What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M forever

Quote from: Harry on May 13, 2008, 01:19:01 AM
You have added your own nonsense I see, as hollow as always.

I am not surprised you subscribe to her mediocre banalities. You are just as much a hypocrite hiding behind a pseudo-righteous and pseudo-Christian facade as she is. We all have our dark and unpleasant sides. Except that some admit that and some pretend to be model people. Usually, those are the worst specimens of our species though. There are usually reasons for why they have to try to hide their dark side.

M forever

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 13, 2008, 07:41:15 AM

Had seen the PBS series, so put off reading this, but was well worth the extra detail and insight.  Would that more popular science books be this well written.

What TV series and book? About Vikings?

Daverz

Harry

Quote from: M forever on May 13, 2008, 05:20:47 PM
I am not surprised you subscribe to her mediocre banalities. You are just as much a hypocrite hiding behind a pseudo-righteous and pseudo-Christian facade as she is. We all have our dark and unpleasant sides. Except that some admit that and some pretend to be model people. Usually, those are the worst specimens of our species though. There are usually reasons for why they have to try to hide their dark side.

Yes, thank you M, for enlightening me, to my dark side, although its so dark, I can barely see. :)
You know that I am most grateful, as always.

Henk

Alex Ross' "The Rest is Noise"
Musil's "The Man without Qualities"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Henk on May 14, 2008, 02:28:52 AM
Musil's "The Man without Qualities"

In German, English, Dutch?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

bhodges

Quote from: MN Dave on May 10, 2008, 07:58:50 PM

Dave, this got quite good reviews when it came out.  How do you like it?

--Bruce 

M forever

Quote from: Harry on May 13, 2008, 11:59:58 PM
Yes, thank you M, for enlightening me, to my dark side, although its so dark, I can barely see. :)

That's exactly my impression, too. But you can shine some light into that area by admitting to yourself that you have it. Everything gets better from that point onward - at some point, you may not even need to cling to a superstitious religious cult anymore and enjoy true spiritual freedom and openmindedness. It is indeed like switching on the light in the dark.

orbital

Quote from: Corey on May 07, 2008, 09:10:11 AM
Part Two of The Guermantes Way now.

Question: Has anyone here read In Search of Lost Time in its entirety or am I alone in this crazy venture? :D
;D You are going at full speed! I will start the series again this summer (Swann's Way only for now actually since it is the only one published electronically in English so far)

Quote from: Harry on May 07, 2008, 09:25:36 AM
The brothers Karamazov...... :(
Me too :)
I have said goodbye to paper books to a large extent. I got one of those Sony Readers instead. They come with 100 classics of your choice which will keep me occupied for a long time.
I was sceptic as to whether the screen on those readers could compensate for the look of paper, but it really really does. It is really amazing how good and natural it looks. Plus since the thing can also read pdf's the whole Gutenberg project is up for grabs!

MN Dave

Quote from: bhodges on May 14, 2008, 08:02:20 AM
Dave, this got quite good reviews when it came out.  How do you like it?

--Bruce 

I got bored with it after about 100 pages. The concept is good but it didn't hold my interest.

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on May 17, 2008, 03:30:20 PM
;D You are going at full speed! I will start the series again this summer (Swann's Way only for now actually since it is the only one published electronically in English so far)

You missed my other post: I'm already to Sodom and Gomorrah. :D I actually think I'm going at a pretty moderate pace compared to the usual 100 pages a day.

Quote from: orbital on May 17, 2008, 03:30:20 PM
I have said goodbye to paper books to a large extent. I got one of those Sony Readers instead. They come with 100 classics of your choice which will keep me occupied for a long time.
I was sceptic as to whether the screen on those readers could compensate for the look of paper, but it really really does. It is really amazing how good and natural it looks. Plus since the thing can also read pdf's the whole Gutenberg project is up for grabs!

Oh, I couldn't give up paper books. I love the way old books smell. :D

MN Dave

Reading THE COLD SPOT by Tom Piccirilli (suspense/crime fiction) and dipping into this:

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

orbital

Quote from: Corey on May 17, 2008, 03:36:17 PM
You missed my other post: I'm already to Sodom and Gomorrah. :D I actually think I'm going at a pretty moderate pace compared to the usual 100 pages a day.
even faster than I thought  :o
That's a good rate, but it depends on the book for me. Lately I've probably gone even faster than that  (since I had nothing to do but sit and read for the last 20 days).

Oh, I couldn't give up paper books.
I used to say the same thing about books (and about CDs too), but the portability and the convenience won in the end. Strange, but often times when reading from the screen I find myself moving my forefinger to the upper right corner of the device as if to turn a page  :D

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on May 17, 2008, 03:48:10 PM
My man! :)

Is that one any good? I haven't read it.

Dave,
Literally have only read the back cover....his reads are usually quick, and will let you know.    

In The Crack in Space, a repairman discovers that a hole in a faulty Jifi-scuttler leads to a parallel world. Jim Briskin, campaigning to be the first black president of the United States, thinks alter-Earth is the solution to the chronic overpopulation that has seventy million people cryogenically frozen; Tito Cravelli, a shadowy private detective, wants to know why Dr Lurton Sands is hiding his mistress on the planet; billionaire mutant George Walt wants to make the empty world all his own. But when the other earth turns out to be inhabited, everything changes.

Winner of both the Hugo and John W. Campbell awards for best novel, widely regarded as the premiere science fiction writer of his day, and the object of cult-like adoration from his legions of fans, Philip K. Dick has come to be seen in a literary light that defies classification in much the same way as Borges and Calvino. With breathtaking insight, he utilizes vividly unfamiliar worlds to evoke the hauntingly and hilariously familiar in our society and ourselves.

Also grabbed this and may give it a run:

In the Hollywood of the future there's no need for actors since any star can be digitally recreated and inserted into any movie. Yet young Alis wants to dance on the silver screen. Tom tries to dissuade her, but he fears she will pursue her dream--and likely fall victim to Hollywood's seamy underside, which is all to eager to swallow up naive actresses. Then Tom begins to find Alis in the old musicals he remakes, and he has to ask himself just where the line stands between reality and the movies.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on May 17, 2008, 03:55:50 PM

I haven't read that, but Connie Willis's PASSAGE blew my mind! One of my favorite novels--period.

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on May 17, 2008, 03:57:36 PM
I haven't read that, but Connie Willis's PASSAGE blew my mind! One of my favorite novels--period.

I need to start a new thread pronto....I am sure I will see you there.

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on May 17, 2008, 03:59:35 PM
I need to start a new thread pronto....I am sure I will see you there.

:o

Bogey

Started reading this to my son tonight...only a handful of pages in and he is already hooked, as am I, once again.