What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Jean Cocteau's Diary, written in occupied Paris.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jonathan Keates: Stendhal.   

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on August 22, 2022, 01:22:25 AM
Pushkin: The Captain's Daughter and Other Stories.

This is a fine collection of works from Pushkin. Some of the stories had a different outlook on Life and this made for varied, interesting and enjoyable reading.

Nice!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on August 22, 2022, 01:43:53 AM
A book which I remember enjoying and finding helpful many years ago. I also like his 'In Praise of Idleness'.

Sorry, I missed your post Jeffrey. Yes, I like 'In Praise of Idleness' (and other essays in the Routledge book). While I like many books by BR, his autobiography is a fun read!

The 2nd time he was jailed (for participating in an anti-nuclear demonstration), he was 89 years old!

Florestan

Reflecting a recurrent interest of mine, for the next few days I'll be switching between these two:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

First approach to the writing of Henry Green, with Party Going:

I recall H. Green's novels being in my parents' library, but I never read any of them. Party Going is (was?) regarded by many illustrious authors and critics as one of the greatest English modernist novels, but the author never achieved "super stardom" and seems to be slowly fading into oblivion. So far, the first pages definitely have a T. S Eliot-esque feeling to them. Looks promising.

aligreto

A Bronte: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

This is the story of the female tenant in question and a man who becomes besotted with her. She will not allow him to get close to her, keeping herself distant and even secluded. Things become so fraught that she finally gives him her diary [minus the last few pages] to read. She explains that by reading her background story he will understand what type of a person she really is and why she cannot accept his advances.

The plot is divided into three distinct phases. The first phase is the situation as it is at the present time until the handing over of the diary. The second phase is the tenant's story as contained in the diary. The third phase deals with a development in the plot which materially affects the tenant. The story continues with the development of the plot and its subsequent consequences for the main characters concerned.

Anne Bronte's writing style in this work is much more readable than that in Agnes Grey. Her plot is much more fluid in the telling and her characters are much more rounded and real in their construction. It is a much more approachable novel altogether. However, it was not quite a fluid read due to the somewhat archaic and slightly ponderous language. I find this to be an interesting point since Anne was the youngest of the Bronte sisters and one would assume, though it does not necessarily follow, that she would have been more "modern" in her approach. She certainly was with her choice of subject matter for the time.

However, I remember reading somewhere that it was a work that her elder sister Charlotte wished to suppress on Anne's death. Charlotte apparently felt that the subject matter was neither an appropriate subject to be written about nor an appropriate subject to be written by a lady. It must be noted that Anne Bronte wrote the narration from the point of view of the leading male character.

I have found the novel to be a somewhat ponderous read [from the language point of view] but, at the same time, a very interesting, enlightened and engaging read.

San Antone

Re-reading Eugene O'Neill: A Life in Four Acts

And along with it the plays as they are described in the biography, so a chronological survey.  I had previously bought the Library of America complete plays when i read it the first time.

Eugene O'Neill: Complete Plays 1913–1920
Eugene O'Neill: Complete Plays 1920–1931
Eugene O'Neill: Complete Plays 1932–1943

Spotted Horses

Jennifer Egon, The Candy House

[Minor Spoiler Alert]

A novel which imagines a future in which technology allows social media to go much farther than it has, enabled by algorithms which can predict our actions and a device which can download the contents of our minds and make our unconsciousness searchable. And just as in current DNA services such as 23 and me, you can decide to share your unconscious download in return for being able to search the unconscious downloads of others.

It is a follow up to A Visit from the Goon Squad, which did not have the science fiction aspect.

I found it to be a captivating read. I think my favorite book by Egan is Manhattan Beach (of the thee books I have read).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

aligreto

Wilde: Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories

It is always interesting to read Wilde's prose. It is always interesting and different and so it is here with this collection of short stories.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on September 05, 2022, 01:24:46 AM

It is always interesting to read Wilde's prose. It is always interesting and different and so it is here with this collection of short stories.

While I love Oscar Wilde, I haven't read these short stories. I will check them out.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 05, 2022, 08:47:35 AM
While I love Oscar Wilde, I haven't read these short stories. I will check them out.

There are eight stories in all in the collection Manabu. It is a collection worth having.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on September 05, 2022, 10:09:35 AM
There are eight stories in all in the collection Manabu. It is a collection worth having.

I saw an edition of the book in Tokyo a few years ago. I will get it!

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 05, 2022, 01:04:13 PM
I saw an edition of the book in Tokyo a few years ago. I will get it!

Was that an English version or a Japanese translation Manabu?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on September 06, 2022, 01:32:27 AM
Was that an English version or a Japanese translation Manabu?

It's a Japanese translation of the book. As for literature, I must read books in Japanese- my primary language. Books in other languages don't generate colors and images. Interestingly, however, I prefer English books for science and philosophy. For history books, both the languages are fine.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on September 05, 2022, 01:24:46 AM

My GP once suggested that I read Lord Arthur Savile's Crime - a rather unusual prescription. I can't remember why but I enjoyed it. I remember my mother once talking about it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Conrad is among my very favorite writers.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 06, 2022, 06:07:05 AM
It's a Japanese translation of the book. As for literature, I must read books in Japanese- my primary language. Books in other languages don't generate colors and images. Interestingly, however, I prefer English books for science and philosophy. For history books, both the languages are fine.

Yes, I thought that you might say that Manabu. I was wondering how well Wilde's witticisms would translate into any other language [not being a polyglot myself  :)].

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on September 06, 2022, 09:44:16 AM
My GP once suggested that I read Lord Arthur Savile's Crime - a rather unusual prescription. I can't remember why but I enjoyed it. I remember my mother once talking about it.

What an odd medical prescription. It was obviously efficacious as you seem to have turned out OK  ;D