What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: AndyD. on June 10, 2009, 07:28:12 AM

Good to be back, and especially good to hear from YOU!

Well, he's put on 39 opus numbers since you were here last!

Haffner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 07:29:53 AM
Well, he's put on 39 opus numbers since you were here last!

Hi! Well, 39 could be numerologically our lucky number...

or something

karlhenning

I like 39 (= 3 x 13).

Arnold would have hated it . . . .

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Haffner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 07:33:56 AM
I like 39 (= 3 x 13).

But Ahhhh...Arnold!

The dude rules (and I don't mean the Big L.).

Bogey

Ange,
Is that you on the far left of your new avatar? ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

Quote from: Bogey on June 10, 2009, 09:33:36 AM
Ange,
Is that you on the far left of your new avatar? ;)

Hi!

Sigh. To be Ian Gillan in 1970....

Dr. Dread

This fat fantasy book just arrived from jolly old England.

I think I'll crack it open. I already know I like the writer.

karlhenning

This week I finished re-reading John Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor . . . so now I've started History Play: The Lives and Afterlife of Christopher Marlowe by Rodney Bolt.

It's certainly pretty good. If I were in theatre, I should get more of the sly allusions, I suppose;  but I am getting enough of them, to feel that my back is being sufficiently patted  8)

Diletante

Finished reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. It amazed me how many times the phrase "erect penis" came up.  ;D I enjoyed it very much, although I liked the other book by Murakami I've read (Kafka on the Shore) better.

I think now I'm going to start reading Rayuela by Julio Cortázar. I bought this a while ago and started it two times but didn't get far either time. I really want to read it, though, because Cortázar is one of my favorite writers. Third time's a charm, I guess.
Orgullosamente diletante.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 07:33:56 AM
I like 39 (= 3 x 13).

Was Malcolm suffering from Triskaidekaphobia?

??? ;)

val

HANS KÜNG:    Der Anfang aller Dinge (2005)

Küng is one of the greatest German theologians. In this book (The beginning of all things) he gives a good description of the most recent perspectives of the science. Refusing a literal approach of the Bible, he tries to find the kind of questions that are excluded from science, metaphysical questions, that can only, if accepted, have religious answers.
I suspect that many Christians will not like much this book, because Küng is very far from the traditional positions sustained by the catholic hierarchy.

Lethevich

(art book)

Oh man, this degenerate stuff would make Josquin vomit 0:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Valentino

Finished something rather bland: Tarnished Beauty by Cecilia Samartin. Maybe it was the Norwegian translation that messed it up.

Now the latest Anna Gavalda. French title La Consolante. My French is offendous, so I read it in Norwegian, where the title is Lykka er ein sjeldan fugl, or Happiness is a rare bird (my translation). I do not know if it's yet out in English. EDIT: It is. The Consolation Match. Terrific prose, anyway.

Welcome back, Andy!
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Dr. Dread

Y'know, I bought this used and though someone had scribbled on the cover with a fluorescent pen. But, WTF? They're all like that.

Valentino

Quote from: tanuki on June 11, 2009, 04:53:43 PM
Finished reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. It amazed me how many times the phrase "erect penis" came up.  ;D I enjoyed it very much, although I liked the other book by Murakami I've read (Kafka on the Shore) better.
So did I. There are other books by Murakami I liked better than Norwegian Wood:

A Wild Sheep Chase
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

in particular. Happy reading!
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

jwinter

Planning to make the best of some down time this summer, I have checked out The Teaching Company's Classics of American Literature course from my library.  My plan is to take my time, follow along and savor some good books.  My focus back in college was in British lit, so I haven't read a lot of these in many a moon, and more than a few are new to me. 

First up, Benjamin Franklin's autobiography.

If anybody else is silly enough to care to join me, give a shout, maybe we could start a reading/discussion thread.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

CD

Elias Canetti's Auto-da-fe was everything I look for in a novel; dreamlike, hallucinatory, hilarious and terrifying. It's one of the best things I've ever read.

Now reading: Ivo Andric - The Bridge on the Drina

Florestan

Quote from: corey on June 18, 2009, 06:35:12 AM
everything I look for in a novel; dreamlike, hallucinatory, hilarious and terrifying.

Then you don't make much of War and Peace, do you?  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

CD

Quote from: Florestan on June 18, 2009, 06:37:34 AM
Then you don't make much of War and Peace, do you?  :)

I haven't read it, but course the fact that a book couldn't be described in this way doesn't preclude me from enjoying it -- it's just that my favorites tend toward the surreal.