Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Dread

This was very good. But then, I like Carey's storytelling

Volume 2 is next.

Dr. Dread

orbital

Quote from: Corey on March 02, 2009, 06:28:54 AM
Finished Augie March -- easily the best thing I've read since Broch's Sleepwalkers back in November. Excellent, excellent novel.
I should move that one up in my reading queue  :)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bored the hell out of me with its cheap fiction quality, so I gave it up. Started "If On A Winter's Night A Traveler". Very amusing so far.

Lethevich

As always this is more of the same. It's not as bad as some fans say, it also has the same flaws as all the Discworld books (heavy handedness, repetition, sometimes pointing out the obvious, sometimes not pointing out enough) which become less endearing with each instalment. The style of writing is always enjoyable,* and though I am currently halfway through what is quite a lengthy book (as all his later ones are), it remains eminently readable.

*This cannot be overstated. Quality adult/comedic fantasy is hardly a genre that can fill many bookshelves...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

bwv 1080

Book that comes with 4CDs with short (4-5 minute) realizations of 74 northern Indian ragas.  The book has detailed notes on the structure of each raga and some great color plates of ragamala paintings

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/world/raga/index.html

Brian

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bogey on March 04, 2009, 06:09:27 PM
You are a twisted individual, Dave. ;D

Nah. I wouldn't really buy that. I bought The Big Sleep instead.  :)

Rabbity Baxter

The Pickwick Papers, by Dickens, and I am enjoying it immensely. Trying not to gobble it in all at once, and savour the experience for a few weeks instead.

Dr. Dread

Reading this...

A throwback to classic psychological horror stories, The Perils & Dangers of this Night is a tale of revenge and retribution set in the bleak winter isolation of Foxwood Manor, a boys' English prep school in the woodlands of Dorset. The stage is set when Martin Price, an arrogant former pupil, inexplicably shows up with his girlfriend, Sophie, joining the headmaster, his wife, and Alan Scott, an abandoned student, as the only residents of Foxwood on a frosty Christmas Eve. As the snow falls, a web of half-truths and innuendoes emerges, and things evolve into a bizarre game of hide-and-seek through the halls and dormitories of the old manor. As events progress throughout the night, shocking revelations emerge, culminating in a stunning conclusion on Christmas morning.

Just finished this...

From the pages of Neil Gaiman's multi award-winning Sandman series...Cast out of heaven, thrown down to rule in Hell, Lucifer Morningstar has resigned his post and abandoned his infernal kingdom for the mortal city of Los Angeles. But retirement means only opportunity for Lucifer's many and varied enemies, all of whom have bitter and long memories, and it's going to take more than quick wits to survive the coming storm. As Lucifer bids to reclaim his lost wings, so his mortal vulnerability is revealed, and from the grim tapestry of his past the agents of chaos gather, ready to feast on his damned soul!

And I liked it.  >:D

Benji

Finished Slaughterhouse 5 and I must say I loved it! I was particularly interested by the Tralfamadorian notions of seeing the 4th dimension, which is something I had been mulling over in my own mind before reading the book. I'm really fond of the concept that we are always alive, just that in some moments in time we exist and in some we don't. It is a comforting notion in the cold, hard world of this atheist.  :)  But then the implication of the concept, i.e. the illusion of free will is a difficult one to wrestle with, but then, free will or not, this 3rd dimensional is grateful he doesn't know what is coming next so he's just going to enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.  8)

Lethevich

Cornball, but whatever - it's proving readable.

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kullervo

Quote from: RepliCat on March 08, 2009, 06:19:13 PM
I was particularly interested by the Tralfamadorian notions of seeing the 4th dimension, which is something I had been mulling over in my own mind before reading the book.

Haha what?

Anyway, finished Il Nome della Rosa, loved it. Now onto Albert Camus's Le Premier Homme. So far I've found Camus interesting if a little dry; I hope this will improve my opinion.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Corey on March 09, 2009, 07:42:38 AM
Anyway, finished Il Nome della Rosa, loved it. Now onto Albert Camus's Le Premier Homme. So far I've found Camus interesting if a little dry; I hope this will improve my opinion.

Dry? Wow. I find Mann dry, not Camus.

Kullervo

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 09, 2009, 07:44:37 AM
Dry? Wow. I find Mann dry, not Camus.

Oh, maybe terse is the mot juste, hee hee. ;D

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Corey on March 09, 2009, 07:50:46 AM
Oh, maybe terse is the mot juste, hee hee. ;D

Gets to the point? I like him. ;)

mahler10th

Fabulous.   8)

Kullervo

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 09, 2009, 08:03:39 AM
Gets to the point? I like him. ;)

Well, Le premier homme was brilliant -- the most unreserved and personal Camus I've read. Very powerful even in its unfinished state.

Starting now: Gunter Grass - The Tin Drum

Dr. Dread

THE HUNTER - Richard Stark (Donald Westlake)

If you like hardboiled crime novels, it doesn't get any better than Stark's Parker series.