I would like to eventually try and read everything Nabokov ever wrote; even though some of it is challenging, I'm quite drawn to his style.
Reading everything by Nabokov is a very enjoyable journey. It's clunky at first with his Russian and emigrant novels, but it's smooth sailing after he arrives to the States.

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on March 05, 2022, 07:29:10 AM
This appears to be available in English language. Wishlisted now.

It is a sort of companion piece to his book on Flaubert, Les règles de l'art.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Artem

That looks interesting too. Thank you.

SimonNZ

Started

Even more interesting than I was expecting for being highly critical of all aspects of the prize.

ritter

Starting André Gide's Les Faux-monnayeurs (The Counterfeiters).

Artem

Several books that I finished recently.

SimonNZ

Quote from: ritter on March 06, 2022, 08:46:13 AM
Starting André Gide's Les Faux-monnayeurs (The Counterfeiters).

That was a book I greatly admired when I was in my early 20s. I keep meaning to read it again.

The handful of Gife works I read after it were never able to match it, with the exception of his journals.

André

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 06, 2022, 10:41:41 AM
That was a book I greatly admired when I was in my early 20s. I keep meaning to read it again.

The handful of Gife works I read after it were never able to match it, with the exception of his journals.

Same here. Si le grain ne meurt is fascinating.

ritter

Quote from: André on March 06, 2022, 12:45:15 PM
Same here. Si le grain ne meurt is fascinating.
Quote from: SimonNZ on March 06, 2022, 10:41:41 AM

Thanks for you comments, gentlemen. I haven't been able to advance much because of lack of time, but so far I'm finding Les Faux-monnayeurs very attractive.

I loved Les Caves du Vatican many years ago, as well as the other Gide (essays, Perséphone, Saül...) I've read, but Les Faux-monnayeurs is viewed by many as the novel to read by this author.

Good evening, Simon and André!

Florestan

Isaiah Berlin is one of my favorite political philosophers and this is a most interesting and very illuminating book, especially given the current context. Highly recommended.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Close Up and Personal, Catherine Deneuve.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2022, 09:23:43 AM

Isaiah Berlin is one of my favorite political philosophers and this is a most interesting and very illuminating book, especially given the current context. Highly recommended.

Looks interesting. Will get a copy!

SimonNZ

Finished:

Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Fariña, and Richard Fariña

Started:

SimonNZ

Still going with Vol.1 of Caro's LBj, but also knocked off a couple of quickies:

that second one is "The Oral History of Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused"