What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Corey, I am interested in your comments: Man Without qualities has been on the back burner of famous novels I have meant to read. In the past 30 years ::).

Fortunatlely I have had an  inkling of Musil's talent in my young days (Der Jünge Toerless - that was after I had seen Schloendorff's film - oner thing leading to another). At least I can say I got a peek into his work  ::)

mn dave

I've only read the prologue, but yes, Rickman is very good as usual.

btpaul674

I am taking a break from "The Sermons of Jonathan Edwards: A Reader" to power through Burroughs' book. I'm finding it quite a nice summer read with a refreshing IPA.

eyeresist

Quote from: btpaul674 on July 21, 2008, 07:28:46 PM

I am taking a break from "The Sermons of Jonathan Edwards: A Reader" to power through Burroughs' book. I'm finding it quite a nice summer read with a refreshing IPA.

I went through a heavy Burroughs phase years ago. I recommend "Cities of the Red Night" as possibly his best all-around. It's a sort of combination detective-pirate novel. If you like that, read "Place of Dead Roads", his take on a Western, probably my favourite Burroughs book.

Bogey

If the shoe fits....

...and in my case, like a glove.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

mn dave

Quote from: Bogey on July 22, 2008, 05:11:41 PM
If the shoe fits....

I have this little darling.

SonicMan46

If the shoe fits....

Bill - LOL!  ;D  Also reading a 'Dummies' book (added pic above) - of course, I'm always in the process of reading 3-4 books @ the same time - but, for those who may be interested in 'wireless home networking', this is now in its 3rd edition and a pretty good review - had the previous edition and am now interested in 'extending' my 'wireless' computer network in the home to other functions?  For example, goin' wireless w/ home entertainment, VoIP, home control (such as lighting), etc. - this new edition provides additional options & updates for those who may be interested -  :)

toledobass

Anne

If the shoe fits....

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1810&pc=SaleScience%20and%20Mathematics

This astronomy class is on sale at the Teaching Company for $229 (normally $800)  There are 16 DVD's.  It is for beginners and has GORGEOUS pictures.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on July 21, 2008, 06:31:58 PM
Corey, I am interested in your comments: Man Without qualities has been on the back burner of famous novels I have meant to read. In the past 30 years ::).

Fortunatlely I have had an  inkling of Musil's talent in my young days (Der Jünge Toerless - that was after I had seen Schloendorff's film - oner thing leading to another). At least I can say I got a peek into his work  ::)

Interested, too, in some comment, Corey.

I have read parts of Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften but finished Die Verwirrungen des Zöglings Törless (not so difficult) and I have seen Schloendorff's film, too. I have had the whole of Musil's fiction (Gesammelte Werke, Rowohlt Verlag) waiting on a bookshelf for around 20 years now...  :-[ But I will come round to studying it after I have done with my own bid for immortality.  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

orbital

Quote from: Corey on July 21, 2008, 06:16:24 PM
Starting The Man Without Qualities Vol. 2 after finishing the first volume today.

I feel like I should say a few words about it, but it is so staggeringly huge in scope that casual comments seem lazy and inappropriate — and I don't get paid enough to write reviews. Plus, it's not like anyone other than one poster here in particular is interested in what I have to say. :D But all this could just be an excuse not to be bothered with the internet as my connection is being very unreliable, so I will leave comments to a minimum (for now).
:)
I am envious of anyone who is reading this book for the first time. It still is, by quite a margin, the best fiction I have read. And this is not likely to change :( I have derived much pleasure and satisfaction from other modernists particularly Mann, Broch, and Doblin; but for me, Musil's book with its dizzying array of ideas has not been equaled.

Bogey

Quote from: Anne on July 22, 2008, 08:09:02 PM
http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1810&pc=SaleScience%20and%20Mathematics

This astronomy class is on sale at the Teaching Company for $229 (normally $800)  There are 16 DVD's.  It is for beginners and has GORGEOUS pictures.

I will take a look and thank you for the lead.

I also picked up this monster:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

Just starting this, looks intetresting, never read Pamuk before, though enjoy wearing it.

mn dave

Quote from: Bogey on July 23, 2008, 07:31:58 AM
I also picked up this monster:

Ah, you bought my birthday present early, I see.  ;D

orbital

Quote from: Drasko on July 23, 2008, 09:56:44 AM

Just starting this, looks intetresting, never read Pamuk before, though enjoy wearing it.
;D nothing like it in the summer

If you enjoy it, I'd recommend his masterpiece so far: Crnački Knjiga  :P

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on July 23, 2008, 10:29:06 AM
;D nothing like it in the summer

If you enjoy it, I'd recommend his masterpiece so far: Crnački Knjiga  :P

And I'd recommend to stay away from on-line translators, unless he wrote also Black Man's Book and that in wrong gramatical gender ;D

But I guess you mean this:

will sure check it out if I like this one, thanks

orbital

Quote from: Drasko on July 23, 2008, 11:02:30 AM
And I'd recommend to stay away from on-line translators, unless he wrote also Black Man's Book and that in wrong gramatical gender ;D

;D
I knew I'd choose the wrong one.

currently reading:

toledobass

Bogey

Quote from: Apollo on July 23, 2008, 10:11:35 AM
Ah, you bought my birthday present early, I see.  ;D

Yup.  Considering the vinyl plunge and am starting to research stereo components for the 70's to play the vinyl.

mn dave

Quote from: Bogey on July 23, 2008, 01:57:27 PM
Yup.  Considering the vinyl plunge and am starting to research stereo components for the 70's to play the vinyl.

Oh, I misread what it was.  ::)

No way I'm going back to vinyl. That would be going...sdrawkcab!