What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on July 23, 2008, 11:13:48 AM
;D
I knew I'd choose the wrong one.

currently reading:

Let us know how you like it. One of the many books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

Anne

Quote from: Bogey on July 22, 2008, 05:11:41 PM
If the shoe fits....

...and in my case, like a glove.

I just happened to look at my old mail tonight and noticed an email from The Teaching Co. which said the sale price on that astronomy course expires tomorrow, Thursday, July 24.  I am in no way connected with The Teaching Co. except as a happy customer.

Philoctetes

Browning's Sonnets from the Portuguese

Finished Iron John today, massively disappointing.

orbital

Quote from: Corey on July 23, 2008, 03:21:35 PM
Let us know how you like it. One of the many books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.
will do

SonicMan46

Quote from: Philoctetes on July 24, 2008, 05:03:01 PM
Browning's Sonnets from the Portuguese

Finished Iron John today, massively disappointing.

Hello, Philo - glad to see the bunnies back!  ;D

Opus106

Three Act Tragedy
Agatha Christie

It has just got interesting.

I've crossed the half-way mark of the novel, yet Poirot has made only a couple of appearances till now!
Regards,
Navneeth

Philoctetes

Quote from: SonicMan on July 25, 2008, 06:38:34 AM
Hello, Philo - glad to see the bunnies back!  ;D

It all comes around eventually.
8)

orbital

Quote from: Corey on July 23, 2008, 03:21:35 PM
=Oblomov=
Quite a fun read. As someone who would not mind a horizontal lifestyle  ;D (except for health reasons, needless to say), I found the character to be fascinating. The book continuously draws a fine line between "doing nothing" and "not doing anything", the former is Oblomov's attitude, and he works it to an art form throughout. I was very fond of the book particularly because the author does not draw lessons to be learnt, and presents Oblomov as a perfectly sane character who simply chooses to do nothing.

Next up, some Shakespeare reading... I want to gulp down some summer comedies before the season ends.

Bogey

Like Dave (Sonic) I usually have more than one book going, so also revisiting this read:

If you enjoy accounts of battles from this era, this book is for you.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on July 31, 2008, 05:56:53 AM
Like Dave (Sonic) I usually have more than one book going, so also revisiting this read:

If you enjoy accounts of battles from this era, this book is for you.

Bill - you're right on that statement - still in the middle of several books, and decided to start one just received from the History Book Club (they had a special summer sale for members + I had a lot of bonus points!):

Jacob's Legacy:  A Genetic View of Jewish History (2008) by David B. Goldstein - a short book which should be a good read - CLICK on the image that I added above for some additional description -  :D

Florestan

Measuring the World, by Daniel Kehlmann.

Exploring the personality and human weaknesses of two great German scientists, Carl Friedrich Gauss and Alexander von Humboldt.

So far, so good.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ezodisy

anyone read anything by Thomas Bernhard?

karlhenning

John Barth, The Sot-Weed Factor

Virtuosic!

Philoctetes

Christo

Nikos Kazantzakis, The Last Temptation [of Christ].

Is it good? No. Even worse than the movie.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

karlhenning

Quote from: Christo on August 01, 2008, 07:20:55 AM

Oooooh.  8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Renfield

Quote from: Christo on August 01, 2008, 07:20:55 AM

Do read Report to Greco, if you haven't already. One of the best things Kazantzakis has written, in my view; although I've no idea how much of its atmosphere (if any) could possibly be conveyed in translation, or out of (regional) context.

Christo

Quote from: Renfield on August 01, 2008, 07:34:58 AM
Do read Report to Greco, if you haven't already. One of the best things Kazantzakis has written, in my view; although I've no idea how much of its atmosphere (if any) could possibly be conveyed in translation, or out of (regional) context.

Thanks! And great that you react! Because of my stay in Crete, I tried to read as much Kazantzakis as I could (in Dutch translations as I'm writing an article on him and have to be able to quote them in those versions). I managed to read completely: Captain Michalis/Freedom or Death, Christ Recrucified, The Last Temptation, and also parts of Report to El Greco (hope these are the correct English titles, the Dutch translations use others).

Well, I found them disappointing, so far, even his final testament (Report to El Greco) - but okay, I'll first have to finish that one too, to be able to offer a final verdict. He's often lively and a fine writer of e.g. village scenes and witty folks, but as soon as it comes to Great Ideas, he gets wholly confused and cannot decide between Buddha, Christ, Tolstoy, Lenin and anyone else ever making an impression on him. Imo, he's no orginal thinker himself, sorry to say. But you may correct me!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948