What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Bu on February 05, 2009, 12:12:30 AM

Good so far, but I still have a problem with viewing Descartes as a bad influence on history. :-\
You don't have a problem with the inclusions of Darwin, Nietzsche and Kinsey? Darwin's book might just be the most important (in a positive sense) of the 19th century, and one of the founding texts of the world we live in today. :)

Dave - be sure to check out the companion volume covering Confederate doctors as well! My mom purchased both in Vicksburg to do research on a novel about war surgeons which she never did get around to writing.

aquablob

Beethoven: The Last Decade, 1817-1827 by Martin Cooper (the 1985 revision). Very nice!

Bu

Quote from: Brian on February 05, 2009, 07:00:21 PM
You don't have a problem with the inclusions of Darwin, Nietzsche and Kinsey? Darwin's book might just be the most important (in a positive sense) of the 19th century, and one of the founding texts of the world we live in today. :)

His selection by Darwin isn't "The Origins of Species" but  "The Descent of Man", where--with the help of quotes by Charles--he pretty much depicts him as the father of eugenics, a racist and proto-nazi, to boot.   Makes me want to read the book by Darwin and see if he's not being taken out of context.

Haven't read through the chapter on Kinsey, but from what I've read of Nietzsche (Genealogy of Morals, Beyond Good and Evil) the world would have been a much better place without his ranting and raving. Reading the chapter in the book by Wiker reinforced my opinion. I'm sure you have a different opinion on the matter; would be interested in your reading this book and seeing what you think of his critique.

Bu

Quote from: Renfield on February 05, 2009, 01:58:01 PM
Next book, please. :P

Wiker thinks it should have been: "I am, therefore I think." 

He also doesn't approve of making God an invention of the subjective mind; Descartes' proofs of God are ridiculed by the professor, too.

I could continue, but you get the picture.    ;D

Renfield

Quote from: Bu on February 05, 2009, 09:00:40 PM
Wiker thinks it should have been: "I am, therefore I think." 

He also doesn't approve of making God an invention of the subjective mind; Descartes' proofs of God are ridiculed by the professor, too.

I could continue, but you get the picture.    ;D

Yes I do; though apparently he doesn't. :P

If there was one thing Descartes did not want to prove, it is that God is invented by the subjective mind! I am also about 85% certain he missed the point of cogito ergo sum. Though the proofs on God (and the immortality of the soul - TM), are a different matter.

Quote from: Bu on February 05, 2009, 08:55:57 PM
Haven't read through the chapter on Kinsey, but from what I've read of Nietzsche (Genealogy of Morals, Beyond Good and Evil) the world would have been a much better place without his ranting and raving.

This reeks of "only sanitary thoughts are safe, and only safe thoughts are valuable".

Unfortunately, this sounds exactly like what I would expect from a Biblical Theologist if I gave into the temptation to stereotype.

But if you enjoy it, fair enough.

Just do have a look at Darwin, Descartes, Nietzsche et al. themselves (that is, their work) before drawing conclusions. :)

Dr. Dread

If you read crime fiction, we have a nice collection of author interviews over here:

http://thebigadios.yuku.com/forums/61

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on February 05, 2009, 07:00:21 PM
Dave - be sure to check out the companion volume covering Confederate doctors as well! My mom purchased both in Vicksburg to do research on a novel about war surgeons which she never did get around to writing.

Brian - thanks - that book was there also, but already had two in my hands (and a pile awaiting to be read @ home, so thought I'd better not add TOO MUCH to that pile!) -  :D  Dave

Bogey

Quote from: mn dave on February 08, 2009, 06:20:07 AM
If you read crime fiction, we have a nice collection of author interviews over here:

http://thebigadios.yuku.com/forums/61

8)

Looks awesome Dave....thanks!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bogey on February 08, 2009, 06:29:52 AM
Looks awesome Dave....thanks!

You're welcome.

In addition, you can discuss crime movies and books in the main forum.

http://thebigadios.yuku.com/

Florestan

Jean Giono - The Horseman on the Roof
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Benji

Whoopsie, wrong thread!

I'm reading, erm... a greek cookbook. Moussaka anyone?

karlhenning

Go on, Ben! You just made that up!  ;D

Benji

Quote from: karlhenning on February 10, 2009, 08:17:16 AM
Go on, Ben! You just made that up!  ;D

I wish! Those were lines from a film, and now i've removed it so this little conversation we're having doesn't relate to my now-modified post above. *titter titter*  ;D

karlhenning

ChamberNut

Wagner's Ring - Turning the Sky Round (An Introduction to The Ring of the Nibelung)

by: M. Owen Lee

This is a very interesting, quick, enjoyable read!   :)  I recommend it to anyone just getting into Wagner's Ring. 0:)

rockerreds

Philip K. Dick-Flow My Tears,the Policeman Said

Haffner

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 10, 2009, 09:34:12 AM
Wagner's Ring - Turning the Sky Round (An Introduction to The Ring of the Nibelung)

This is a very interesting, quick, enjoyable read!   :)  I recommend it to anyone just getting into Wagner's Ring. 0:)

There's a good 'un.

Me: Just got done with Richard and Cosima :Biography of a Marriage. Excellent book.

Now: The Wagner Operas (Newman) again. Very informative read.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: rockerreds on February 10, 2009, 01:44:01 PM
Philip K. Dick-Flow My Tears,the Policeman Said

I remember that one. Good stuff.

Dr. Dread

Up next:

Henry James

Yes. Him.

The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Novels

ChamberNut

Quote from: KammerNuss on February 10, 2009, 09:34:12 AM

Again....this was just a fantastic, joyful read!  Loved it!!! :)