What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: knight on July 04, 2008, 12:43:51 PM
Yes, that's right. He was also over the years a leading light in the Venice in Peril campaign.

Mike

Thank you. I am glad my memory is in perfect working order... I can still hear Gordon Clough.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

knight66

And the wonderful voice of Irene Thomas.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Kullervo

Know nothing at all about this writer, other than he won the Nobel Prize for this novella. Is anyone familiar with him?

Norbeone

Quote from: Anne on July 04, 2008, 10:09:02 AM
You will eventually encounter an entire chapter(s), a dissertation on Russian farming or similar.  It has nothing to do with the story as far as I could discern.  You can ignore that entire part and be just as well off.  It's like 60 - 100 pages if I recall correctly.

You're reading a wonderful book.  I enjoyed it also.

Thanks for the heads up....i'll see how far I can plough through (pun vaguely intended)   ;D

karlhenning

Right. We skip the bits about fishing in Moby-Dick, too  8)

Kullervo

Quote from: karlhenning on July 05, 2008, 06:59:49 AM

And the sections of music theory in Doktor Faustus:o

Kullervo

Robert Musil - The Man Without Qualities

pjme

I'm being swept away by Andrej Platonov's "Sokrowennyj tsjelowjek" (1928)  Secret man - translation Charles B.Timmer / Meulenhoff A'dam. Great and disturbing.

http://www.sovlit.com/bios/platonov.html

And re-reading parts of a little book ( Mme De La Fayette ,par elle même/ Bernard Pingaud)  on Mme.de la Fayette ( 1634 - 1693)- author of "La princesse de Clèves" (written between 1672 and 1678).
Wonderful information on (high society) life in France / 17th century - and on how difficult it is to be a woman & a writer!!
La princesse de Clèves ( which I haven't read) is considered by some as the first French novel of any consistance, and  a kind of prototype of the psychological novel.

rockerreds

mn dave

Borrowed this from the library to sharpen up a little.

BE AN ISLAND

by Ayya Khema

SonicMan46

Microcosm: E. coli and the New Science of Life (2008) by Carl Zimmer - purchased because of a great review in a recent NY Times Book Review summary - plus, right up my interest in genetics & the importance of the humble but ubiquitous bacterium E. coli in research done over decades - just arrived today and I can't put the book down (but remember, I'm a physician & a little weird about this stuff!  ;D) - CLICK on the image for a description & Amazonian comments -  :)

mn dave

Maciek

Valentino

Sigrid Undset's Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy.
Supposedly good, since it won her a Nobel Price.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Novi

Quote from: karlhenning on July 05, 2008, 06:59:49 AM

Quote from: Corey on July 05, 2008, 09:26:14 AM
And the sections of music theory in Doktor Faustus:o

And the sewers in Les Miserables ;D.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Renfield

Quote from: Novi on July 10, 2008, 02:21:08 PM
And the sewers in Les Miserables ;D.

And the journals in Dracula. ;)

orbital

Quote from: Renfield on July 10, 2008, 02:27:05 PM
And the journals in Dracula. ;)
and the letters in Les Liaisons Dangereuses  :P

mn dave

Anne

And Tolstoy's dissertation on farming in Anna Karenina.