What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

The Civil War in North Carolina (1963) by John Barrett - purchased this book @ the Bentonville Battlefield, a North Carolina State Historic Site on a trip to the coast last fall; just getting around to a read - still early in the war, i.e. 1861-62 w/ the Union taking over the Outer Banks, Roanoke Island, and now moving onto the mainland coastal towns, such as New Bern & Beaufort; Ambrose Burnside (best known for his 'sideburns') was in charge of the northern forces - little updated writing has been done on North Carolina in this war which is surprising - will be a 'fun read' for me since I've travelled this state extensively and will have been to most of the places discussed!  :)

Valentino

"Ensemble c'est tout" by Anna Gavalda. Since my French is pardon league I read it in Norwegian where the title is "Saman er ein mindre aleine" (Together one is less alone). The English title is "Hunting and Gathering".
It is as good as any, and this is a recommendation.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Anne

I thought someone here was interested in Dostoyevsky.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated books by Fyodor Dostoevsky have also purchased Notes from the Undergound by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. For this reason, you might like to know that Notes from the Undergound will be released on March 30, 2009.  You can pre-order yours by following the link below.

Notes from the Undergound
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Price:  $6.95

Release Date: March 30, 2009

Other Versions and Languages
   Hardcover
Notes from the Undergound

Product Description
Dostoevsky's best-known and most groundbreaking work appears in this new edition in a revision of the "Constance Garnett" translation with an introduction by Charles Guignon and Kevin Aho. The introduction places the underground man in the historical context of nineteenth-century modernity's movement toward secularism, examines his psychological dynamics, and identifies the developments in Russian intellectual life that the work parodies and criticises. It further points up the contribution made by this novella - considered by Dostoevsky the key to his mature works - to the author's later 'novels of ideas'.

More to Explore

See more in Literature & Fiction > Classics > General
See more in Literature & Fiction > General > Classics
More New Releases
Top Sellers
Recommended for You
Sincerely,

Amazon.com
http://amazon.com

Dr. Dread

Dr. Dread

I haven't read this, but you have to love the cover.

Lilas Pastia

Just Finished Naguib Mahfouz' The Beginning and the End, a saga-type novel that takes place into 1930s Cairo. Mahfouz is the most celebrated writer of the Arab world, winning the Nobel Prize in 1988. A brilliant and extremely moving book.

Kullervo

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 17, 2009, 08:04:39 PM
Just Finished Naguib Mahfouz' The Beginning and the End, a saga-type novel that takes place into 1930s Cairo. Mahfouz is the most celebrated writer of the Arab world, winning the Nobel Prize in 1988. A brilliant and extremely moving book.

Ah, another author that's on my list. Sounds promising.

Slightly related, I have Pamuk's Black Book lined up for after The Tin Drum. Looking forward to it.

orbital

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 17, 2009, 08:04:39 PM
I've recently read his novella "The Day the Leader Was Killed". I liked it a lot. I have Cairo Trilogy waiting, but I am saving it for a period where I can devote some more time to reading.

Quote from: Corey on March 17, 2009, 08:08:11 PM

Slightly related, I have Pamuk's Black Book lined up for after The Tin Drum. Looking forward to it.
I don't know how they related they are, but you are in for a great treat. Get ready to explore the streets of Istanbul -blindfolded :D The novel is full of cultural references though. Let me know if you get stuck :)

nut-job

Reading Salmon Rushdie's "The Enchantress of Florence."  I am more than half way though, and I feel sorry for Rushdie.  He has been a favorite author of mine, but now it seems as though both his hot wife and his muse have deserted him.  I have derived little satisfaction from it so far.

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on March 18, 2009, 09:18:42 AM
I don't know how they related they are...

As in they are both Nobel Prize winners and from the Middle East. :)

Florestan

Quote from: orbital on March 18, 2009, 09:18:42 AM
I don't know how they related they are, but you are in for a great treat. Get ready to explore the streets of Istanbul -blindfolded :D The novel is full of cultural references though. Let me know if you get stuck :)

I'm reading "My Name is Red", my wife is reading "Snow". He seems to have a penchant for setting his novels in snowy, muddy, dark and eerie streets and corners. Not that I dislike it in the least, but just saying.  0:)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

orbital

Quote from: Corey on March 18, 2009, 10:17:53 AM
As in they are both Nobel Prize winners and from the Middle East. :)
Of course. I had their prose in mind, sorry.

Black Book is a fascinating piece of literature. In all aspects, I still think it is his best book to date (along with the Buddenbrooks-esque Cevdet Bey and Sons... incidentally, both debut novels of their respective authors). I hope you enjoy it as well.
-------
I am still not through "If On a Winter's Night A Traveller...". Certainly one of the most peculiar books I've ever read, but I don't know if I like it very much. I feel like I'm reading it more for its style than its substance  :-\

nut-job

Quote from: orbital on March 18, 2009, 10:32:39 AM
I am still not through "If On a Winter's Night A Traveller...". Certainly one of the most peculiar books I've ever read, but I don't know if I like it very much. I feel like I'm reading it more for its style than its substance  :-\

I can confirm that there is no substance, style is fascinating at first, but gets old long before the book is over, in my experience.

Kullervo

I tried reading Calvino's Invisible Cities but was bored in the extreme.

orbital

Quote from: Florestan on March 18, 2009, 10:22:08 AM
I'm reading "My Name is Red", my wife is reading "Snow". He seems to have a penchant for setting his novels in snowy, muddy, dark and eerie streets and corners. Not that I dislike it in the least, but just saying.  0:)
\
Can you guess the culprit? :D

I think you're right above. Once exception is The Silent House which takes place mostly in a summer vacation village. But despite the setting it tells a disturbing tale.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

orbital

Quote from: Florestan on March 18, 2009, 10:45:25 AM
Turkish urban topography?  ;D
That's responsible for much worse than a dozen or so novels  :-\

How about the culprit in the novel  >:D ?

Florestan

Quote from: orbital on March 18, 2009, 11:11:43 AM
How about the culprit in the novel  >:D ?

Ah, that culprit you mean... well, as in all good policiers, I'm pretty sure the culprit is not the usual suspect so I won't say Butterfly. And please don't tell me, otherwise I'm going to abandon the book... :)

orbital

Quote from: Florestan on March 18, 2009, 11:17:31 AM
Ah, that culprit you mean... well, as in all good policiers, I'm pretty sure the culprit is not the usual suspect so I won't say Butterfly. And please don't tell me, otherwise I'm going to abandon the book... :)

I'd never  0:)

Enjoy  :)

Dr. Dread