What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Anne

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on June 26, 2008, 03:37:56 PM
"Is your mommy going to pick you up from school today?"
"Which one?"

:D  The children all know who mother is.  In fact the husband will build each wife a little home if he can possibly afford it.  The children live with their mother in that home.  Each wife very much wants an area she can call her own and a place for privacy when hubby visits.

greg

Quote from: Anne on June 26, 2008, 03:45:18 PM
:D  The children all know who mother is.  In fact the husband will build each wife a little home if he can possibly afford it.  The children live with their mother in that home.  Each wife very much wants an area she can call her own and a place for privacy when hubby visits.
Ok, i'll try this again......

"Hey, Pete, wait a sec. I have to stay here cuz i have to wait for my dad's wife to pick me up."
"Uhhhhh..... you mean, your mom?"
"No, it's just Pam."
" ??? "

Daverz

Quote from: M forever on June 26, 2008, 02:44:33 PM
Pretty gay outfit, if you ask me.

Have you been hanging out with American teenagers?  I hope there is not a picture of you on the internet in lederhosen.

BTW, there is a Mongolian movie out now which is about GK. The English release title is, highly original "Mongol". I saw a few minutes of that in a theater I worked at earlier and it looked interesting, so maybe I will go and watch that.

It has to be better than the John Wayne version.

greg

Quote from: Daverz on June 26, 2008, 04:27:05 PM
Have you been hanging out with American teenagers?  I hope there is not a picture of you on the internet in lederhosen.
Hanging out with American teenagers while wearing lederhosen? You mean, including teenage boys?

M forever

I am from northern Germany, people don't wear lederhosen there. But I did have some when I was a small kid, and the hat and all the other outfit, too. That was because my father was Austrian and he and my mother also thought that was cute. But we only wore that when we were on holiday in Austria or Bavaria. I have some pictures of that and some 8mm films which my mother had transferred to DVD but I don't have access to the DVDs right now. When I do, I can post a picture for your entertainment.

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on June 26, 2008, 03:00:10 PM
Well, that's because you still have not read The Man Without Qualities  :P

It's waiting for me on my shelf. Maybe after Hawthorne.

greg

Quote from: M forever on June 26, 2008, 06:09:52 PM
I am from northern Germany, people don't wear lederhosen there. But I did have some when I was a small kid, and the hat and all the other outfit, too. That was because my father was Austrian and he and my mother also thought that was cute. But we only wore that when we were on holiday in Austria or Bavaria. I have some pictures of that and some 8mm films which my mother had transferred to DVD but I don't have access to the DVDs right now. When I do, I can post a picture for your entertainment.
why don't you use it as an avatar?
you know, start fresh now that it's been deleted.

Anne

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on June 26, 2008, 03:59:29 PM
Ok, i'll try this again......

"Hey, Pete, wait a sec. I have to stay here cuz i have to wait for my dad's wife to pick me up."
"Uhhhhh..... you mean, your mom?"
"No, it's just Pam."
" ??? "

I understand what you meant now.  You are right.  That type of conversation happens a lot - especially when the children are talking to teachers or other adults who ask them questions.  One time three of the kids, all 5 years old, were signing up for free swimming classes.  The instructor was doing just fine with their info until she recognized there were three 5 yr olds all from the same address and all with the same telephone number.  Then she asked if they had the same mother and they said, "No."  Then one kid, trying to be helpful, said, "But we all have the same dad."

With that the swimming teacher bailed out and said for everyone to get in the pool.

The same thing happened when they started Kindergarden.  Their teacher went to the principal's office.  He thankfully had dealt with this situation before.

M forever

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on June 26, 2008, 06:13:02 PM
why don't you use it as an avatar?
you know, start fresh now that it's been deleted.

My avatar has been deleted? Why? I noticed it wasn't displayed anymore, but I thought that was just a hickup.

SonicMan46

M - I can't wait to see a pic of that scene!  ;) ;D  George B. salutes you!  :D  Dave

greg

Quote from: M forever on June 26, 2008, 06:29:01 PM
My avatar has been deleted? Why? I noticed it wasn't displayed anymore, but I thought that was just a hickup.
Yes, it has been permanently deleted from the universe. In fact, any attempt to bring it back may result in permanent destruction of the world, or universe, and may end mankind as we know it. Please bring it back.

(no, wait, AFTER you have the lederhosen pic as an avatar first, then you can bring the blue dragon back and i think i'll actually have a shot at dying happy)

Danny

A few books I've read lately:

A brief summation of the views of the man who should have been the nominee of the GOP and the next prez.  Fun and insightful to read, but sad knowing that Dr. Paul candidacy is history.

Some fascinating facts mentioned by Pat depicting the unsavory (and mostly unknown side) of Churchill, but just read an article by Christopher Hitchens in Newsweek who stated that Buchanan did a good job of relating the Treaty of Versailles and its effects, but that he left any historical facts that would taint his view of Kaiser Wilhelm II  as a peaceful dove and chided him for forgetting just how evil of a guy Hitler was.  With all that said, an interesting book that I enjoyed reading in just a few days.

As of right now:

Fascinating bio of Uncle Joe; you see the flesh and blood, while not having the faults extenuated.

karlhenning

I am from northern Germany, people don't wear lederhosen there.

Said with a most becoming note of wistful regret  8)

karlhenning

All right, I've just finished re-reading Don DeLillo's White Noise. A tour-de force. Well shaped, wittily written, by turns farcical, desperate & touching.

I bought the Viking Critical Library edition out of curiosity for the supplementary materials, too;  but just having read the novel itself, I don't want to touch the supplemental materials just yet.

And I'm not sure, seeing the book on the shelf, that I would draw it down for the purpose of poking through the s. m.;  but I suppose at some point I may.  More likely, of course, that when I take the volume up again, it will be because I want to re-read the text another time.

Got to love a story with a minor character named Orest Mercator.

Kullervo

Nathaniel Hawthorne - The House of the Seven Gables

Bunny

Quote from: Corey on June 28, 2008, 04:43:08 AM
Nathaniel Hawthorne - The House of the Seven Gables

I had to read that in middle school.  Murder, witchcraft, mayhem, fraud, greed, and true love -- sounds like a bad movie -- but so well written! 

Kullervo

Quote from: Bunny on June 28, 2008, 02:05:51 PM
I had to read that in middle school.  Murder, witchcraft, mayhem, fraud, greed, and true love -- sounds like a bad movie -- but so well written! 

great literature : high school students :: pearls : swine

Solitary Wanderer

Delightful. Fascinating how their life mirror's the settings and characters in their novels to a tee.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

karlhenning

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on June 28, 2008, 06:46:08 PM
Delightful. Fascinating how their life mirror's the settings and characters in their novels to a tee.

In their case, I rather suspected so.  To their credit, they made good art out of the lifelike material.