What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: mn dave on October 30, 2008, 04:32:36 AM
Do you have this translation or do you read Russian?

I have a different translation (unless it's the same translation with a different cover, which could be, of course);  I do read Russian, but I haven't attempted this novel yet in Russian.

mn dave

drogulus

The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross

I've read the first half and I find it riveting. Here's another opinion:

I am astounded at the glowing reviews for this intellectual lightweight of a book about music in 20th century. Author Alex Ross does a frantic tap dance of maintaining a narrative with critical insights, but ultimately, he has created a vapid work of no real insight into 20th century music, except those created by popular tastes. In fact, no one I know in serious musical discussions considers his commentary worthwhile. I do not believe he understands anything about music in form, in taste, and in historical context. Really disappointing.

This is like calling someones ideas "drivel". You know a book that causes this reaction must have good things in it. And it's well written, too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

bwv 1080

gotten hooked on Steven Erickson, liking this even better than George RR Martin

mn dave

Quote from: bwv 1080 on November 01, 2008, 04:43:53 AM
gotten hooked on Steven Erickson, liking this even better than George RR Martin

And that's saying something.

Haffner

Once again, terrific book! Not just for novices, all kinds of interesting information.

SonicMan46

Vincent d'Indy and His World (1996) by Andrew Thomson, published by Oxford Press - Amazon is selling this 230+ page book for $216 & used ones goin' for $100!  :o

However, borrowed a copy from the North Carolina School of the Arts library - I was lookin' for a d'Indy thread but seems not to exist?  :)

orbital

Quote from: Corey on October 29, 2008, 07:43:14 PM
Is there any writer whose style is similar to Pamuk's (as a point of reference)?
Hi Corey,
From my experience the closest resemblance that I've come across has been Kafka (particularly in Black Book and Snow), mostly due to "alienation" being a central theme in most of his works. I'd also heard comparisons made of him to Proust which I could not really confirm -until his latest novel. But in general I'd still consider him a post-modern author nevertheless.

ezodisy

Quote from: mn dave on October 30, 2008, 04:22:21 AM
Just started.

ah The Karamazov Brothers, one of my favourite books, probably couldn't decide between this, C&P and Notes from the Underground.

On another note it is about time that silly translators and publishing houses dispensed with following the Russian title and translated it fully as The Karamazov Brothers. I think it was the Oxford publication which did this correctly, and finally.

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on November 01, 2008, 09:45:51 AM
Hi Corey,
From my experience the closest resemblance that I've come across has been Kafka (particularly in Black Book and Snow), mostly due to "alienation" being a central theme in most of his works. I'd also heard comparisons made of him to Proust which I could not really confirm -until his latest novel. But in general I'd still consider him a post-modern author nevertheless.
Quote from: Florestan on October 30, 2008, 01:21:41 AM
I would say that, in respect to the psychological impact of location on the characters, cities and neighbourhoods being actually characters in their own right, he's similar to the contemporary Spaniards Juan Marse and Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and to Dostoievsky and Faulkner. On the level of the writing style itself, though, I am not aware of any similarities between him and other writers. Maybe Orbital can enlighten us.

Good enough for me, I'll give him a try. What do you recommend as an entrypoint?

Norbeone

Quote from: ezodisy on November 01, 2008, 09:53:14 AM
ah The Karamazov Brothers, one of my favourite books, probably couldn't decide between this, C&P and Notes from the Underground.

On another note it is about time that silly translators and publishing houses dispensed with following the Russian title and translated it fully as The Karamazov Brothers. I think it was the Oxford publication which did this correctly, and finally.

You're right, I suppose, but it just wouldn't have that 'ring' anymore. I'm not usually a victim of 'traditional wisdom' but this is one of the exceptions.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Corey on November 01, 2008, 04:46:38 PM
Good enough for me, I'll give him a try. What do you recommend as an entrypoint?

Orbital recommended me "Cevdet Bey and His Sons" and "The White Castle".
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

orbital

Quote from: Florestan on November 03, 2008, 04:07:50 AM
Orbital recommended me "Cevdet Bey and His Sons" and "The White Castle".
Yes indeed. Cevdet Bey may particularly be interesting, as I remember you had read The Buddenbrooks not long ago. They are kind of in the same vein. But please note that you will be taken through a brief political/social history of Turkey since its inception (actually make that since the end days of the Ottoman Empire). If that does not interest you at all, you might be put off before finishing the book.

OTOH, if you want to just dive in, you may start with The Black Book. If you can survive that  ;D you are very likely to easily go through others.

The Museum of Innocence, btw, is turning out to be more and more Proustian by the page. For the first time in some time I am reading a book slowly simply so that it does not end soon  :(

Kullervo

Oh, I can handle it. If I can handle the chapters of Psychology in Man Without Qualities, I can handle anything :D — though, I did stop Ulysses just because I felt I would be missing much of the value of the novel if I just plowed through and ignored any references that eluded me.

Catison

I'm just about to finish A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.
-Brett

orbital

Quote from: Corey on November 03, 2008, 12:58:28 PM
Oh, I can handle it. If I can handle the chapters of Psychology in Man Without Qualities, I can handle anything :D — though, I did stop Ulysses just because I felt I would be missing much of the value of the novel if I just plowed through and ignored any references that eluded me.
I am sure you can handle it. But just a caution that it, too, may contain a bit too many references. There is a film based on a theme from the book whose screenplay was written by Pamuk. It is called The Secret Face and it is an interesting viewing to say the least.

Kullervo

Just finished The Plague — took me much longer than usual, but I've been very busy over the past month (it's hard to find time to read with two jobs!).

Now reading: Shakespeare - The Tempest

ezodisy

Quote from: Norbeone on November 02, 2008, 02:22:50 PM
You're right, I suppose, but it just wouldn't have that 'ring' anymore. I'm not usually a victim of 'traditional wisdom' but this is one of the exceptions.  :)

true, but the 'ring' sounds stupid, so probably best without it.

Kullervo

Finished The Tempest — strange story, but with some beautiful lines. Seems like it would make a good opera. :D

Reading:

orbital

Quote from: Corey on November 06, 2008, 09:44:40 AM
Reading:

Excellent! Another product from that miraculous period of German Literature.