What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay F

Quote from: orbital on October 10, 2008, 09:53:29 AM

Wonderful, wonderful book. I've enjoyed many of Roth's latest novels.

orbital

Quote from: Jay F on October 10, 2008, 10:47:59 AM
Wonderful, wonderful book. I've enjoyed many of Roth's latest novels.
Yes, I'm enjoying it very much. This is my first Roth though, I hope I have not started with his very best  :-\

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: orbital on October 10, 2008, 01:59:01 PM
Yes, I'm enjoying it very much. This is my first Roth though, I hope I have not started with his very best  :-\

I am a big Roth fan. I have read about half his books, but that man writes tons, difficult to keep up. "American Pastoral" is definitely one of the best I have read so far. But don't worry Orbital there are a few at the level of American Pastoral: such as The Human Stain and Operation Shylock.
Even if some other of his books are not quite at such an exalted level, I have never read anything by Roth that isn't very very good.

adamdavid80

Are there any recommended books about Mozart's music?  All I have so far are Phil Goulding's book and Beethoven or Bust.  Would really like to find something that discusses the music more so than his bio.  Suggestions?
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Haffner

Quote from: adamdavid80 on October 10, 2008, 03:59:43 PM
Are there any recommended books about Mozart's music?  All I have so far are Phil Goulding's book and Beethoven or Bust.  Would really like to find something that discusses the music more so than his bio.  Suggestions?

My favorite is by Alfred Einstein, and it's alot more like a "fan"'s interpretation/appreciation of the music. He gets really in depth in regard to the later string quintets.

Jay F

Quote from: orbital on October 10, 2008, 01:59:01 PM
My favorites are Letting Go, which I believe is his first novel, and Goodbye, Columbus, another early one.

M forever

Quote from: adamdavid80 on October 10, 2008, 03:59:43 PM

This is not a suggestion. It is required reading:

Haffner

Quote from: M forever on October 10, 2008, 09:55:33 PM

Terrific book. Rosen has several excellent books to his credit.

ChamberNut

Quote from: M forever on October 10, 2008, 09:55:33 PM

Thank you for mentioning this book, M.  :) 

rockerreds

adamdavid80

Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Valentino

Thanks, M!

Murakami: After Dark. Superb.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

karlhenning

Paul Roberts, Claude Debussy (Phaidon Press)

Sort of a 'thumbnail biography' series, well illustrated; I'm enjoying it because, well, I haven't read a complete biography of Debussy.

mn dave

One of the best blues books I've read.

Also reading: PIG ISLAND by Mo Hayder

Lilas Pastia

Taking a break from Nietzsche. Some 150 pages into The Gay science, I feel I'm advancing swimming through treacle.

So I'm turning my attention to my Tintin collection, of which I was missing Tintin au pays des Soviets (I borrowed it from the Library).
Man, this is so subversive!

karlhenning

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 17, 2008, 09:27:32 PM
So I'm turning my attention to my Tintin collection, of which I was missing Tintin au pays des Soviets (I borrowed it from the Library).

Curious to say, we had a couple of copies of that in the MFA shop a few months ago.

Bogey

I am guessing Mr. Spielberg agrees with you assessment of its depth:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983193/
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Opus106

No Comebacks (a collection of ten short stories)
Frederick Forsyth

Ideal for the daily bus ride I take, but after tomorrow I would not have to do that for about a fortnight.
Regards,
Navneeth

M forever

I loved the Tintin books as a kid, although my favorite comic books probably were the Asterix and Obelix books, at least until the writer Goscinny died, I never found the later ones written and drawn by Uderzo (probably with a host of assistants) quite as good. I think it would be fun to re-read the Tintin books. I don't remember much about them, except that they were really well drawn and had a very lively and "authentic" feel about them, the action leaped from the page, and really interesting stories set in exotic and mysterious places.

lisa needs braces

Author Phillip Pullman published a list of his favorite forty books in the UK Times and said this book was his favorite thriller of all time. I finished it this weekend and loved it! It's a wonderfully researched spy thriller and the final third is ridiculously suspenseful.