What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka, vers la flamme and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Renfield

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2009, 09:59:56 AM
So I suppose one might say that, if philosophers can (or must?) disagree with or "dispose of" the ideas of authors like Ayn Rand, they can do the same for Lewis. The fact that his subject matter is different (ie, religion) should not protect him from scrutiny if he makes arguments, good or bad, about what we ought to think, especially since he holds such surprising influence over the thought of many people who won't be up for reading real philosophical works.

It's a question whether Lewis was ever as assertive about his peculiar (as in particular) beliefs than Ayn Rand, but I do acknowledge the point of there being a duty for philosophers to assess a work over merit given, as well as innate.

No less of a waste of time, though.

I wonder if it would help, including stickers for "this book might not contain immediately applicable philosophy". >:D

bhodges

Malcolm Gladwell: Outliers - So far, interesting take on some unexpected factors that foster success.

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: Renfield on January 19, 2009, 10:37:13 AM
I wonder if it would help, including stickers for "this book might not contain immediately applicable philosophy". >:D
;D

As for your other point, one of Beversluis' findings is that many of Lewis' fundamental beliefs are in fact a muddle, so that he can mistakenly endorse two opposing schools of theological thought on questions like the problem of evil - sometimes within the same book.

mozartsneighbor

Have been reading a bunch of books during the Holidays and in the aftermath, most of which I have finished or am close to finishing:
-- received Ellis' "American Psycho" for Christmas and enjoyed it shortly thereafter
-- am finishing Stendhal's "The Charterhouse of Parma"
-- to brush up my Portuguese I read "The Salesman of Pasts" by José Eduardo Agualusa, a young new writer who definitely shows promise
-- to keep my New Year's resolution of reading at least 50% of all books in German I read "Tales of the City" and "More Tales of City" by Armistead Maupin translated into German
-- and to further cement that resolution have now started with Joseph Roth's "Radetskymarsch"

Kullervo

Finished Brothers Karamazov a few days ago -- became quite enjoyable after the initial (and sometimes, tedious) exposition, without which the latter half would not have been nearly as powerful.

Read Yevgeny Zamyatin's We and loved it. I felt once again the excitement as when I read 1984 for the first time, but Zamyatin's future is more nuanced, less hopeless, less "this is how it will be" than "it's not going to be this way because I won't let it". Call it 1984 for grownups.

Reading now: Italo Svevo's Zeno's Conscience. I hadn't heard of Svevo until I read his name mentioned in the introduction to my copy of The Man Without Qualities as one of the great writers of the 20th Century along with Proust, Kafka, Mann and Joyce. With an endorsement that strong it's basically required reading for me.

Brian

Quote from: Corey on January 21, 2009, 11:24:16 AM
Finished Brothers Karamazov a few days ago -- became quite enjoyable after the initial (and sometimes, tedious) exposition, without which the latter half would not have been nearly as powerful.
Which translation, I wonder? For me (w/ Andrew MacAndrew translating) there was hardly ever a dull moment, culminating in a powerful ending, to be sure, but there were many chapters in the middle to stop, re-read, and savor.

Philoctetes

Clare, in addition to the previous.

karlhenning

Quote from: erato on January 09, 2009, 07:12:07 AM
Meaning that you are in doubt if Alfovitch' Lennon is worth reading about?

Read probably about a hundred pages of this last night.  Generally, I feel it ought to be better than it is . . . feels a bit 'padded', with a voyeuristic preoccupation with the seedy angle.  Will soldier on, at intervals, though.

orbital

Quote from: Corey on January 21, 2009, 11:24:16 AM

Reading now: Italo Svevo's Zeno's Conscience.
That, along with Perec's Life:A User's Manual are two books that I want to read before I die soon. Please do comment on it when you are done  :)

ChamberNut

Shogun

Author:  James Clavell

And yes, it's very good!   :)  But long  :o

I remember I was about 6 years old when the "made for TV" movie with Richard Chamberlain was on.  I watched some of it with my parents (even though it probably wasn't meant for a 6 year old to watch  ;D)

Dr. Dread

Haffner

Quote from: mn dave on January 22, 2009, 07:54:47 AM
I love this guy.

I'm pretty sure I read that one. One of his Fantasy Horror works?

Dr. Dread

Quote from: AndyD. on January 22, 2009, 11:12:34 AM

I'm pretty sure I read that one. One of his Fantasy Horror works?
Yep. And a fine one it is.

Kullervo

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2009, 01:26:03 PM
Which translation, I wonder? For me (w/ Andrew MacAndrew translating) there was hardly ever a dull moment, culminating in a powerful ending, to be sure, but there were many chapters in the middle to stop, re-read, and savor.

I read the Constance Garnett translation, but I suspect that the feeling of it dragging had to do with the fact that I was reading it in small snatches; I devoted larger chunks of time to the latter half. I will read it again, of course... someday.

Brian

Quote from: Corey on January 22, 2009, 01:08:56 PM
I read the Constance Garnett translation, but I suspect that the feeling of it dragging had to do with the fact that I was reading it in small snatches; I devoted larger chunks of time to the latter half. I will read it again, of course... someday.
Ah, yes. I believe I managed to read 150 pages in one fantastic sitting, but when my time was limited it was less enjoyable. The prose is peculiar and peculiarly brilliant in that way. :)

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on January 22, 2009, 07:37:21 AM
That, along with Perec's Life:A User's Manual are two books that I want to read before I die soon. Please do comment on it when you are done  :)

Will do, of course. I'm about a third of the way through and it is wonderful.

SonicMan46

Darwin: Discovering the Tree of Life (2005) by Niles Eldredge - actually purchased this book in the spring of 2006 when we attended the 'Darwin Exhibit' at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC; the author was in charge of setting up this wonderful presentation which premiered in the Big Apple - well the book disappeared and was found by my wife in our bedroom a week ago - so just beginning a read!  ::)

Well, this is a great time of re-discovery - 2009 is a special year for Darwin; he was born in 1809 (in fact on the same day as Abraham Lincoln!); and his book on the Origin of Species was published in 1859 - glad that I'm reading the book now -  :D

lisa needs braces

I dip into this every once in a while!

lisa needs braces

I read half of Weaverworld when I was in high school. I don't know why I stopped reading it--perhaps the lack of a clear hero I could identify with/root for? But I remember it being highly imaginative otherwise.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz